Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
you do not really hear much anymore about

psvita
wii u
3ds

i remember when the ps2 xbox 360 ect came people where talking about them for years and there would be lots of ads on tv for the consoles and games ect

why is this?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am pretty sure advertising online works a lot better nowadays than TV ads. Don't quote me on that because honestly that's just an opinion not a fact.

Well if you think about it, it's just cheaper and more widespread. I mean if you look at TV advertising, the most popular TV ads are for cars, the second most popular is food. Everyone likes cars and food. Video games, not so much. You could advertise on a network like G4 which is like only for "gamers" but that's a sinking ship.

When I make an ad for online, I don't have to pay a network to advertise it, I can upload it to my website or Youtube for free. You may spend some money advertising it on webpages but that's not nearly as expensive as a big TV network. Plus most gamers use the internet and you can target at demographics a bit better (advertising on a site like IGN or Eurogamer, for instance).

I mean I see a few TV ads for video games (I saw quite a few ads for Aliens: Colonial Marines and I think I saw one for God of War Ascension recently) but the internet is just easier, cheaper, and broader.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
People still queue before console launches, big events still take place and gaming is more present in everyday life than ever before - it's just the mediums that have changed.

Think back to the days of the XBox, PlayStation 2 and the Gamecube you're referring to. Remember any "Nintendo Directs" or "PlayStation Announcements"? The most you've heard about E3 was what you read about it, unless you were lucky enough to have fast Internet and download the entire event as a video file, since streaming wasn't as prominent as it is today. Even earlier than that, the primary sources of game-related info were actually magazines like "Nintendo Power" or "PlayStation Magazine" - magazines which are now seeing their downfall.

Gaming's doing just fine, there's no need to worry.

Deleted member 318366

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are still quite a few ads/commercials around for the wii u, 3ds and vita. they just kinda stopped showing them after a while lol i actually love getting bombarded with video game related ads on youtube everyday. :P

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I make an ad for online, I don't have to pay a network to advertise it, I can upload it to my website or Youtube for free.

Not to mention having marketers infiltrate online communities to shill their products all viral-like. Fucking sellouts.

Oh, by the way, have you guys heard of the Nintendo Wii U? You can get yours today starting at $300 wherever games and game accessories are sold. With the Wii U, U Win!

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the invention of Adblock plus, is it still just as easily?

I can't remember where I found it, but there was some article about how ridiculously low the usage of Ad Block is. I can't remember exactly, but it was just around 5%-10%, or something along those lines.

It seems crazy, but considering how a third to a half of all internet users still use Internet Explorer... it becomes a bit more believable.

ouch123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to mention having marketers infiltrate online communities to shill their products all viral-like. Fucking sellouts.

Oh, by the way, have you guys heard of the Nintendo Wii U? You can get yours today starting at $300 wherever games and game accessories are sold. With the Wii U, U Win!
Don't you mean, "U Wiin?"

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can't remember where I found it, but there was some article about how ridiculously low the usage of Ad Block is. I can't remember exactly, but it was just around 5%-10%, or something along those lines.

It seems crazy, but considering how a third to a half of all internet users still use Internet Explorer... it becomes a bit more believable.
Ya I suppose. I still see comments on GameTrailers and YouTube complaining about ads. Just as shocked about IE still being used...

ouch123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're going to have to take that up to my manager... who, uh, is me. Yes, you'll have to take that up with me.

And I say... no?
Then I say nay! Are you intentionally avoiding wordplay right now? Don't worry, it's natural for a young man! You won't become mute or grow hairy tongue or something. Just relax and have fun... :creep:

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TOPIC POLICE (warning, this is probably off topic so please immediately report)

Why is "Games Of Today" a bad choice of words to introduce the intent of this post? Because the intent is not about "Games Of Today" in general, but rather the excitement generated around games, and game ADVERTISING. These points would be better represented by a more specific title. I would suggest "Game Hype: The Past and Present of Advertising."

Penalization: Do 30 push-ups. If this is difficult, 15. If that is too difficult, do what you can.

narutofan777

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
ps vita - a lot of ppl don't care about it. req's cost too much.

3ds - no pokemon or a lot of good games.

wii u - no good games and no1 cares.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb