Games of the Month: September 2012

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Guild McCommunist, Sep 1, 2012.

Sep 1, 2012
  1. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    My previous subheader line was much more inappropriate than what I put.

If I missed a game you really want coverage on then simply send your write up to me (via PM). If it's good enough and follows proper formatting I'll add it here with credit to you! Check the "Other Releases" section at the bottom to see what games I would want write ups for but am not all too qualified to do myself. You can also do write-ups for games I didn't even list. Sometimes things slip my eye.

Some rules and stuff.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

Angry Birds Trilogy

Platform: 3DS, Xbox 360, Playstation 3
    Developed by: Rovio
    Published by: Activision
    Release date: September 25th (North America), September 28th (Europe(
    Genre: Puzzle
    My Hype Level: Not for this price
    GBAtemp Hype Level: BOO ANGRY BIRDS
    [​IMG]

I really have nothing against Angry Birds. It's not a bad series of games, just maybe not my thing. I thought a collection of Angry Birds games might be nice for consoles when this was announced but it's really quite a bad package for the price. It's just Angry Birds, Angry Birds Seasons, and Angry Birds Rio with some upped graphics, additional levels, and various control methods. No Angry Birds Space and at a $40 price point ($30 for 3DS), it's too rich for my blood.

Borderlands 2

Platform: Xbox 360, Playstation 3, PC
    Developed by: Gearbox Software
    Published by: 2K Games
    Release date: September 18th (North America), September 20th (Australia), September 21st (Europe)
    Genre: FPRPG (that's what the package on the first game said)
    My Hype Level: Eh, I'm very weary on this one.
    GBAtemp Hype Level: Probably some moderate hype

[​IMG]

I really enjoyed the first Borderlands but I'm not really sold on the second one. I'm just not liking the direction they're taking it in entirely. The humor seems just kinda dumb and the characters don't seem cool. The first game was funny and well done. Here it just seems like "LOL DUBSTEP". Plus with most of my friends off at college, I doubt I'd find anyone to play it with. And if you can't play Borderlands with friends, you just shouldn't play it.

Jet Set Radio HD

Platform: Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Vita, PC
    Developed by: Smilebit
    Published by: Sega
    Release date: September 18th (North America) [Vita version comes in October]
    Genre: Adventure
    My Hype Level: I'm eager to try it
    GBAtemp Hype Level: HOLY FUCK

[​IMG]

I never played Jet Set Radio so I'm eager to give this a shot. I just don't know if I should go for Xbox 360, PC, or Vita. But anyway, this seems to have been getting a lot of care from Sega despite being "just a HD port" and people are really looking forward to it. Hurray.

LittleBigPlanet Vita

Platform: Vita
    Developed by: Tarsier Studios/Double Eleven Studios
    Published by: Sony Computer Entertainment
    Release date: September 20th (Japan, Australia), September 21st (Europe), September 25th (North America)
    Genre: Platformer
    My Hype Level: Might give it a try later on
    GBAtemp Hype Level: Some hype from Vita people

[​IMG]

I haven't had much experience with LittleBigPlanet outside of the PSP version which was alright but forgettable. Yet again I never dabbled in the user content for the PSP version so that didn't help. This looks to have a much better creation suite and a good crop of features so I may give it a try when the price is right.

New Little King's Story

Platform: Vita
    Developed by: Marvelous Entertainment (?)
    Published by: Konami
    Release date: September 27th (Europe)
    Genre: Strategy
    My Hype Level: Would love to try it
    GBAtemp Hype Level: Under the radar

[​IMG]

Unfortunately it's only a European localization for this one so far. Little King's Story was one of the few bearable strategy games in my book since I've become so disenchanted with the genre. Hearing there was a sequel was great, and having it for the Vita was just icing on the cake. It's still TBA for the rest of the world but Europe struck gold on this one.

Other Releases

Most of these are titles I really don't know much about so write-ups are much appreciated
    • Tekken Tag Tournament 2: 9/11 (North America), 9/13 (Japan, Australia), 9/14 (Europe)
    • Dead or Alive 5: 9/25 (North America), 9/27 (Japan, Australia), 9/28 (Europe)
    • Marvel vs. Capcom Origins: 9/25 (North America)
    • FIFA 13: 9/25 (North America), 9/27 (Australia), 9/28 (Europe)
    Downloadable Content
    • Battlefiled 3: Armored Kill: 9/4
    • Quantum Conundrum: IKE-aramba!: 9/11

2. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    Pretty boring month. Only interesting game is Jet Set Radio and maybe New Little Kings Story (didn't play the first Wii one). I'll probably get Jet Set Radio HD on Steam assuming it's cheap.

3. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    You should play the Wii one, it's pretty good.

4. Black-Ice

Member Black-Ice Founder of the Church of Renamon

United Kingdom
    Tekken Tag 2 :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:
    +10

5. GameWinner

Member GameWinner Take your heart

United States
    LittleBigPlanet :wub:
    I hated the PSP title, maybe because it wasn't as fun as the PS3 title and the creation was boring.
    This one looks and plays like LBP2 and the online features that has been added to the game is definitely a plus.

6. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Borderlands 2 and NHL 13, oh how you'll make me orgasm :)

7. EyeZ

Member EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    Jet Set Radio is a def purchase, Borderlands 2...i'm still trying to make myself get into the first one as everyone says it's good.

8. Rasas

Banned Rasas Banned

United States
    I'll get Borderlands 2 if the reviews are good.
    Mark of the Ninja might be a decent XBLA title but might not be, Kirby on the wii is just a compilation with some extras, Tokyo Jungle is a mystery and the WoW expansion might not be really liked.

9. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    I don't have access to my Xbox (it being several states away), so that's going to hamper my gaming quite a bit. Still, it doesn't seem like I would be missing too much this month, though I wouldn't mind giving Jet Set Radio a spin.

10. Terenigma

Member Terenigma Terenigma everywhere

United Kingdom
    Looks like this is the month im going to be getting a vita. Also i didnt realise Jet set radio is coming to pc aswell! :yay: (Already own it on DC but might re-get it on pc)
    Borderlands 2 is also looking really good from previews altho i dont own any of the consoles to play it and i doubt my pc will run it, still, I will be hoping one of my friends get it so i can co-op with them locally!

Pretty good month for games if you ask me!

[EDIT] Re-reading the op, JSR is coming on vita in october? Ok, Vita = SOLD.

11. chavosaur

Reporter chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip
    United States
    Meh, mediocre month.
    October and November should be REAL promising :wub:

12. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    Boooring.

I'd like to see exactly what Borderlands 2 brings to the table before I get it. I'll probably end up getting it anyway though. I loved the first, but after beating it once it was just booooring.

Mildly interested in New Little King's Story. Looks fun, never heard of the game before though.

13. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    If I had a Vita I'd be all over New Little Kings Story, I'd prefer it if they stuck to the old art style of the Wii game but meh.

Everything else are just games where I'm sick of the series or in Borderlands 2 case I've played enough of the first game to not be overly that bothered.

Also Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Killer Rabbit is on PSN/XBLA on 26th (PC in October)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdIgUQW_Rco

14. EyeZ

Member EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    That actually looks pretty good, i don't know why, but i can't remember the last time i played a platformer or had the urge to play one.

I guess my taste in gaming has changed considerably. as that was the genre i always played.

15. narutofan777

Member narutofan777 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Afghanistan
    only interesting game is borderlands 4 me. october is dey winner. woo woo

16. Rasas

Banned Rasas Banned

United States
    Skyrim Heartfire is out for 360 now.

17. GamerzHell9137

Member GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Tekken? Ewwww
    Dead or Alive? Woooo!!

18. Hyro-Sama

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan
    Jet Set Radio looks interesting. Sega did make decent games in their dreamcast days so I'll give it a shot.