Games of the Month: July 2011

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Guild McCommunist, Jun 21, 2011.

Jun 21, 2011
  1. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    The DS actually has games coming for it! Holy shit! But otherwise, we may be nearing the infamous summer game drought.

If I missed a game you really want coverage on then simply send your write up to me (via PM). If it's good enough and follows proper formatting I'll add it here with credit to you! Check the "Other Releases" section at the bottom to see what games I would want write ups for but am not all too qualified to do myself. You can also do write-ups for games not bolded or games I didn't even list. Sometimes things slip my eye.

Some rules and stuff.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Solatorobo: Red the Hunter

Platform: DS
    Developed by: CyberConnect2
    Published by: Namco Bandai (Japan), Xseed Games (North America), Nintendo (Europe)
    Release date: July 1st (Europe)
    Genre: Action RPG
    My Hype Level: Might actually get me to play my DS again
    GBAtemp Hype Level: Some hype is getting up there.

[tn=200]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/56/SolatoroboJPBoxShotDS.jpg/245px-SolatoroboJPBoxShotDS.jpg[/tn]
    Despite my dire hatred for furries, this game still looks solid. It's got a decent dev behind it (CyberConnect2 has made .hack games and some Naruto ones), some nice variety, and some good graphics. Considering the DS is pretty much on its last legs nowadays, it's nice to see this and a few other swan songs coming out for it.
    [/p]

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2

Platform: DS
    Developed by: Atlus
    Published by: Atlus
    Release date: July 28th (Japan)
    Genre: SRPG
    My Hype Level: Probably my least favorite of the SMT games but still worth playing
    GBAtemp Hype Level: OH MY GOD I LOVE DEVIL SURVIVOR

[tn=200]http://files.g4tv.com/rimg_137x0/ImageDb3/275259_PROD/shin-megami-tensei-devil-survivor-2.jpg[/tn]
    I've kinda gotten burnt out of SRPG games and I find that any relationship I have with them has been permanently damaged, but SMT: Devil Survivor was one of the last SRPG games I did somewhat enjoy. I still think Persona is better in terms of SMT and Strange Journey really deserved a sequel over Devil Survivor, but it's not like it's bad. I do find it silly that the 3DS gets a remake of the first game (like all of a year or two after its release?) and not just a sequel. Hopefully this will get localized as well.
    [/p]

Star Fox 64 3D

Platform: 3DS
    Developed by: Nintendo
    Published by: Nintendo
    Release date: June 14th (Japan)
    Genre: Flight Action
    My Hype Level: If you're gonna remake the game, at least do Star Fox SNES
    GBAtemp Hype Level: OH MY GOD I LOVE NINTENDO

[tn=200]http://dsmedia.ign.com/ds/image/object/077/077814/Star-Fox_n3DS_BOX-tempboxart_160w.jpg[/tn]
    I'm not a fan of Star Fox 64. I said it. I actually like the SNES version better. I'm not trying to be a retrotard whose so "diverse" for liking the more "underdog" game more, but I just didn't like Star Fox 64. I hated Landmaster sequences and despite the SNES game's kinda corny looking graphics for this day and age, it still had some type of epic scale to it (particularly the space level where you're flying through spaceships and shit). Plus this really just seems like a lazy remake with some upped graphics, online multiplayer, and some stupid gimmick features like tilt support (whoopie) and having the game take a snapshot of you when you croak in multiplayer (who gives a shit).

It'll be overseas in two months, so hold yer horses.
    [/p]

El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron

Platform: Playstation 3, Xbox 360
    Developed by: Ignition Tokyo
    Published by: Ignition Entertainment
    Release date: July 26th (North America)
    Genre: Action Adventure
    My Hype Level: Kinda in the dark
    GBAtemp Hype Level: Not much hype

[tn=200]http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/object/073/073987/es_x360_pack1boxart_160w.jpg[/tn]
    Outside of the really interesting art style, I'm still kinda in the dark. From what I have read though, it feels like it'll be very artsy, but may just turn out to be wallpaper fodder than a great game. It's still worth checking out, but I'd suggest waiting until it's cheap.
    [/p]

Call of Juarez: The Cartel

Platform: Xbox 360, Playstation 3, PC
    Developed by: Techland
    Published by: Ubisoft
    Release date: July 19th (North America), July 21st (Australia), July 22nd (Europe)
    Genre: FPS
    My Hype Level: Looks mildly interesting
    GBAtemp Hype Level: Pretty much no hype

[tn=200]http://dsmedia.ign.com/ds/image/object/099/099861/call_of_juarez_cartel_360_final1boxart_160w.jpg[/tn]
    Ever since Red Dead Redemption, Wild West games have been getting a little more popularity. Call of Juarez, which has had a few games in the series, decided to mix it up with The Cartel by taking it from the old mid-late 1800s setting to a modern setting, but with themes of the Old West. Whether that'll be any good is a different story, and whether it'll make The Cartel stand out at all is also a different story. It just hasn't gotten a lot of publicity and it hasn't peaked much interest.

The same devs, however, are behind Dead Island, which is set to release in like September I think. So you may want to buy this game and support their future endeavors.
    [/p]

Other Releases

• Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D: 7/1 (Europe), 7/7 (Australia) (I did a write-up last month so don't baww)
    • Bit.Trip Saga: 7/26 (North America)
    • Super Pokemon Scramble: 7/28 (Japan)
    • No More Heroes: Red Zone Edition: 7/21 (Japan)
    • Catherine: 7/26 (North America) (already did a write-up last month)

DLC and Demos

• LA Noire: Reefer Madness: 7/12 (North America)

2. syko5150

Member syko5150 GBAtemp Syko!

United States
    Nothing really interesting for the US other than Catherine and the LA Noire DLC

3. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    FYI, Solatorobo is coming to the US sometime this year but I don't know of any official date. So if you're in the market for buying it, don't fret.

4. naglaro00

Member naglaro00 Mildly disturbed

Philippines
    A rather slow month :|

5. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    Personally I don't care about the Devil Survivor 2 Japanese release since I can't read Japanese.
    But American release [​IMG]

6. Windaga

Member Windaga GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I do! Hopefully the soundtrack gets released online [​IMG]

Atlus has confirmed that the game is coming to the states, though, so you might want to make note of that.

I'll be getting Resident Evil: The Mercenaries next week, but other than that, it looks like there's not much coming out until much later this summer.

7. Master Mo

Member Master Mo F.R.E.E.

Germany
    You really think the love for SF64 and this remake/enhanced port is merely because people love Nintendo?! I would have accepted that statement if you would have said that people love StarFox but to generalize the Nintendo-Fan-Community like this is just ridiculous [​IMG]

I´m gonna get RE:M but just if it has touchscreen-aiming. If that option is not available I think I`ll pass on it. Catherine (apparently a really hard puzzler) and El Shaddai (hopefully it is not as combat-heavy as Bayonetta, since that one didn`t pull me in as much as it could have with a little more variety) look great as well. I`ll keep an eye on the reviews, since I don`t know too much about both titles...

8. MigueelDnd

Member MigueelDnd GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Actually... Star Fox 64 3D doesn't have online multiplayer. They also changed the dialogues a little and it has Assault's voice actors. The only good thing is updated graphics... I don't think it's worth it.

As for this month's releases, I'll see if I pick up RE:M 3D, otherwise I think it's a "meh" month.

9. dgwillia

Member dgwillia The Bacon Lover

United States
    El Shaddai seems interesting.

Aside from that, only Catherine and EDF are interesting me in July

And no Online Multiplayer? Wow that fails

10. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    Devil Survivor 2?!
    Damn! Sign me up. Devil Survivor was epic and tough as hell. Strange Journey never really felt on par to DS in terms of difficulty, and Persona games are a joke in terms of difficulty. So do very much want...an English release date.

Solatorobo and El Shaddai I may have to check out. Seem interesting.

Definitely picking up Star Fox. Loved it to death on my N64. Would have preferred it to be the exact same as the original though.

Also preordered Catherine: deluxe edition. Gonna be awesome, and apparently incredibly hard.

11. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Can't wait for Solatorobo! I wanted to play the game for quite a while now. And Star Fox? Psh. Even if Nintendo has their name all over it, I'm still not gonna like it.

BTW, how're you liking Alice The Madness Returns, Guild?

12. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    I heard from my GS sources that it tanked a bit. It didn't live up to the hype at all. Also, only two people pre-order it, and they were the employees I talked to.

13. Raika

Member Raika uguu

Antarctica
    Gonna check out Solatorobo, watched the trailer and it looks pretty fun.

14. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Ouch, that sucks. Well, I might as well support it... [​IMG]

15. Nimbus

Member Nimbus sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1

United Kingdom
    *Has already pre-ordered european version of Solatorobo*

I still can't believe I accidentally sold my copy of Tail Concerto along with my old PSX....what was I thinking even selling the PSX let alone the game!?

Nice to see a spiritual....no a direct successor to the series. Not gonna pass that up for sure.

Other than that, Devil Survivor might be the only other one that interests me.

16. Ritsuki

Member Ritsuki ORAORAORAORA

Switzerland
    Completely forgot about Solatorobo. That's a nice suprise [​IMG] Not much interested by Devil Survivor 2 (first one was good, but I'm not really into T-RPG, execpt Final Fantasy Tactics Advance). Catherine and El Shaddai look interesting, but that's only curiosity. I'll buy them online if I feel bored during the summer holidays. And I definitely won't buy StarFox 64 3DS, too expensive for a game like that with no online mode.

17. dgwillia

Member dgwillia The Bacon Lover

United States
    FYI, Alice:Madness Returns is quite good. I played it a bit at a friends, planning to open my copy later today (Was so busy trying to Platinum Infamous 2 so i could trade it in).

Either way, i only paid 44.99 for my copy, so it was a steal either way.

18. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    I agree with what you said on your hype for SF64. I've never played SF SNES because it just missed my generation, but it's needed for that reason and because 64 doesn't really need one.

Of course if I had it my way it'd be a remake of Starfox 2.

19. Nimbus

Member Nimbus sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1

United Kingdom
    Dude...wouldn't we all.

I want a remake of Star Fox 2 too, well actually I guess you could say an "actual official release!"

I've played it (Of course not through a physical cart). It's so much better than the first one, and in some ways beats the 64 version. The music is pretty good too for the time, and the bosses are actually challenging, well....aside from Andross, he always seems to be a pushover. It's a cryin shame it never saw the light of day in a physical form.

20. Fel

Member Fel GBAtemp's Adventurer

Czech Republic
    I'm really excited about Solatorobo although I'd be more if I hadn't seen that picture where the main character transforms into a human. >.> Furries all the way! [​IMG]

And I read about El Shaddai on Siliconera, it actually looks pretty interesting.