Games of the Month: February 2011

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Guild McCommunist, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Jan 23, 2011
  1. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Well, it's the love month, and there's plenty to love here.

Small side note, fuck impossibilities. I now have to change my Duke Nukem Forever example in the rules area. Also, making this thread a little earlier than usual since next week is midterms, so odds are I'll be busier than usual.

If I missed a game you really want coverage on then simply send your write up to me (via PM). If it's good enough and follows proper formatting I'll add it here with credit to you! Check the "Other Releases" section at the bottom and see the bolded games to see what games I would want write ups for but am not all too qualified to do myself

Some rules and stuff.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Nintendo 3DS

By: Nintendo
    Release date: February 26th (Japan)
    My Hype Level: Will wait until Christmas, at least.
    GBAtemp Hype Level: OMG OMG OMG.

[​IMG]

Random image off of Google Images, so go cry if it's not the "final build" or whatever.

So much hype has been surrounding the 3DS in these parts. The games, the console's features, everything is being super praised. At first I was pretty solid on buying one sometime near the North American launch (since my birthday is probably around its release date), but now I'm much more skeptical. It has a weak list of launch titles and reports of the 3D causing issues, as well as many other mysteries, have made me decide on waiting. Plus there's much more stuff that's worth buying first.

I won't list all the Japanese launch titles but some notable ones are a new Layton game, Super Street Fighter IV, and Nintendogs + Cats.
    [/p]

Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation

Platform: DS
    Developed by: ArtePiazza
    Published by: Square Enix
    Release date: February 14th (North America), February 2nd (Japan, Ultimate Hits re-release)
    Genre: RPG
    My Hype Level: Hey there, dated game mechanics
    GBAtemp Hype Level: DRAGON QUEST OH MY GOD

[​IMG]

I'm just not terribly excited by games that have terribly dated gameplay mechanics and are just getting "remakes" with some better graphics basically. Sure, fans of the original will probably like the remake, but it's incredibly outdated to anyone looking for a new RPG experience. Maybe I'm just some "new age gamer lamer" but honestly, I wouldn't mind if they actually changed it up a bit.
    [/p]

de Blob 2

Platform: Wii, Playstation 3, Xbox 360, DS, 3DS
    Developed by: Blue Tongue
    Published by: THQ
    Release date: February 22nd (North America), February 24th (Australia), February 25th (Europe)
    Genre: Platformer
    My Hype Level: Do really want
    GBAtemp Hype Level: Probably will enjoy

[​IMG]

de Blob is still one of the better Wii games out there. It wasn't that challenging (although some of those challenge missions were bitchy) but it was a lot of fun to just literally paint the town red. Plus it sported some great graphics and a nice soundtrack. A sequel is something I'd definitely look forward too, and with HD console releases, it should be a worthy title across them all. I may just nab the Xbox 360 version myself (although end up pirating the Wii one).
    [/p]

Mario Sports Mix

Platform: Wii
    Developed by: Square Enix
    Published by: Nintendo
    Release date: February 7th (North America)
    Genre: Sports
    My Hype Level: Worth a shot, I enjoyed the basketball game at least
    GBAtemp Hype Level: It's a Mario game, so will try
    [​IMG]

I forget if I did a write-up for this so bear with me if I did.

I feel like I was one of the few people who actually liked Mario Hoops. It's still a pretty good sports game and worked pretty well on the DS. I'm glad that they're bringing back that game at least in this sports package, with Square Enix behind it again. Hopefully it'll be a worthwhile collection of fun sports games and not a slap-dash cash-in.
    [/p]

Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds

Platform: Xbox 360, Playstation 3
    Developed by: Capcom
    Published by: Capcom
    Release date: February 15th (North America), February 17th (Japan, Australia), February 18th (Europe)
    Genre: Fighting
    My Hype Level: Love the crossovers but not a big fan of fighters
    GBAtemp Hype Level: Do really want.

[​IMG]

I do love the Marvel and Capcom crossovers but I'm just not a big fan of fighting games. I mean if I would buy it I'd just ogle over the cool characters and probably not really play it. So I'll skip out on it but if you're a fan of fighting games, surely you've been waiting for this game since the days of the Dreamcast.
    [/p]

Bulletstorm

Platform: Xbox 360, Playstation 3, PC
    Developed by: People Can Fly/Epic Games
    Published by: Electronic Arts
    Release date: February 22nd (North America), February 24th (Japan), February 25th (Europe)
    Genre: FPS
    My Hype Level: Looks like fun but it'll probably be doomed to the fate of a lot of FPS games
    GBAtemp Hype Level: Haven't heard much buzz

[​IMG]

Some of my friends have been hyping this game but, odds are, it'll fall to the same fate as a lot of FPS games that are driven on multiplayer. It's just too hard to break through the mold of popularly played multiplayer FPS games. For the Xbox, it's always just Call of Duty (4, 5, 6, and Black Ops are all still in popular rotation) and Halo (both 3, ODST, and Reach are all played). For the Playstation 3, I assume it's Call of Duty again, Killzone 2, and maybe something like Resistance. For the PC, there's Call of Duty, Counterstrike, TF2, etc. For a new title to breakthrough all these established titles is rare, and odds are it'll have popular play for a week and then fall into the realms of obscurity.
    [/p]

Catherine

Platform: Xbox 360, Playstation 3
    Developed by: Atlus
    Published by: Atlus
    Release date: February 17th (Japan)
    Genre: Adventure/RPG (?)
    My Hype Level: Severely hoping for a localization
    GBAtemp Hype Level: Decent hype

[​IMG]

Usually I'm not a fan of "OOOH LOOK SEXY JAPANESE GAME" but Catherine looks very good. Having really gotten a kick out of Shin Megami Tensei games (Persona in particular), I've grown quite a liking to this game. Unfortunately, the odds of this receiving a localization seem kinda slim, but you never know. Atlus has localized a lot of their games that you'd never think would work here.
    [/p]

Killzone 3

Platform: PS3
    Developed by: Guerrilla Games
    Published by: SCE
    Release date: February 22nd (North America), February 24th (Australia), February 25th (Europe, Helghast Edition coming 28th)
    Genre: FPS
    My Hype Level: I don't own a PS3
    GBAtemp Hype Level: Probably decently hyped if they're a PS3 owner

[​IMG]

Killzone has come into its own since its buggy PS2 beginnings, but it's felt like it's been engineered to be a "Halo killer" or an attempt at it. Sure, character designs and environment are endlessly better than Halo, but it still just feels like a FPS game in the swarm of FPS games we get nowadays. Although this is just from my ill educated mind that hasn't had any real playtime with the series.
    [/p]

Other titles

- Dragon Ball Kai: Ultimate Butouden: 2/1 (Japan) [DS]
    - Naruto Shippuden: Shinobi Rumble: 2/8 (North America) [DS]
    - Radiant Historia: 2/22 (North America) [DS]
    - Bionic Commando Rearmed 2: 2/1 (North America), 2/2 (Europe) [PS3, 360]
    - DJ Max Portable 3: 2/17 (Japan) [PSP]
    - Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity: 2/24 (Japan) [PSP]
    - Rune Factory Oceans: 2/24 (Japan) [Wii, PS3]
    - Call of Duty: Black Ops: First Strike: 2/1 (North America, Europe) [Xbox 360]
    - Gears of War Triple Pack: 2/15 (North America) [Xbox 360]
    - Deathsmiles: Deluxe Edition: 2/18 (North America, Europe, Australia) [Xbox 360]

Stay classy!

2. boktor666

Member boktor666 Gbatemp's official Solar Boy™ Is Back!

Netherlands
    KZ 3 is gonna be the shit. kZ2 mp was good, owned cod, and graphically, KZ3 is tha bomb.

3. 431unknown

Member 431unknown Greatness Awaits

United States
    I'm Looking forward to DQ6 and MvC3....I'll probably check out Catherine and Bulletstorm a little and my son will definitely want Mario Sports Mix.

4. hkz8000

Member hkz8000 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    i suggest you change the killzone 3 platform to ps3........................

5. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    MvC:3 and Bulletstorm look cool, so i'll be checkin' them out.

Catherine looks fucked up and insane...so that's a must have.

EDIT: Might check out killzone 3, even though 2 sucked monkey brains. The PS controller just sucks too hard for FPS.

6. Paarish

Member Paarish Connor's Nublet

United Kingdom
    radiant mythology 3 is also coming out in feb... (you don't do JP games though)
    can't wait.... [​IMG]

7. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    I'll skip Catherine, I never liked games like that, horror/ecchi never should mix. The 3DS is a given as I already preordered it. Then there's Macross Triangle Frontier and Tales of the World Radiant Mythology 3.

Oh yeah if anyone wants me to do select JP releases, I'll do that since I pretty much import my games and would be great for the 3DS since my preordered 3DS is Japanese.

8. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    @hop: I think Guild would appreciate that. Just put the games into the proper format, so there is less work for Guild.

9. Empoleom

Member Empoleom GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    probably getting MvC3 later
    probably getting a american 3DS in April
    probably piracying Radiant Historia

10. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    I'll start in March as there are quite few releases in Japan for the 3DS that are GOTM material.

11. Guild McCommunist
    OP

United States
    I mean, I do some Japanese games (like Catherine), I just don't have enough experience to make accurate comments on some of them. It's kinda why I started opening it up to user input.

It does say at the top, bolded, if there's anything I didn't list that you want on there, make the write-up in proper format and send it to me and I will include it unless it's something completely worthless like "Imagine: Writing a Games of the Month Thread".

12. Juanmatron

Member Juanmatron Slater Color

Spain
    No Monado? FUUUUUUUUUUU!!!

13. Guild McCommunist
    OP

United States
    Since when was Monado coming out in February? All sources point to TBA still.

14. Juanmatron

Spain
    My "FUUUUUUUU!!!" comes because Monado won't be released on February [​IMG] Maybe it doesn't has date because is far better than Zelda Wii.

15. Guild McCommunist
    OP

United States
    Skyward Sword doesn't have a release date either. And I don't think anyone can draw a comparison between the two because we've seen only a few demos of Skyward Sword and people can actually play the Xenoblade.

16. Juanmatron

Spain
    Zelda Wii looks like a fiasco. Just like those "Zelda" DS and Twilight Princess. More puzzles bla bla, now with motion capture bla bla. My expectations are pretty low.

Anyway. Marvel Vs Capcom 3 looks pretty amazing.

17. toguro_max

Member toguro_max GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    I DO want MvC 3: FTW (anyone else here read Fate of Two Worlds, FTW, as For The Win???), since I stand on the "waiting since the Dreamcast days" side, but I must admit I'm kinda disappointed with the videos I've seen.
    First, I don't like the narrator speach (Player being said with car's a instead of the "e" sounding from play). Second, I don't like the fact the the winner's name is not announced (Like "Wolverine Wins!" instead of "Player 1 Wins"). Third, I was kinda expecting the Hyper Combo fishers to comeback, like in the original MvC (I loved how I could have a "Shinkuu Optic Blast" finish). Fourth, I wanted Phoenix Wright on this damn game, just like I wanted him on TvC...

Also, i loved how the "Duke Nukem Forever" rule was removed >-p

18. Fudge

Banned Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

United States
    You forgot about Test Drive Unlimited 2. That game looks awesome. Comes out on the 8th.

19. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Really?! Fucking awesome, my brothers loved that game, it's just about the only game they still play, they'll be so glad when I tell them this [​IMG]

Also, I still love those old game mechanics of DQ, just so addictive.

20. Goli

Member Goli RPG

Chile
    People who ordered it on Amazon (The game has been there for quite a while there) got an email saying their order, Monado in this case, was gonna be dispatched in February.
    Sadly, Nintendo hasn't made any official announcements regarding this subject.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.