Games of the Month: August 2011

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Guild McCommunist, Jul 22, 2011.

Jul 22, 2011
  1. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    It's... video games!

If I missed a game you really want coverage on then simply send your write up to me (via PM). If it's good enough and follows proper formatting I'll add it here with credit to you! Check the "Other Releases" section at the bottom to see what games I would want write ups for but am not all too qualified to do myself. You can also do write-ups for games not bolded or games I didn't even list. Sometimes things slip my eye.

Some rules and stuff.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked

Platform: 3DS
    Developed by: Atlus?
    Published by: Atlus (North America)
    Release date: August 28th (North America)
    Genre: Strategy RPG
    My Hype Level: Kinda a useless remake
    GBAtemp Hype Level: Probably will get hype near release.

[tn=200]http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/object/077/077767/smt_overclocked_tboxart_160w.jpg[/tn]
    I'm generally not a big fan of strategy RPGs but I enjoyed Devil Survivor quite a bit. The gameplay was pretty funny and the story was passable for a typical "OMG WE'RE IN JAPAN" romp. There is a sequel coming out soon but for some reason, they felt like remaking the first game (which was released all of 2 years ago) instead of just making the new game a 3DS game. I know it adds a bit of extra content to the original but with the 3DS sorely lacking new games, it seems like a silly decision to remake a 2 year old game than just give it the newest one.[/p]

Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2

Platform: DS
    Developed by: TOSE
    Published by: Square Enix
    Release date: August 28th (Europe)
    Genre: RPG
    My Hype Level: May still want to play
    GBAtemp Hype Level: Hype is brewing

[tn=200]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c3/DQM_Joker_2_Cover.jpg/200px-DQM_Joker_2_Cover.jpg[/tn]
    DQM:J was a pretty impressive title for the DS, although it did have some issues. I enjoyed it though and it sported some of the best graphics for the system. With the DS slowly winding down, it's nice to have a few good titles ending it's run (such as this, Aliens: Infestation, Kirby Mass Attack, etc).
    [/p]

No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise

Platform: Playatstion 3
    Developed by: Feel Plus/Grasshopper Manufacturers
    Published by: Konami
    Release date: August 16th (North America)
    Genre: Awesome
    My Hype Level: Biggest reason to buy a PS3 for me.
    GBAtemp Hype Level: Huh?

[tn=200]http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/object/045/045740/nomoreheroes_m_ps3boxart_160w.jpg[/tn]
    I absolutely love No More Heroes. It's a fact. I picked it up for the Wii a couple of years ago and found it to be amazing. A HD port really got my hopes up, but unfortunately there's no Xbox 360 version, meaning I'll probably have to sit it out. Still, if you're a PS3 owner and haven't played this amazing title yet, I suggest you do. It has Move support as well for the full motion control experience.
    [/p]

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Platform: Playstation 3, Xbox 360, PC
    Developed by: Eidos
    Published by: Square Enix
    Release date: August 23rd (North America), August 25th (Australia), August 26th (Europe)
    Genre: Action RPG?
    My Hype Level: Haven't been following it.
    GBAtemp Hype Level: Haven't heard much hype.

[tn=200]http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/object/142/14220588/deus_ex_hr_3601boxart_160w.jpg[/tn]
    I haven't really had the chance to play Deus Ex but almost everyone holds the first two in such high regards. A third game has been long in the making and it looks like you'll finally have your hands on it soon. I've seen some gameplay footage of it and it looks decently interesting but nothing I'll be running out to get. Still worth checking out to see if its lived up to the name.
    [/p]

Xenoblade Chronicles

Platform: Wii
    Developed by: Monolith Soft
    Published by: Nintendo
    Release date: August 19th (Europe)
    Genre: RPG
    My Hype Level: Looks nice
    GBAtemp Hype Level: Tons of hype/bawwwing

[tn=200]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d9/Xenoblade_box_artwork.png[/tn]
    Yeah yeah yeah, it's not getting localized Americans. Welcome to demographics. But anyway, this is probably the biggest RPG for the system (in English, at least) since Arc Rise Fantasia, which was quite forgettable to me. With the Wii library severely gimped on RPGs, particularly those of the "epic JRPG" variety, it looks like Xenoblade is a breath of fresh air. I look forward to giving it a shot.
    [/p]

Other Releases

• El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron: 8/16 (North America) (delayed from last month)

DLC, Demos, and Digital Games

• Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition: 8/26 (North America)

2. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    September is where it's at.

If I can get my hands on a DS, I'll probably try DQM:J2

3. ShawnTRods

Member ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    No More heroes! Man, I am running out of money.. lol.

4. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Xenoblade and DQM: Joker 2 are 2 very interesting titles, looking forward to them both. Nothing else really, but I didn't expect anything else from a summer month.

5. FireGrey

Member FireGrey Undercover Admin

Australia
    None of them catch my interest, what's coming out in September?

6. Guild McCommunist
    OP

United States
    A few noteworthy 3DS titles (Star Fox 64, Cave Story unless it got delayed, Dr. Lautrec, Bit.Trip Saga, Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection), Kirby Mass Attack, Dead Island, Disgaea 4, Resistance 3, Warhammer 40k: Space Marines, Tales of Xillia (for Japan), X-Men Destiny, and Gears of War 3.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Persona 2 PSP.

7. FireGrey

Member FireGrey Undercover Admin

Australia
    Oh cool, i'm more excited for October though, with Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One coming out.

8. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    Devil Survivor, I'll buy if I have some money.
    Deux Ex: Human Revolution will probably be a contender for the "GOTY" title. Regular edition for sure, Augmented Reality version if I have some money.
    No More Heroes: Heroes Paradise is a day one purchase.

September?
    Atelier Totori, Solatorobo, Persona 2: Hitler edition, and Ico/SotC collection.

9. VashTS

Member VashTS Beat it, son

United States
    no more heroes will require 3.60 for ps3, which is a no go for people that have cfw so the JAP version it is for us. Its ok though it has a lot of english.

I agree with you guild, NMH is really fun. I played through part 2 as soon as I got it, didn't stop once. Video games have hit a big drought this summer/year. i guess they are getting peoples hopes up for the new stuff.

10. camurso_

Member camurso_ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Portugal
    Jesus, just one game for wii...
    And a rpg...
    [​IMG]

11. Fudge

Banned Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

United States
    Where's Driver: San Francisco? Arcana Heart 3 has a EUR releases in August as well (the 19th IIRC).

12. hunter291

Member hunter291 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    Wtf ?! NMH XBOX360 didnt get a localization ? WHYYYY ? :'(

13. Fudge

Banned Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

United States
    IKR! It's not even fair [​IMG]

14. Guild McCommunist
    OP

United States
    Probably because it lacks effective motion controls and also because the PS3 version obviously sold better in Japan.

15. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    I'm not sure people hold the second Deus Ex game in high regard. The first one certainly but the second one is average at best. Not exactly bad but not outstanding either. I'm almost afraid to play the third game. I'm expecting it to be total bollocks - that way I'll either be right or pleasantly surprised.

16. hunter291

Member hunter291 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    but... but... Toravisuuuu TT_____TT why did it "obviously" sell better ? just because this version has some kind of blue magic ps3 dildo that you can swing around ? unfair -.- hmm... seems like I have to play through the japanese version again

17. deathking

Member deathking GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Most looking forward to game is El Shaddai , this is a cool mix of devil may cry , sick graphics and a bible story by a Japanese company.
    the character design and levels look so weird .

18. Guild McCommunist
    OP

United States
    The Xbox 360 is hardly popular in Japan. Given a choice between a PS3 version and a Xbox 360 version of a game, they'll definitely chose the PS3 version.

The Japanese version didn't even have motion controls, it was released before the Move was. But when the Move came out they figured it'd just be wiser to keep it isolated to a single console (less production costs and I doubt NMH:HP will be selling like hotcakes) and it may as well be the console with Wii-like motion controls.

19. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    A large number of people have been playing the leaked public builds.

I've yet to hear a single negative response about the game so far.

20. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    Definitely getting Devil Survivor Overclocked (I missed supporting the original) and No More Heroes.

Xenoblade Chronicles interests me but I don't think i've actually looked into it too much to say i'm super hyped. I'll likely try it out near release though.