Games of the Month: April 2013

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Guild McCommunist, Mar 21, 2013.

Mar 21, 2013
  1. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    April showers bring HAH GAAAAAAAAY flowers.

If I missed a game you really want coverage on then simply send your write up to me (via PM). If it's good enough and follows proper formatting I'll add it here with credit to you! Check the "Other Releases" section at the bottom to see what games I would want write ups for but am not all too qualified to do myself. You can also do write-ups for games I didn't even list. Sometimes things slip my eye.

From now on, I'm going to include a template for submissions. Simply fill in the template below and PM me.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

Some rules and stuff.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers

Platform: 3DS
    Developed by: Atlus
    Published by: Atlus
    Release date: April 16th (North America)
    Genre: RPG
    My Hype Level: Flaccid
    GBAtemp Hype Level: Halfy

[​IMG]

I don't even know what this is just that it's a Shin Megami Tensei game which is usually like the non-retarded JRPG series but still kinda eh. Best you fill in this part.

Soul Sacrifice

Platform: Vita
    Developed by: Marvelous Studios, SCE Studios Japan
    Published by: Sony Computer Entertainment
    Release date: April 30th (North America)
    Genre: Action
    My Hype Level: Halfy
    GBAtemp Hype Level: Halfy

[​IMG]

Eh? The game did pretty well in Japan but I'm not really sold. It kinda strikes me as overly grimdark and broody, which I guess is semi-acceptable in certain situations, but they're also trying to fit in like... some sort of morality system or something? Doesn't feel right. It's got Keiji Inafune on it but that name means as much to me as like... any other name so I'm not getting sold on that. I'll wait for reviews I guess.

Injustice: Gods Among Us

Platform: Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Wii U
    Developed by: NetherRealm Studios
    Published by: Warner Bros. Interactive
    Release date: April 16th (North America), April 17th (Australia), April 19th (Europe)
    Genre: Fighting
    My Hype Level: Halfy
    GBAtemp Hype Level: Halfy to full erection?

[​IMG]

I really enjoyed Mortal Kombat but I never thought I would. The new game is actually one of the best fighters I played. Really great flow to it, rather well balanced, tons of content. If you haven't played it, do so. This is made by the same team, it kinda feels like the apology letter for Mortal Kombat vs. DC. I'm just not too into the DC library (or comics in general) and it can't sell me on the non-DC cast since it's ONLY DC characters but for a DC fan or a fighting fanatic this should be worth it.

Dead Island: Riptide

Platform: Playstation 3, Xbox 360, PC
    Developed by: Techland
    Published by: Deep Silver
    Release date: April 23rd (North America, Australia), April 26th (Europe)
    Genre: RPG?
    My Hype Level: I WAS IN THE POOL
    GBAtemp Hype Level: Flaccid

[​IMG]

Hey guys, remember Dead Island? It was that sorta crappy game that had a really emotional trailer to it only to be completely misleading and instead just a retarded action RPG? Well did you know it's getting a sequel? This looks so promising! I didn't even know this was coming out in a month, but it is. Woofuckinghoo.

Star Trek: The Game

Platform: Playstation 3, Xbox 360, PC
    Developed by: Digital Extremes
    Published by: Paramount Digital Interactive, Namco Bandai
    Release dates: April 23rd (North America), April 26th (Europe, Australia)
    Genre: TPS
    My Hype Level: Halfy?
    GBAtemp Hype Level: Flaccid

[​IMG]

So I'm a pretty big fan of Star Trek and I really liked the last JJ Abrahms movie. The next movie, Into Darkness, is also setting me to stun, so I'm looking forward to it. Then there's also this game coming out. I'm still unsure about it. On one hand it's a licensed game. It's using the JJ Abrahms Star Trek universe but it's a completely different story. It's not your standard movie tie in. It's also been getting decent press. But I just don't feel anything for it. First off, it's Kirk and Spock versus the Gorn, the infamous cornball alien from TOS which they revamped for Star Trek Enterprise and Star Trek Online in the hopes to make them more "viable". Also I just feel an action game isn't the way to go for Star Trek. The franchise is known for its great plots, characters, and themes. In recent years its been more about the sci-fi and action, which I'm fine with, but I definitely enjoy the TNG-era stuff more. It's made by Digital Extremes, who made Bioshock 2, The Darkness II, and a bunch of Unreal Tournament games. So nothing horrifically bad, just kinda "eh". I dunno, maybe when its in the bargain bin.

Other Releases

Most of these are titles I really don't know much about so write-ups are much appreciated
    • Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge (Xbox 360/Playstation 3)
    • Defiance
    Downloadable Content

• Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
    • Assassin's Creed III: The Tyranny of King Washington - The Redemption
    • Dishonored: The Knife if Dunwall

2. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Fuck you gobshite.

Sequel looks a bit too "should have been DLC" for me. They could have easily spent the time fixing some issues but it just looks like it's more of the same.

3. Guild McCommunist
    OP

United States
    It's just hard to take a game seriously that goes from this:

To this:

4. Hadrian

United Kingdom
    I liked that there was none of the wank that was in the trailer.

5. Guild McCommunist
    OP

United States
    Well it's two things to have a trailer showing a very emotional, surreal moment and then have a game with a zombie rap and a comical clown car cast of characters.

It just sends mixed messages and makes the game either deceiving or overly pretentious. It's like having a game like Spec Ops: The Line have the credits roll with Capt. Walker dancing to "Disco Inferno".

6. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Well, if we get some more criken videos out of the next Dead Island, it's worth it.

Injustice looks pretty good, but I think I'm going to wait for the price to go down. Otherwise, April is pretty sparse when it comes to games, but that's not too bad - maybe I'll be able to save some a little bit of money before this year's heavy hitters are out.

7. Hadrian

United Kingdom
    In terms of other games, there is a lot vying for my cash this month.

I'm looking forward to the Star Trek game, I just have to pretend I'm not play Kirk or Spock. It looks like it matches up with the new movie in terms of action and gun toting. I'm not expecting the best game but something that is a solid shooter, the developers have certainly treated it like they would with their own titles and spent a lot of time making sure it's not the standard movie tie in.

Injustice looks great but there's no PC version so I probably won't be playing it until I get a Wii U.

Defiance seems to have a lot of hype behind it but it looks a bit like a bog standard MMO.

Some you've missed:

Evoland for the PC on April 4th. There is a lot of hype for this in the indie circles and it's something I'm very interested in...though I can't say I like the look of the 3D parts.

Age of Empires II: HD Edition out on April 4th. The original was great, all they did was HD the game. I've already got the first one so I won't bother paying £14 for a prettied up version.

God Mode from Atlus for PC/XBLA/PSN is out on April 19th. Looks like mindless fun, I might grab it in a Steam sale.

Don't Starve for PC April 23rd. It's a "wilderness survival" game...kinda like a arty farty Survival Kids. I like the look of it.

8. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    I just checked, the only WiiU game coming out in April is InJustice.

Probably not a good sign... at least there's hundreds of hours with Monster Hunter and a lot of hours with Lego City.

9. GameWinner

Member GameWinner Take your heart

United States
    Looks like it's going to be a slow month.

10. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States

Summer usually is slow. I, for one welcome it. I really have a huge backlog to take care of. Especially since the PS4 is coming out before the year is over.

11. buyme200
    This message by buyme200 has been removed from public view by p1ngpong, Mar 23, 2013.
    Mar 23, 2013
  12. Guild McCommunist
    OP

United States
    March is really huge actually so that should keep you busy.

Although now we're hitting the gaming dry zone, most of the big releases are coming September.