(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i3pIn.jpg
(Thanks to @akuchan for the excellent banner!)​

Sorry about missing last month, it was just a busy one for me. But regardless, Games of the Month returns, no April Fools here!

If I missed a game you really want coverage on then simply send your write up to me (via PM). If it's good enough and follows proper formatting I'll add it here with credit to you! Check the "Other Releases" section at the bottom to see what games I would want write ups for but am not all too qualified to do myself. You can also do write-ups for games I didn't even list. Sometimes things slip my eye.

Some rules and stuff.

- No flaming. If I list a game you don't like, too bad. If I don't, too bad.
- This is mainly North American releases, sorry. I'll, on occasion, do a European or Japanese release if it's big enough and not already out in America.
- If a game is already released in English and is being released again for another region, I won't bother adding it. Like say if Half Life 2: Episode 3 was out in America in April (it won't) and it came out in May in Europe, I won't list it for May. I'll also do the same if a game was released in English (aka Europe or America) and is being released in Japan.
- I get my dates from GameFaqs, Wikipedia, and IGN, so if a date is wrong don't blame me. You can, of course, point it out and ask me to fix it if you have the right date.

Rhythm Thief and the Emperor's Treasure

Platform: 3DS
Developed by: Sega
Published by: Sega
Release date: April 5th (Europe), April 12th (Australia)
Genre: Rhythm
My Hype Level: I don't get the hype
GBAtemp Hype Level: Some people are going nuts

3DSRhythmThiefRPRatingboxart_160w.jpg

Okay, can someone explain why some people are going crazy over this? Like it doesn't look bad, but it doesn't look like some game changer or anything. I could see the hype for your Super Mario 3D Land, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Mario Kart 7, whatever, since they're all Nintendo franchises and most anything Nintendo branded gets hype. But this is a new IP by Sega and from what I saw it just kinda looks like... a rhythm game. But it didn't appear to have like any music licensing behind it (unlike Rock Band, Guitar Hero, even Elite Beat Agents) or have a big enough franchise to propel it (like Theatrhythm Final Fantasy). It's just... a rhythm game. I mean it doesn't look bad or anything, but why people are saying this is the greatest 3DS game since... whatever. Just kinda puzzles me.

Devil May Cry HD Collection

Platform: Xbox 360, Playstation 3
Developed by: Capcom
Published by: Capcom
Release date: April 3rd (Europe, North America, Japan), April 5th (Australia),
Genre: Action
My Hype Level: Only DMC3 is really necessary to play
GBAtemp Hype Level: Yet another HD collection

DMC_HD_PS3_PACK_FRONT1boxart_160w.jpg

Really, if you wanted the greatest DMC experience, all you need to play is 3. The other two are passable but none of them are on the level of DMC3. Still, it's $40 for 3 games. However, I haven't heard the greatest things about this HD collection, especially compared to the really good ones, so if you already have a good copy of DMC3, there's really not too much of a reason to give for this.

Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention

Platform: Playstation Vita
Developed by: NIS
Published by: NIS
Release date: April 17th (North America), April 20th (Europe)
Genre: SRPG
My Hype Level: Not my killer app
GBAtemp Hype Level: Weaboos are probably interested

disgaea_absence_of_detention_tboxart_160w.jpg

If you know me well enough, you should know of my complete avoidance of SRPGs. I can't stand them any more. The market was absolutely overpopulated with them last generation. Both the PSP and the DS just had such a massive flood from the genre that I really couldn't stand any more of it. And I blame Nippon Ichi in part for it. All they seemed to due was push out SRPGs, particularly for the PSP. Between Disgaea, ZHP, all this other stuff, it just made me think "can they do anything else?" Yeah, they did Disgaea Infinite, but it was still just for Disgaea fans only, and then there was the Prinny games but, again, appeals to Disgaea fans. The whole company feels like a one trick pony, stuck on a single genre and if they're not, they're stuck on the same art style. Regardless of all this, the game will probably take up a chunk of your time if you like this sort of thing, but I'll be waiting for something much better to waste my time on. Or I could just get Lumines, that would work.

Kinect Star Wars

Platform: Xbox 360
Developed by: Terminal Reality/LucasArts
Published by: Microsoft
Release date: April 3rd (North America, Europe), April 5th (Japan, Australia)
Genre: Shit
My Hype Level: KILL IT WITH FIRE
GBAtemp Hype Level: I AGREE

star_wars_kincect1boxart_160w.jpg

God, just look at this shit heap. Remember that Star Wars demo for the Kinect when it was first announced? It kinda gave us the feel of "Hey, maybe the Kinect would be absolutely awesome for Star Wars!" I mean think of it. You can do your lightsaber battles, throw Stormtroopers with the Force, and actually do it instead of pressing buttons! How awesome! But it devolved into this lump of turds. Its existence just angers me. Everything about it looks terrible. From that shit-eating cover to all these awful "family fun" ads. I mean we get shit like this but we can't get a proper Battlefront sequel? Eat my ball sack LucasArts, eat it hard.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (Enhanced Edition)

Platform: Xbox 360
Developed by: CD Projekt/Metropolis Software House
Published by: Warner Bros. Interactive
Release date: April 17th (North America, Europe, Australia)
Genre: RPG
My Hype Level: Mildly interested, would definitely buy when it goes on sale.
GBAtemp's Hype Level: Probably played it on the PC if they were already interested

witcher2_xbox360_finalboxart_160w.jpg

I've heard some really positive things about The Witcher series as a whole and I'm glad to see it coming to consoles... Unfortunately, it's The Witcher 2, with the original left high and dry. This is really what offsets me about it. I'd really want to know the whole story and stuff of the previous game before jumping into the sequel. It's why I criticized Mass Effect 2 for the PS3 so much. On the plus side, the developers have been making a big deal about this "Enhanced Edition", showing that they're taking a lot of care and effort into making a good Xbox 360 port, which I can't say for a bunch of other WRPGs (like Divinity II or Two Worlds). Still, I'm definitely interested in it, and if it goes on sale for like $30, then I'll bite.

Prototype 2

Platform: Xbox 360, PS3, PC
Developed by: Radical Entertainment
Published by: Activision
Release date: April 24th (North America, Europe, Australia)
Genre: Action
My Hype Level: Was never interested in trying the first game
GBAtemp's Hype Level: Doesn't feel like anyone cares

P2_PS3_Radnet_Packfront2boxart_160w.jpg

It's the sequel to the game no one really cared about or wanted, Prototype 2! It kinda fits into that whole "open world playground" thing if I understand this right, kinda like the emo cousin of Crackdown. The original was apparently pretty average, not bad enough to die but not good enough to get a good fanbase. But hey, sequels can be promising for games like that. We all remember Assassin's Creed, right? It was not bad enough to die but not good enough to actually be worth a lot, and it pooped out an excellent sequel and, hell, I really liked Brotherhood and Revelations too. Maybe Prototype 2 will save the franchise from mediocrity. Or it could just fall into the same place as the first game it'll just rot in a ditch.

Other Releases

Most of these are titles I really don't know much about so write-ups are much appreciated
  • Xenoblade Chronicles: 4/6 (North America)*
  • Spirit Camera: The Cursed Memoir: 4/13 (North America)
  • House of the Dead 4: 4/17 (North America)
  • Trials Evolution: 4/18 (North America, Europe)
  • Bloodforge: 4/25 (North America, Europe)
*Before you all bitch and moan about "NO XENOBLADE????", I did a write-up for the European release a while ago, or so I thought. As I've mentioned before, I don't do re-write-ups unless they're really warranted. This is just a localization of a game you probably all played already with the European version, so no, I won't do another write-up. Also that means we don't need another write-up so don't bother submitting one.

Downloadable Content
  • Asura's Wrath: Episode 15.5 - Defiance: 4/3 (North America), 4/4 (Europe)
Notes to Readers

I'm still looking for...
  • A banner graphic. Make it say "Games of the Month" and have it themed with GBAtemp and stuff (include the logo, color scheme, etc). It's probably best to leave the month blank so it can easily be inserted every month. I may occasionally call on you for the holidays to make it more holiday themed. Could also use a front page graphic for the front page post on this.
If you're interested in helping, just send me a PM. So long as your submission is good, I'll be sure to include you for Games of the Month.

celeron53

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just wondering, is there a way to subscribe to your "Games of the Month" topics?? I'm not talking about following the topic, but getting a notification whenever you start a new topic for each month. I hope you get what I'm trying to say...

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering, is there a way to subscribe to your "Games of the Month" topics?? I'm not talking about following the topic, but getting a notification whenever you start a new topic for each month. I hope you get what I'm trying to say...

You wish to subscribe to his newsletter?

Reactions: 1 person

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Not that I know of, you can subscribe to the forum but you'll be notified of any new topic posted here (and there's a lot). Best thing you can do is just check here during the beginning or end of a month and subscribe to the current topic. Otherwise, I don't think there's a way to be notified of specifically these topics.

celeron53

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

You wish to subscribe to his newsletter?
Yes, I guess that is the best way to put it. I'm not sure if GBATemp has an option like this yet though.

Slave

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I am just Hyped about Spirit Camera: The Cursed Memoir: 4/13 (North America) it just looks fun, I have my preorder for months

The single player seems to have a cool story that intertwine with the lore of the Fatal Frame Series, with a bonus of a lot of mini "ghostly" games to hunt and puzzles with the augmented reality of the 3DS... cant wait for it!

here's a nice Single player story trailer (let it slideshow after the video for other tidbits of gameplay)
http://www.jeuxvideo.fr/jeux/spirit-camera-the-cursed-memoir/video/video-bande-annonce-3-introduction-412938.html

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Plus DMC is almost as great as DMC3. They're very different in tone, and you can see the roots that first game has in it's Resident Evil origins, but to say it's not worth playing is a bit unfair. The only really bad thing about the first DMC is the weird change in style at the end of the game....

DMC2 on the other hand needs to go find ET's landfill....

Sir VG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
NO XENOBLADE?! OMGWTFBBQ.

Nah, I'll forgive you. However, that's really all I care about for gaming releases until ~June 19. Or whenever The Last Story comes out.

/already owns the European Xenoblade
//Still getting the US version.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I've already completed Witcher 2 on the PC, superb game, much more an RPG than Skyrim, and a very close second to that game IMHO. I'm the biggest Skyrim fan on the 'temp I think, but Witcher 2 was just so much deeper in gameplay/combat/personalization..... Not to mention the graphics looked STUNNING, even compared to Skyrim.
Just wonderful, was really noticeable. it was built for the PC as primary platform.
The world is much smaller though, overall content also much shorter.

Also I see you have some fears of not being able to understand Witcher 1, well I can assure you it's not necessary to play the first one. The Witcher 2 has such an extensive database/diary thingy, it really explains all the characters, their background and previous achievements, amazing stuff. Comparable to that of Assassins Creed 2 and Brotherhood, but even more extensive and funny. The story is impressive and their are a lot of characters though, it's not going to be easy to follow if you just play it once a week. I completed it in 5 days, and I really read all the backgrounds, and I feel I really understood it.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never thought I'd say this, but it's a relief to see such a nice and relatively clear month (minus the Witcher II, but I'll probably wait for a sale as well). I can finally start catching up to everything I missed in November (and by that, I mean Skyrim).

Reactions: 1 person

Just Another Gamer

星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
Strangely enough I never finished Disgaea 1 or 2 but i'll probably get 3 just to add my collection but at the moment i'm sure to occupy myself with some PC VNs while waiting for Persona 2 part 2 and some other PSP releases next month.

D

Deleted User

Just a heads up, you don't need to have played the Witcher 2 to understand the whole story. They barely connect in any way. Its like two separate whole events.

Smuff

Fossilized Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Prototype was an almost exact copy of Assassin's creed, but with a futuristic sci-fi theme.
Even the main protagonists' costumes were almost identical - Compare the hoodies.

Having said that, it was quite an enjoyable game, even if not particularly ground breaking.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse