Games not showing up after NAND restore

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Stephano, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Stephano
    OP

Stephano I love you Charlie

Feb 18, 2016
    United States
    On the floor of the Engineering building
    So, my NNID was on another 3ds and i wanted it moved back to my first ever 3ds. This 3ds had all the games on it that i purchased from the eshop. I did not want to loose my saves or re-download them so i created a NAND backup. I backed up my memory card, then formatted the system, transferred my ID to it, restored the backup, and none of my games except DSi ware titles were there. If i re-download them from either the eshop or the freeshop, will my saves still be there?

2. Giodude

Giodude Ruler of Italy

GBAtemp Patron
    Giodude is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    When you format the console, you're creating a new encryption, meaning everything you did after format the 3ds does not recognize anymore

3. Stephano
    OP

Feb 18, 2016
    United States
    Gotcha. So what about the saves? everything was backed up. Is there any way to save the saves?

4. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Restoring a backup also restores the SD encryption key, but if you formatted the system with the card inserted, the appropriate files have been removed from the SD (since of course they didn't expect you reversing the transfer)

5. Stephano
    OP

Feb 18, 2016
    United States
    So what does that mean for me considering i have a backup?

6. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    that you'd better have a backup of the SD too (preferably made at a time as close as possible to the nand backup)

7. Stephano
    OP

Feb 18, 2016
    United States
    I made one right before i did the NAND backup.
    Now that i think about it, i may have never put my old Nintendo folder back on the SD card. Ill try that...

Edit: That was the issue. I could have sworn that i restored my memory card, but i guess i was wrong. Thanks for the useful info though.

Last edited by Stephano, Jun 11, 2017
    Ryccardo and Giodude like this.