Games more fun when you are a kid?

MrErdo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I remember as a kid playing Pokémon Red. It was the first RPG game I played. It was really a new world that I was hooked on. I played it everyday and it felt like a new world. Now I launch up that game and I don't feel anything. Sure it is outdated right now but even when I play Pokémon Moon which is the latest I don't feel that same excitement I felt as a kid playing that first Pokemon game. It really started making me think. It isn't the graphics since that got much better. It isn't the story since the story line in Pokémon got better. What is it then? I guess the person changed. I grew up. I'm mid 20'ies right now. I can't really put a finger on what changed. I guess I just got use to games and it doesn't excite me anymore?

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Most definitely they were, I remember exploring every inch of whatever games I had the fortune of getting. Had to find every secret, clear every goal. These days I'm simply not nearly that motivated, nor do I have the time. It especially doesn't help when I look at games and just think oh, another copy of X, Y or Z that I've already played a dozen times. Sure the graphics are newer and nicer but it just feels like playing the same thing over and over more often than not.

Reactions: migles and Aerocool

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
They definitely held more wonder, as kids aren't familiar enough with game design to know what to expect, or at least I wasn't. I definitely encounter less frustration with games as an adult, though, mostly because game design has come a long way and I'm just generally better at playing games. My best gaming memories are the most recent, but like it's been said, those past experiences stood out more because of my life's context.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
As you get older, you get many other interests. As a kid, playing videogames is probably the most stimulating thing your brain can get. So it's normal.
he probably back then had like 4-10 games, or knew about that 20-30 existed (or he was rich lol)
didn't have a "real way" to pirate..
nowadays you have like billions of choices between all the roms for old consoles and pc games...
can get consoles for really cheap and softmod them...

and you know, as a kid i would spend hours trying to figure out the bubbles inside the clothes washing machine..
as a kid anything new is new...
as a grown up my brain thinks "ho, this new thing come from that 2 old things"

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Everything is new as a kid, they are programmed to be amazed at new things. Do you also remember feeling a sense of wonder when exploring underneath your house, or climbing a tree, or exploring storm water drains? You didn't know what could happen, and it was amazing. Adults can't feel that sadly, as they already know exactly what's out there and they aren't programmed to feel like that anymore. I always feel sad when I see 10-13 year olds trying to be as grown up as possible. They still can feel that feeling, and they're trying as hard as possible to move into the boring stage of life which lasts forever until they die. The child part is so short, they should be hanging onto it for as long as they can :-(

Reactions: VinsCool

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Do you also remember feeling a sense of wonder when exploring underneath your house, or climbing a tree, or exploring storm water drains?
i still have that feeling :C but now i don't have a crazy funny girfriend that likes to do that stuff :C
doing it alone feels weird :C and if i do it with friends the police will be called because neighboors think we are thieves :C

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
i still have that feeling :C but now i don't have a crazy funny girfriend that likes to do that stuff :C
doing it alone feels weird :C and if i do it with friends the police will be called because neighboors think we are thieves :C
Lucky!! If you are short you can try dressing in kids clothes, maybe you can get away with it :-) Or take up nannying and bring the kids along on adventures.

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Lucky!! If you are short you can try dressing in kids clothes, maybe you can get away with it :-) Or take up nannying and bring the kids along on adventures.
with all theese "pedo stuff" being the new fad?
i can't even talk with a kid at the gaming area in a store without the mom giving that bad suspicious eyes and calling the kid next to her
all i did ask the kid was "hey, if you could buy any keyboard in here, which one would you choose" (because i needed a new keyboard and usually kids know a lot more than the store clerk)

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
with all theese "pedo stuff" being the new fad?
i can't even talk with a kid at the gaming area in a store without the mom giving that bad suspicious eyes and calling the kid next to her
all i did ask the kid was "hey, if you could buy any keyboard in here, which one would you choose" (because i needed a new keyboard and usually kids know a lot more than the store clerk)
It's sad the way the world is now, isn't it :-(

Reactions: migles
D

Deleted User

I remember as a kid playing Pokémon Red. It was the first RPG game I played. It was really a new world that I was hooked on. I played it everyday and it felt like a new world. Now I launch up that game and I don't feel anything. Sure it is outdated right now but even when I play Pokémon Moon which is the latest I don't feel that same excitement I felt as a kid playing that first Pokemon game. It really started making me think. It isn't the graphics since that got much better. It isn't the story since the story line in Pokémon got better. What is it then? I guess the person changed. I grew up. I'm mid 20'ies right now. I can't really put a finger on what changed. I guess I just got use to games and it doesn't excite me anymore?
yea. i have the same situation. When I was a kid, all I had was a fake nes and I played many 8bit games on it for 10 hours a day. I really enjoyed it. today I have a lot of consoles and I hardly play them even when I have time. it's not the same anymore.

Last edited by ,

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
The older I become, the less and less amazed I am at new games. Honestly, I'm feeling sad that I can't have the feeling @Quantumcat described above anymore :(

I did get incredibly immersed in games, when I was a kid. Now, even with latest technologies, I get bored relatively quickly. I miss being a kid, and I'm only 22.

Reactions: Quantumcat

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure about OP's situation, but I know for me a lot of it has to do with lack of time. I loved gaming when I was a kid, and still do. But when I was a kid I had much more free time on my hands (although I definitely didn't realize it back then!) Now that I am an adult, I have much more responsibility than I had as a kid. I work around 50 hours a week, and usually by the time I get home I have just enough time to prepare and eat dinner, watch some tv, and go to bed. Any free time I have past that goes towards mowing the lawn, maintaining my house and car, and spending time with my wife and son.

Assuming you have good parents, life was probably handed to you on a silver platter as a kid. Sure, you had to go to school, and I remember some nights working past midnight on homework assignments, but aside from that you're pretty much free to do whatever you want. I chose to get a job when I was in Middle School, but that was my choice and it gave me some extra spending money. My parents paid the bills, I didn't have to pay for rent, electricity, water, etc. I didn't "value" my time as much as I do now, because I still had plenty of free time. (and of course if you tried to tell me back then that one day I wouldn't have so much free time, and that one day I would miss it, I probably would have said you were full of shit...)

As a kid, time spent playing games added VALUE to my life. I lived in the middle of nowhere, there was nothing fun for a kid to do. No movie theaters, bowling alleys, skate parks, and had to drive out of town if I wanted to buy something as simple as a pair of shoes (or a video game, for that matter.) Video games allowed me to go on fun adventures, and explore imaginary worlds. I could be a wizard and cast spells in an RPG, or be a commander of an army in an RTS game. First person shooters and fighting games were a great way to relieve stress. And I love playing Pokémon, and battling with friends.

Now, I have very little free time, and other responsibilities take priority. Video games cost lots of time and money, and while I do find value in games, I find more value in spending time with my wife and son. It's hard to justify spending money on games when I have bills to pay, and a house to take care of, and a car that needs new tires, or an oil change, or brake pads... My family needs food, clothes, school supplies, etc. Compared to these things, video games are on the bottom of the totem pole. That's not to say that I don't like them, I still have fun playing video games with my son, and I still enjoy getting a nostalgia high when I pull out my old Super Nintendo and blow the dust out of my Super Mario World cartridge. But priorities have changed, and it's understandable.

Life is too short to find yourself at 60+ years old, only to look back at your past and say "I've done nothing but play video games. What have I done with my life?"

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I remember as a kid playing Pokémon Red. It was the first RPG game I played.

Myself, I still play games, just not that intensively as a kid.

BTW. I don't think Pokemon games are from the RPG genre, they lack many aspects of it. But anyway, that's just my opinion.

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
I used to play and love a lotta games that I now see as pretty crappy. When you're a kid, your quality bar is set way, way low. As you get older, you expect more and your benchmarks for what constitutes a good game get higher. But that has nothing to do with fun! I have way more fun with my games now than as a kid because as I've grown older, my capacity for enjoying them has got higher. While I find less games fun, I find games as a whole more fun.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse