Gaming Games like half life/half life 2?

pedro702

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I want some suggestion on games like the first 2 half life games where the game is like its all in a row, no levels or anything, so that the game fells like a a single complete map.it does not need to be an horror theme like half life or have the same amount of puzzles.

the closest i ever felt to that was the first Red faction game, where the game itself just seemed a continuation and not level or map based, just flowed naturally.

The only rule i have is the game must have a console release, any console since i dont play on pc.

So any suggestions?

No open world games please, those just loose the magic imo.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
So... Does it have to be 3d shooters?

And also : which consoles do you have?

No offense, but I feel like most games of the last twenty years have level designs that at least to some extend as a continued experience. And I don't think you're looking for super Mario world here. :P

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know you said console only, but there is a world of half life mods out there that are great that even shitty pcs can play, I would save up for a potato laptop or pc for those
I also think there are more than those 2 half lifes on console but I could be wrong
You're gonna get a lot of stuff like Left 4 Dead, portal, etc... basically source engine games

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I know you said console only, but there is a world of half life mods out there that are great that even shitty pcs can play, I would save up for a potato laptop or pc for those
I also think there are more than those 2 half lifes on console but I could be wrong
You're gonna get a lot of stuff like Left 4 Dead, portal, etc... basically source engine games

There’s The Orange Box for 360 and PS3 (although the latter has a poor reputation), which also includes the HL2 sequels Ep1 and Ep2 along with Portal.

The Switch can also run HL1 and it’s expansions Opposing Force and Blue Shift with potentially other mods using Xash3D, although I haven’t tried it:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/xash3d-half-life-custom-goldsrc-engine-for-switch.522848/

Reactions: Mythical

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Different people seem to take different things from Half Life; some like world building, some like physics, some like the levels... though I would suggest you consider PC stuff, especially for games that old as a lot of actually good mods have been made for such things.

STALKER and Metro 2033 franchises might be something you go in for, though the former is open world so might be harder but scratches something of the same itch for me.

pedro702

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
So... Does it have to be 3d shooters?

And also : which consoles do you have?

No offense, but I feel like most games of the last twenty years have level designs that at least to some extend as a continued experience. And I don't think you're looking for super Mario world here. :P
3d shooter does help, most shooters i play arent well sequential, they stop you and then cutscene and then you are on a totally different zone or section.

any console will do i got them all.

pedro702

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
played all half life games on console i just said those 2 because they were the main ones i played episode 1 and 2 also.

Metroid Prime series and Dead Space series.
played 2 metroid prime games and they fell nothing like half life, a metroidvania title will never fell fluid mapping because you keep going back and forth where games like half life, red faction you keep going through the world and map seeming less until the end game.

never played dead space but doesnt seems to be what im in for, its just an horror game, seen a play-through and seems like a general 3rd person horror game with nothing resembling half life imo.

Different people seem to take different things from Half Life; some like world building, some like physics, some like the levels... though I would suggest you consider PC stuff, especially for games that old as a lot of actually good mods have been made for such things.

STALKER and Metro 2033 franchises might be something you go in for, though the former is open world so might be harder but scratches something of the same itch for me.
my pc is very very old its 12 years old, it runs the browser and that is it, heck not even my pc screen is hd, im not a pc person and never will be, i just like playing on my consoles.

will take a look at stalker and metro ip ltough metro games atleast the last one with ps5 release seems like a totaly open world type of game and that just doesnt do it for me, i like more direct approach games tough.

soz for the doble posting tough i tough they would be merged automatically.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
played all half life games on console i just said those 2 because they were the main ones i played episode 1 and 2 also.

played 2 metroid prime games and they fell nothing like half life, a metroidvania title will never fell fluid mapping because you keep going back and forth where games like half life, red faction you keep going through the world and map seeming less until the end game.

never played dead space but doesnt seems to be what im in for, its just an horror game, seen a play-through and seems like a general 3rd person horror game with nothing resembling half life imo.

my pc is very very old its 12 years old, it runs the browser and that is it, heck not even my pc screen is hd, im not a pc person and never will be, i just like playing on my consoles.

will take a look at stalker and metro ip ltough metro games atleast the last one with ps5 release seems like a totaly open world type of game and that just doesnt do it for me, i like more direct approach games tough.

soz for the doble posting tough i tough they would be merged automatically.
A lot of those games are more than 12 years old now and ran on far more primitive setups, and any graphics card that still functions or that you can pick up for a pittance/for scrap value will probably run them. Similarly the average PC has HDMI out these days if you are particularly wedded to playing on the sofa.

pedro702

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
A lot of those games are more than 12 years old now and ran on far more primitive setups, and any graphics card that still functions or that you can pick up for a pittance/for scrap value will probably run them. Similarly the average PC has HDMI out these days if you are particularly wedded to playing on the sofa.
my pc doesnt have hdmi out , heck it doesnt even have a standard monitor port, i need an adater to connect it to regular monitors, this was a pc connected to those bulky bastards screens, i had to increase my ram or i couldnt even watch videos without it crashing so yeah i have no faith on this pc at all its old and outdated as hell and i dont fell like playing on my tiny screen either.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Let's see... Keep in mind I've only played these on pc, so I can't comment on how they play

Bulletstorm wasn't half bad. Not as good as I'd hoped, but good enough.
Painkiller was a decent shooter, but I never got into it that much. It apparently released on Xbox... And Android?
Serious Sam is fun. Mindless carnage against the odds, but great. Not really much of progression, though (the levels all look same-y).
Shadow warrior was a very surprising hit for me. Played it more as Melee than using weapons, but ey... Great stuff (note : I'm talking the first remake. Haven't kept up with sequels).
OH, and hexen. Very interconnected levels. Very old now, and as much (or even more) rpg than shooter, but... Perhaps still enjoyable.

Okay, and I'm going to mention it : unreal (the first one) is better than half life. No, it's not on console, but it runs on almost anything now (got it to work fine on gpd win 1)

pedro702

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Let's see... Keep in mind I've only played these on pc, so I can't comment on how they play

Bulletstorm wasn't half bad. Not as good as I'd hoped, but good enough.
Painkiller was a decent shooter, but I never got into it that much. It apparently released on Xbox... And Android?
Serious Sam is fun. Mindless carnage against the odds, but great. Not really much of progression, though (the levels all look same-y).
Shadow warrior was a very surprising hit for me. Played it more as Melee than using weapons, but ey... Great stuff (note : I'm talking the first remake. Haven't kept up with sequels).
OH, and hexen. Very interconnected levels. Very old now, and as much (or even more) rpg than shooter, but... Perhaps still enjoyable.

Okay, and I'm going to mention it : unreal (the first one) is better than half life. No, it's not on console, but it runs on almost anything now (got it to work fine on gpd win 1)
i dont think you understand what im asking here...

what the hell does bulletstorm and serious sam games have to do with half life seeming-less level design? they are all level based you spawn on the level do your objectives and then spawn on the next level and so on...

im not asking for random fps games because there are alot of them out there lol, i wanted a game where you went from beggining to end without getting teleported between levels , like it was a full sequentially game.

the entire list(almost) is basically arcade like shooters that are level based, its the opposite of what i wanted lol, like some people suggested red faction 1 is a game like half life that i played, these ones are everything but what i wanted lol, if i asked for arcade shooters then you would have hit the mark...

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
i dont think you understand what im asking here...

what the hell does bulletstorm and serious sam games have to do with half life seeming-less level design? they are all level based you spawn on the level do your objectives and then spawn on the next level and so on...

im not asking for random fps games because there are alot of them out there lol, i wanted a game where you went from beggining to end without getting teleported between levels , like it was a full sequentially game.

the entire list(almost) is basically arcade like shooters that are level based, its the opposite of what i wanted lol, like some people suggested red faction 1 is a game like half life that i played, these ones are everything but what i wanted lol, if i asked for arcade shooters then you would have hit the mark...
Calm down, dude. You asked, so I answered. You make it seem like half-life does something unique, but it doesn't. Well...at least as far as level progression is concerned(1). In both, you go from A to point B (level 1), then from B to C (level 2), and so on. The games I mentioned do exactly that, so if you say it's the opposite of what you want, I suggest taking a good look at what you asked.

Heck...I'm the one who should be criticizing you, as I told you (I quote) "most games of the last twenty years have level designs that at least to some extend as a continued experience.". Your response to that pretty much amounted to "yeah, it's fine".

So...I'm not looking for a fight, but I think you're not looking for what you said you're looking for. None of my mentioned games have cutscenes in between. Some have a map overview inbetween, but they do have a loading screen, which, you guessed it, half life 1 and 2 have as well.

(1): half life is pretty unique in how the different levels feel very different from one another. Some being puzzly, others sneaky, arcade shootout, vehicle navigation, and so on. But that's not what you're asking here

pedro702

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Calm down, dude. You asked, so I answered. You make it seem like half-life does something unique, but it doesn't. Well...at least as far as level progression is concerned(1). In both, you go from A to point B (level 1), then from B to C (level 2), and so on. The games I mentioned do exactly that, so if you say it's the opposite of what you want, I suggest taking a good look at what you asked.

Heck...I'm the one who should be criticizing you, as I told you (I quote) "most games of the last twenty years have level designs that at least to some extend as a continued experience.". Your response to that pretty much amounted to "yeah, it's fine".

So...I'm not looking for a fight, but I think you're not looking for what you said you're looking for. None of my mentioned games have cutscenes in between. Some have a map overview inbetween, but they do have a loading screen, which, you guessed it, half life 1 and 2 have as well.

(1): half life is pretty unique in how the different levels feel very different from one another. Some being puzzly, others sneaky, arcade shootout, vehicle navigation, and so on. But that's not what you're asking here
again you didnt get what i asked for i wanted a agme where you physically walk from level 1 to last level and go through every corridor and passage like they are interconnected, you just dont get a ctuscene and get dumped on a totaly diferent level to play, everyone who suggested red faction 1 understood what i wanted lol im not doing any fighting you just completely missed the point every game you go from point A to B in any level normaly but half life has all the levels connected, you could go from beginning to end just following corridors and you can go back too, not through spawning in another different area and so on basicaly i wanted a game with just one level that goes on and on and on like half life and not a game where you start a lvlv lets say laboratories, you end it and then start another being the basement and so on, without ever physicaly moving from the laboratories to the basement through the corridors or stairs and whatever, i dont want a level based game but a game that just goes on and on like half life and red faction.

again im not picking a fight but you failed to understand what i was looking for entirely.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb