Gaming Games in Oz - Identical to US or EU?

montymintypie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm about to receive my Acekard2 in the mail, and I've been researching on how to effectively dump my games to roms.

I've found this guide, but I've been discouraged by the fact that it'll take so long for each game (over 1 hour usually). I've only got 9 games, but it would add up!

As an alternative (and also because I've lost a game
cry.gif
) I've been trying to find roms. Problem is, I have no idea which version Australia gets. Are Australian DS games identical to the US releases, or the EU releases? For some games which I can't find either of (it's surprisingly hard!) I'll just suck it up and dump them, but I know at least one which I'd want to download to save time.

So yeah, main question, are Australian DS games identical to US or EU games?

Thanks in advance, apologies if it's in the wrong forum etc etc *generic n00b apologies*

As an aside, is the dumper linked above any good? I.E. does it make a 100% copy of the games? It'd suck waiting an hour to find that it didn't work well...
rolleyes.gif

lachlan383

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
From what I can tell games in Oz are the EU versions not US.

Every game that I have bought (not many XD) has that multi-language select screen at the start which seems to indicate that they are the EU versions.

Someone may correct me but i'm pretty sure that the US versions dont have that language select screen when you start them up (I'm just assuming this because the languages you can pick are all European ones, e.g. French and German).

That being said, the games in Oz might not necessarily be either, it could just depend on what the publisher wants/decides.

As for the ripper, I have no idea. May I ask why you want to rip games anyway? There are heaps of sites available that will fulfill your needs for free, and with a lot less hassle.
Obviously I cant tell you about them though, forum rules.

kirlac

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
I can't comment specifically on Aussie games, but I'm from NZ and as a rule our games are the EU versions, so i presume it's the same for Australia. Sometimes games get imported when the EU one isn't available, but it's more likely that they are the EU versions. I say that because on region-specific consoles (playstation, xbox etc.) we get the PAL version, which covers Europe, Australia, NZ etc. and aren't able to play NTSC (US, Japan etc.) games without modding.

deathking

Trophies
Website
toxsic.com
XP
Country
United States
aus games for the ds are ripped under eu
look at some games like afl and nrl manor
both are not going to be realsed in europe as nearly no one there follows the sport to justify a realse and they are ripped under eu so all eu games are what aus gets

Eon-Rider

Trophies
Website
www.kablooza.co.cc
XP
Country
I believe most Australian games follow European releases as the release dates of many major games correspond. However, I've found rare exceptions such as Clubhouse Games which corresponds with the American version.

unz

Chaotic Neutral
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Just chiming in to say that my AU copy of GTA CTW has a German label on the actual cart. There's a line of text near the top of the sticker that says "Kiene Jugendfreigabe"and the cart's game code is NTR-YGXP-EUR.
However, on the back of the boxart, it says "Assembled in Australia" and the game code is NTR-YGXP-AUS.

Eon-Rider

Trophies
Website
www.kablooza.co.cc
XP
Country
pcmanrules said:
NZ is done by Nintendo Australia. if you look at the label on the card the there is EUR at the end. I have imported some games from the US for price reasons and they say USA. Nintendo Australia is just a branch of Nintendo Europe.
That's not completely true.

QUOTE(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Australia#Localizations)Most Nintendo DS games published by Nintendo Australia use localizations that originate from the USA, in comparison to other third parties which source localizations from both North America and Europe. All Wii games use European localizations in Australia due to being allocated as part of Nintendo's PAL Region, despite not being a subsidiary of Nintendo of Europe.

pcmanrules

Trophies
Website
pcmanrules.geek.nz
XP
Country
New Zealand
Eon-Rider said:
pcmanrules said:
NZ is done by Nintendo Australia. if you look at the label on the card the there is EUR at the end. I have imported some games from the US for price reasons and they say USA. Nintendo Australia is just a branch of Nintendo Europe.
That's not completely true.

QUOTE(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Australia#Localizations)Most Nintendo DS games published by Nintendo Australia use localizations that originate from the USA, in comparison to other third parties which source localizations from both North America and Europe. All Wii games use European localizations in Australia due to being allocated as part of Nintendo's PAL Region, despite not being a subsidiary of Nintendo of Europe.

Well I never knew, it's not as if i buy much from them there days anyway
laugh.gif

Devis0r

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia gets a mix of both European and USA versions as well as the very rare Australian exclusive games (I'm talking about the serials here). Below are some examples which you can compare with to your local game shop to verify if you want:

EUR: FIFA 10, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games
USA: Pokemon (pretty much the entire series comes out as the USA version here), Legend of Zelda (both Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks), Fossil Fighters
AUS: V8 Supercars Australia 3 , Ratatouille

Majority of games have the European serial, a very small percentage come here as USA versions, and the Australian serial games are even rarer.

Although, since the DS is region free, the region does not matter when all you want to do is play a game.
smile.gif

montymintypie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wow, lots of replies!

Thanks for the info :-)

The only reason I'd rip a game is to be sure I had the exact copy, or to extract saves (a different process I know).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"