games in dutch language

eriol33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
hi folks, I'm starting to learn dutch language. my aim is only to read dutch documents though (newspapers, articles, academic journals). do you have any games with dutch language that you could recommend? fortunately I learned german for two years and have good grasp of its grammar, so I don't find dutch is not too incredibly difficult. however I think playing games with (simple) dutch text maybe able to accelerate my study. any suggestion?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Dutch translations do exist but they tend to be limited to shovelware, puzzle games and games aimed at kids. I do not think there are any exclusive of any note really -- I could probably rustle up a couple for French and German but not Dutch. However word games like http://www.advanscene.com/html/Releases/dbrelds.php?id=4354 exist and I quite like word games when learning languages. You might do slightly better on PC, home consoles.... well I do the 360 releases and there is not an awful lot coming out there. Likewise some of those games aimed at kids are not bad and will naturally tend to use simpler language.

For the handhelds head on over to http://www.advanscene.com/ , click on advanced search, click the first dropdown menu and select language, type Dutch in the box provided and select GBA, DS and PSP as you wish. That will generate a list.

Not strictly relevant but as you mentioned Dutch translation http://www.loekalization.com/mistakes.html and the site there is a good read.

I am not a Dutch speaker though so I could be talking out of my arse, I doubt it very much but it is a possibility.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Many games don't have Dutch localizations, and IMO that's not really a bad thing. The Professor Layton games all do though, so you may want to look into those. Puzzle descriptions in a foreign language might be a bit tough though.

vassildador

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Many games don't have Dutch localizations, and IMO that's not really a bad thing. The Professor Layton games all do though, so you may want to look into those. Puzzle descriptions in a foreign language might be a bit tough though.
QFT. It usually makes me cringe whenever some game I play is actually localized. It usually ends up having horrible voice acting and/or silly translations. It's actually the reason I set all my devices
and consoles to English, otherwise many games automatically pick Dutch as the default language.

Anyway, as for OP, off the top of my head, the following games are localized in Dutch and are playable in terms of quality:
- Lufia (SNES)
- God of War 3 (PS3)
- Super Scribblenauts (DS), possibly others in the series too
- Most LEGO games across all systems, though double-check before you get them :)

ResleyZ

Swiggity swaggity swooty, I love my own booty
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Most games aren't translated into Dutch, hence we (the dutch people) are pretty good at English at young ages. I would say that it's better to watch Dutch series, and movies instead of games, since most games translated into Dutch 'suck'.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's two things I hate in this world: People are who intolerant of other cultures... and the Dutch.

So the answer is no.

DaFixer

Dare to be stupid
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yes we (the Dutch people) are used to English, becase most of movies,series we watch are in English and (thank god) only subtitled.
When I was a kid almost all the games I played where in English. There was a handfull of C64/MSX games that are in Dutch.
Nowdays more games are in Dutch, but the audio dub Dutch suck. Sometimes I use Dutch subtitles, but mosly I English subtitles more.

But there are Dutch ips patched for old 8/16bit games:
http://www.romhacking.net/?page=tra...d=16&perpage=20&title=&author=&transsearch=Go

But if you want to watch classic Dutch movies try:
Flodder (Buurman wat doet u nu?)
Soldaat van Oranje (by the maker of Robocop and also filmt in my hometown Leiden)

Ciske de Rat

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Heh...can't say I know many Dutch subtitled games...and exactly zero where there was a voice sync. The first thing I do, as well as pretty much everyone, is change the language to English. Heck...I doubt even Dutch game makers bother with anything other than English.

Mostly, I'm kinda doubtful to what degree Dutch subtitled games will be helpful in learning the language. It's used less than in a series or movie, and often not of great quality. I feel I should point out the Dutch wii menu here. The Dutch word for "ok" is either "ok" or "oké", with the latter one...seriously outdated (it's how you pronounce it...but nobody writes it like that anymore). Nonetheless, wii menu questions always want you to click "oké". :unsure:

So yeah...I would also suggest watching movies or series if you want to learn the language. For the movies, you can probably find English subtitles which really help (depends on your current skill, of course).

Some more classic Dutch movies:
-De lift (old, but very scary horror movie)
-De zaak Alzheimer (cop movie of an assassin who's losing his memory)
-Loft (thriller...I think the Dutch variant of the Flemish movie is also available)
-Zwartboek (WW2 movie)
-Koko flanel (humor)
-Rundskop (drama)
-Turks fruit (drama)
-Karakter (historical drama)
-the broken circle breakdown

Reactions: Crisp Cookie

DaFixer

Dare to be stupid
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
-Loft (thriller...I think the Dutch variant of the Flemish movie is also available)
-Zwartboek (WW2 movie)
-Koko flanel (humor)
-Rundskop (drama)
-Turks fruit (drama)

Koko Flanel is a Belgium movie, so not real Dutch movie ;)

Ontopic:
You can try Professor Layton en de Doos van Pandora, but the Dutch dub is very bad.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Koko Flanel is a Belgium movie, so not real Dutch movie ;)
That's Dutch as in Nederlandstalig...not Dutch as in uit Nederland afkomstig. ;)

EDIT: god damnit, my eyes! That movie!!!
...erm...I mean: my EARS!

@English guys: in case it doesn't show...it's far too strict and articulated to be believable. It's actually kind of mothering (which is probably intentional). As if the cast of sesame street voiced it.

EDIT: Arras: I've heard of it (the movie Sint, that is), but haven't seen it. Besides...are you going to blame me for not knowing every Dutch movie ever? :P

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Heh...can't say I know many Dutch subtitled games...and exactly zero where there was a voice sync. The first thing I do, as well as pretty much everyone, is change the language to English. Heck...I doubt even Dutch game makers bother with anything other than English.

Mostly, I'm kinda doubtful to what degree Dutch subtitled games will be helpful in learning the language. It's used less than in a series or movie, and often not of great quality. I feel I should point out the Dutch wii menu here. The Dutch word for "ok" is either "ok" or "oké", with the latter one...seriously outdated (it's how you pronounce it...but nobody writes it like that anymore). Nonetheless, wii menu questions always want you to click "oké". :unsure:

So yeah...I would also suggest watching movies or series if you want to learn the language. For the movies, you can probably find English subtitles which really help (depends on your current skill, of course).

-Zwartboek (WW2 movie)
-Koko flanel (humor)
-Rundskop (drama)
-Turks fruit (drama)
What, no mention of Sint?
:rolleyes:
(it's a horror movie and it's so bad it's hilarious. At least I suspect it's supposed to be horror)

nasune

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, if memory serves me right, the original Uncharted has a dutch track (which seriously pissed me off, because I couldn't figure out how to get the damn game to use English), and I think the new Infamous has a dutch track as well (at least, from what I've seen of the PS4 version).

As for movies, for some comedies/slice of life you can watch All Stars 1 & 2, and (because it's appropriate) De Marathon. Other than that, well don't really like dutch movies.

DaFixer

Dare to be stupid
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, if memory serves me right, the original Uncharted has a dutch track (which seriously pissed me off, because I couldn't figure out how to get the damn game to use English), and I think the new Infamous has a dutch track as well (at least, from what I've seen of the PS4 version).

As for movies, for some comedies/slice of life you can watch All Stars 1 & 2, and (because it's appropriate) De Marathon. Other than that, well don't really like dutch movies.

I know your pain, the Dutch's track of those games also very bad.
But for Uncharted I change the language.

This is also a classic:

eriol33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
dank u voor alle aanbeveling. I just found a game of professor layton in dutch. I think I'm going to play it sometimes during holiday. still, I'm open if you have recommendations (I am tempted to read dutch harry potter side by side with the english version)... or maybe watching english speaking movie with dutch subs. Since I'm not surrounded by dutch speakers, it's kinda hard to train for speaking/listening so I'm just aiming to have ability to read dutch.

Reactions: Deleted User

ResleyZ

Swiggity swaggity swooty, I love my own booty
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
English movies with Dutch subs aren't that good for learning, it would be better to watch dutch movies with English subs. The reason for that is mainly with differences like die/dat. If you listen to Dutch movies, you'll also hear the correct pronunciation, which some of my English friends I Skype with find weird.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
What ResleyZ says. Also: it's very easy to skip reading the subtitles if you can just follow what's going on by listening. I tried practicing my French by using those subtitles in an English movie...though my French isn't bad, I really lost focus of either the subtitles or the movie.

Oh, and...the plural of aanbeveling (recommendations) is aanbevelingen. :)

Reactions: eriol33

G-Han

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
dank u voor alle aanbeveling. I just found a game of professor layton in dutch. I think I'm going to play it sometimes during holiday. still, I'm open if you have recommendations (I am tempted to read dutch harry potter side by side with the english version)... or maybe watching english speaking movie with dutch subs. Since I'm not surrounded by dutch speakers, it's kinda hard to train for speaking/listening so I'm just aiming to have ability to read dutch.

The Professor Layton games are actually really decent in Dutch. They have been localised by the same person who also translated Lufia II (for fellow Dutchies: Jurjen Tiersma). The works by Loekalization are also great. I really loved his localisation of Muramasa: The Demon Blade on Wii.

Seeing you live in New Zealand, I think I understand where your interest in Dutch comes from. There should be plenty of Dutch emigrants in New Zealand, so maybe there are circles where you can meet Dutch people?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: @Xdqwerty, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! is the Japanese version of the game, different... +1