Games Freezing via USB Loader 1.5

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by sekhu, Apr 22, 2009.

Apr 22, 2009
  1. sekhu
    OP

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    As the topic it says, I'm on cios rev 10 and usb loader 1.5 both by waninkoko I think.

When playing Capcom vs Tasunoko (or whatrver) it freezes when playing the intro. It also freezes if I do a vs game, win or lose and it gives you the option to retry, chanel character or exit if you choose select character it freezes.

I tried MadWorld for about 10-15 minutes during the start and it froze for about a minute or two, then the screen went black.

I had to hold the power button down for a few seconds to turn the wii off in both instances.

Just looking for some feedback on what it might be. I'm using abrand new WD 320GB HDD set to Master in the drive enclosure. AS stated I am using cios rev 10 (I had installed 9 previously, and installed 10 over it), with usb loader 1.5 which I load from the homebrew channel. My Wii is on system menu 3.2e (downgraded from 3.4e). The two games I tired are both NTSC (USA and JPN) on a PAL Wii, with a Wiikey 1 on 1.9g firmware.

When I intially tried running games off the HDD, it said it coudn't find a WBFS partition, so I loaded the drivbe in windows and used wbfs manager to browse and check the titles were there. And they were. Then reinstalled on the Wii and it finally detected it and loaded the games.

Thanks in advance

2. manias

Member manias GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    remove all other usb devices. if you are using the usb network adaptor, remove it and its settings from the system menu (NO lan connections can be around)
    this because the wii will try to activate it after 1 min or so, causing a crash.
    Also, search for the thread here on WD drives to stop em spinning down. (lotsa threads on this i believe)

3. sekhu
    OP

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    I don't have any other devices connected via usb except the hard drive. I don't think OEM drives have spin down enabled.

4. Linuks

Member Linuks GBAtemp Regular

France
    Try with cIOS9. Okami freezed in about 10mn when I was using cIOS10 (in all loaders) but I don't have any problem since I'm using cIOS9.

5. sekhu
    OP

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    I thought cios 9 only supported usbloader up to version 1.2, after that it uses cios 10?

6. Screemer

Member Screemer GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    cios 9 works with newer versions too. rev 10 has some bugfixes and added wbfs sdhc access.

7. User423

Member User423 GBAtemp Fan

Antarctica
    So I can dump and play my Games with Loader 1.5 and rev9?

8. yumms

Member yumms GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have problems freezing in Excitebots, it freezes when I finish a race. This happens in all loaders with cios v10. I'll try cios v9 tonight to see if that helps.

9. Linuks

France
    boy2048 : you can play them but I'm not 100% sure you can dump them.
    Just try it, it takes 2mn to install it [​IMG]

10. IAmError

Newcomer IAmError Member

United States
    I am also having problems with games freezing on CIOS10. How do I go back to CIOS9? Just install it? Or do I need to remove CIOS10 first?

11. Screemer

Member Screemer GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    just install it. removing is not needed.

12. User423

Antarctica
    I tried to dump with rev9 and official 1.5, it worked. But can it be, that there errors in the dumps cause rev9?

/edit I tried to play SSBB and one other Game, they worked. So, I don´t need to redump with rev10?

13. Vidboy10

Member Vidboy10 Tsardom

Canada
    Sweet that was your 1,000th post

anyways when i try to play excitebots it frezzes too but most of the games work with rev10.

14. Linuks

France
    No you don't have to redump it, it's the same game (maybe cIOS10 keeps the update partition but it does not matter).
    But installing cIOS9 won't solve all the freeze problems. Maybe it will work for some game but not for every games...

15. User423

Antarctica
    I think, that not cIOSre10 keeps UpdatePartition, it´s the 1.5 Loader. I watched with Wii-Scrubber at my Images, they have UpdatePartitions with cIOSrev9 and 1.5.

/edit, Why gives me WiiScrubber at SSBB ISO "io_seek"? After pressing some time Return, it showed me the partitions, there were errors in the VC-Partition. I tried to extract VC-Partition and it gave me a error. Is that important?

Is it possible to install "MarioKartChannel" over USB-Loader? I tried to install it, the Wii reboots and nothing happen.

16. micric100

Member micric100 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    i get the freezing too in geometry wars, but I do have a lan adapter and my settings are to use it. But I don't get the freezing in any other game, but I havent played them for more than 5 mins, just checked to see if they're loaded.

17. sekhu
    OP

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    Ok I switched to CIOS9 and USB Loader 1.1 and I am still getting freezing/crashing issues when playing games. It now happens with any game.

I don't understand what it might be causing the crash, and wondering if someone can suggest what else to try. I've scanned the hdd and it seems fine, there's no bad sectors or anything.

It's becoming frustrating. It might be a spindown issue I suppose, but OEM drives don't normally have that issue.

Suggestions?

18. DKAngel

Member DKAngel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    maybe the oem drive does have that issue? might as well check

19. sekhu
    OP

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    yeah i'm gonna have to format it again to do that, but I might as well and see if that works

20. sekhu
    OP

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    OK, so how do I set the spindown settings of my specific HDD? I've gone to the WD website, and there are tools there but none for spindown options.

I've set the HDD to Master and Cable Select and they still crash regardless of what jumper settings I Use. I've tried another enclosure to see if that makes a difference but it doesn't seem to as the games still crash.

It's clear it's not a cios or usb lodare issue, however, and points towards the hdd spindown or perhaps the case being at fault. The cases I have are all the same brand, Akasa enclosures.

Hopefully someone can direct me in the right direction