Games for DS...? (note: this post is REALLY LONG)

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by RoboClover, Jun 10, 2008.

1. RoboClover
    OP

Newcomer RoboClover Advanced Member

United States
    So I dont know a ton about the DS since i'd been stuck on my GBA and EZ4 for a while. I've been wondering about what games to buy or get later on when i get my EZ to work with it. I usually play RPGs, but note the story is VERY important. I play video games for the same reason i read books =D. I think the story kinda ruined FFTA which had the potential to be one of the best games of all time, but...i digress. Heres what im looking for:

Should be an RPG of some sort. As a general rule I dont really enjoy shooters, smashy games (fighters [RAGGHH HULK NO NEED STORYLINE!!]), military games...but im open to trying things.

Good storyline with some degree of depth and character motivation (as in not damsel in distress ALL THE TIME). Characters need to have depth too though! Interesting characters are definately a plus...

Dialouge i guess goes in here. Should be like...how people talk? In the world? yeah, I think thats all i need to say about that...

Not too childish...as in i sort of liked Golden Sun but it felt watered down and like it was written for 10 year olds (though it might have been). This one scares me as the DS games ive been looking at are very G-rated...I looked at FF12 Reverant Wings and the characters now look like 12 year olds even though they are supposed to be older 0.o No bueno. I actually picked up FF3 for the DS...Its so bad so far that i made this post >.<

Good soundtrack! This is not crucial but the soundtrack for me is the difference between the best thing ive ever played and an OK game (Chrono Trigger had such a good soundtrack that i learned a lot of it on guitar)

Decent gameplay/battle system...yeah. I enjoy the Final Fantasy turn based thing since they tend to use variations and mix it up within the same old formula. I really liked FFTA gameplay but few games have that sort of thing...(yes i know about Advance Wars and no i dont like it. So there. >.< ) What i enjoyed more was the team building/training and putting THAT into battle not just battle strategy itself. Ive played some of the pokemon games and they had the teambuilding thing to a degree but everything else was just OK. I allow some leeway for battle system if the story is really good.

Style/Feel...I mean the environment of the whole game. This includes the world it's set in, the music, what the feel is there. As in FF7 kinda had an industrial futuristic feel. FF12 (ivalice for that matter) kinda has a desert bazaar sort of thing going. Im looking for creativity and originality not necessarily logic in the world of a game. Style is more how the story is told, character portraits, menus that kinda thing. Same applies here as feel but its not as important (FF6 had a nice style). I'd like to see some Sci-Fi feels, i havent played any yet really...

So, if youre still reading this god bless your squishy human heart. Those are my ridiculous standards. If you know of any RPGs that kinda meet these please let me know. If you have no idea what in the world im talking about and just have an RPG you really enjoyed i'd like to hear those too ^^. And i know i said DS but this kinda goes for all games really...I gots a gba, a PS2 (so PSX are an option as well), and obviously a PC so suggestions for stuff on any of those are welcome as well. I played and liked: FF4, FF5, FF6, FF7, FFTA, FF12 (yes, im a hopeless Final Fantasy nerd), Chrono Trigger (prolly my favorite/best game of all time), uhm...thats all i can think of at the moment. Aaaanyways, thanks for your time and i look foward to hearing all your input!

2. Kaos

Member Kaos Good show!

Australia
    The World Ends With You sort of fits your criteria.

It's a fantastic game regardless. You should try it.

3. Curley5959

Member Curley5959 CCC Member!

Australia
    Rondo of Swords.. i guess
    Draglade, I found is really good, but really short and kinda boring and repetitive..
    Im guessing you have played FF CC ROF...
    Transformers Autobots or Decepticons?? a shooter though

4. Pyrofyr

Member Pyrofyr GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I found Rondo of Swords to be boring, but it could be that it came out close to the time of TWEWY, so it took second fiddle.

Draglade was amazingly fun.

5. Edgedancer

Member Edgedancer Director of Moon based operations

Australia
    I am just going to list some games off the top of my head.
    Magical Starsign
    Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time
    Dragon Quest Monster Joker
    Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
    Final Fantasy 3
    Lost Magic
    Summon Night 2

By the way. Why did you dislike Golden Sun. They are my favourite RPG's with Baten Kaitos coming in just behind.

6. Leamonde.Halcyon

Member Leamonde.Halcyon 6x9=42

United States
    I'd like to second a few and add some:

Magical Starsign is a great game with an interesting mix of traditional RPG turn based battles and some 'adventuring' functions-if you've ever played Legaia 2 think what the guardian spirits do outside battle.
    However, if you're not a fan of silly puns, exaggerated anime and a bright and cheery cotton candy and bublegum kind of atmosphere to both characters and mood, I wouldn't recommend picking it up.

Rondo of Swords is a turn based strategy RPG on a grid battlefield in the tradition of FFT and Fire Emblem, except that the battle system has been tweaked slightly with what are called 'Route Manuevers' meaning you attack as your character moves past an enemy. The soundtrack to the game is decent, the graphics are your typical sprites with anime cutouts for scenes, but if you like a challenge this game is hard a hell and a whole lot of fun. I spent 4 hours retrying the first mission alone to kill all the enemies instead of just fleeing and I loved every minute of it.

Dragon Quest Monster: Joker is like a 3D graphics, slightly more mature Pokemon based, of course, on the DQ universe, so replace Pokemon with DQ monsters and instead of evolving you do 'combining'. Decent graphics, decent storyline, decent sound. Fun to play but doesn't 'pop' really.

The World Ends With You is going to be a love it or hate it thing but you should definitely give it a try before dismissing it. The battle system is an action-RPG type of thing with touch screen controls for the bottom character and directional input for hte top character. It takes some getting used to but what really sells the game is the sheer amount of unique style the game has to offer. Great storyline in the Square Enix tradition, great art-done by the KH: CoM team-and the sound is a fun mix of hip-hop, pop, techno and some rock with a hint of orchestral thrown in on the more dramatic scenes. The game is all about flair and style and it oozes from every part of it, even the silly Tin Pin mini game.

Soma Bringer is a good japanese action adventure game that happens to have a really good translation patch working over in the rom hacking section courtesy of the amazing Darthnemesis, and while the hack'n'slash style isn't usually my thing I can honestly say I feel in love with the game once I could understand it. The graphics are decent, the music is pretty good and (so far) the story seems to be interesting but the character customization is the big part.

Orcs & Elves may not be what you're looking for but maybe look at a gameplay video and see? It's a first person adventure RPG dungeon crawler. Kind of short, very retro, but I enjoyed it for a while.

Summon Night: Twin Age is fun IF you use the AR codes to get rid of the overkill bonuses that the US version gives you-they make the game far too easy. Other than that, good music, nice sprites, good atmosphere and a solid 10 or so hour play.

Etrian Odyssey. A retro style dungeon crawler that has an interesting but great atmosphere, decent music and a unique hook in that you map the dungeons yourself. Create your guild and battle party and slowly delve deeper and deeper into the great underground labyrinthine forest. If you don't map it it doesn't get mapped and you don't get little icon reminders-you have to put them there. The other fun part of the game is how hard it is, an old style cruelly difficult RPG, if you like that kind of thing.

Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords is a unique puzzle RPG, in that all the battles are done in a Bejewled style puzzle board. Different colored runes grant mana, purple stars grant EXP, gold grants money, skulls deal damage and all the mana can be used to cast skills and abilities that vary based on your character type. Leveling up allows you to spend points in affinities for different mana types or for battle, strength and cunning and as you go on the battles get wickedly difficult when you and your enemy can move up to 3-4 times per turn if the gems fall just right which can make or break a battle. A lot of fun if you have the mind set for it.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates is an action RPG like it's Gamecube predecessor, except that you don't get to make your character (except in multiplayer). The storyline is ok, a bit shallow for my tastes, and the music is decent but not WOW, and the graphics aren't the best 3D the system has to offer but the gameplay makes it worth playing-if you like that kind of thing.

Final Fantasy III is a nice 3D remake of the original and not much else. If you liked it then you'll like it now but if you're not a fan of retro FF it's not really for you.

Luminous Arc is a decent turn based strategy RPG like Rondo of Swords and FFTA. Not incredibly challenging but not really easy, the setting is your typical medeival type RPG with a decent if mildly predictable storyline.

I hope you appreciate the expansion on the reccommendations and I hope you find the RPGs that suit you-always glad to see another serious RPG fan.

As a final note I'd like to add that coming out within the next couple weeks are Etrian Odyssey II, Final Fantasy Tactics A2, and next month is the 3D DS remake of Final Fantasy IV, all of which I'm looking very forward to.

7. Pyrofyr

United States
    It's actually a shame you're not looking for platformers, I find that the DS has many great ones to offer.

If you don't mind platformers, I loved ALL of the Mario spinoffs, Mario, Yoshi, and Super Princess Peach... awesome stuff.

8. TripDyke

Member TripDyke GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    What the hell, why hasn't anyone mention Contact yet?

Unique style, all the RPG GRINDAN you could ask for, interesting story and characters, intriguing soundtrack. Go here for a decent overview of the game, as I am feeling far from eloquent tonight.

9. RoboClover
    OP

United States
    Golden Sun...like i said it felt kiddish to me. It was kinda nicey nice; even the villains were sort of pleasant...I do remember mildly enjoying the second one though. Plus it was kinda ordinary. I like overly ridiculous and unlikely characters and names and worlds...Golden sun seems very possible if you know what i mean. I know its a good game, the battle system and stuff is fine, but its the feel i dont really like.

I'm also looking foward to FFT A2 and the FF IV remake, i have em reserved ^^.

I've been eyeing TWEWY ever since it came out and i think i'll be picking it up soon... I always liked that weird techno DDR-y kinda feel. Rondo sounds interesting as well. From what ive seen DQ Joker feels a bit like Monster hunter and looks like it too...is that accurate?

Other than that i'll definately look into all these, thanks for the awesome response, and keep em coming!

10. TripDyke

Australia
    Seriously, get Contact. I cannot emphasize this enough. Hell, I'm about to go to bed and spend hours replaying it. There is just so much to do, and the game breaks so many of the rules of gaming in such a fun way. To elaborate more, I'll refer to the wikipedia page;

"The story begins with the Professor flying through space, fleeing from a mysterious enemy known only as the Klaxon Army (CosmoNOTs in the US release). He ends up crash landing on a strange planet, scattering the "cells" that power his ship, preventing him from getting his ship off the ground. He enlists the help of Terry (can be renamed), a young boy who mistakenly came with him. Terry agrees to help the Professor and sets out with a mysterious set of "Decals" from the Professor. Helping the Professor is the only way that Terry will be able to get home. However, as the game progresses the Professor's intentions are slowly thrown deeper and deeper into question. One of the more remarkable things about the storyline is the inclusion of the player as a separate character from those appearing on screen (referred in other media as a Fourth Wall). Throughout the game, the Professor will talk directly to the player, to give hints on how to control Terry."

"In Contact, the Professor talks directly to the player, giving instructions in order to help Terry. The game also differs from ordinary RPGs in that experience gain is instantaneous, meaning that leveling up in the middle of a battle is required, complementing the real time combat system. Rather than the tradition in RPGs where a character levels up, increasing multiple statistics at once, Contact's experience system increases Terry's statistics individually as he performs different actions. For instance, when Terry takes damage, his defense increases; when he damages an enemy, his strength increases.

There is a costume system through which new skills can be learned. Up to eight costumes can be obtained, turning Terry into such forms as a fisherman, a cook, a thief, an "aqua shot" (as is the name of the costume), a car driver, a digger and a pilot. With greater use, a costume will add extra powers to its associated skills and statistics, including elemental magic and magical properties.

Terry also has weapon-based skills. These weapons can be gathered as the player progresses. The weapons are divided into three different categories; punching (gloves), striking (clubs), and slashing (swords). Each skill can be upgraded by using each type of weapon throughout the game. Each enemy has its own weakness, so some of Contact's strategy involves switching to the appropriate weapon to exploit an enemy's weakpoint.

The game also uses decals or stickers. The player can stick multiple decals to Terry, resulting in added powers. Decals can also be used to attack enemies, heal the character's wounds, and other functions.

There are other statistics that affect Terry's relationship with the game's non-playable characters, including fame, courage, and karma. The character can attack any NPC at will. As animosity towards Terry grows, townsfolk will attack Terry on the street or run when they see him.

As indicated by the game's director, the main storyline provides a framework of diversions, or sidequests. While none of these are necessary to complete the game, certain costumes cannot be obtained without completing a particular sidequest, and the sidequests themselves add significant replay value to the game."

It is by far one of the most underappreciated RPGs on the DS, if not of all time. A lot of people have made the comparison between this and Mother/Earthbound, but I honestly prefer Contact.

"The game has a simple, pixelated style on the top screen. The top screen is where the professor will observe and offer assistance to the main character, a boy named Terry (as well as the player), who moves around on the bottom screen. The bottom screen has a pre-rendered, detailed art style. When the professor goes onto the bottom screen, or vice versa, these styles clash.

This differentiation has been done purposely as it underlines how the player and the Professor are aliens to each other. They must make contact, communicate and co-operate to make it through the game and to create feelings of nostalgia; just like the interplay between the "real" and "game" worlds."

Sorry for the tl;dr but I get so damned passionate about little-recognised, non-mainstream RPGs. Don't get me started on Planescape: Torment or Fallout.

11. Leamonde.Halcyon

United States
    I don't really know much about Monster Hunter, so I couldn't say how DQM:J compares, but I can say that it's like taking the happy 10 year old that is Pokemon and fast forwarding to the slightly more mature preteen years. Not too dark and gritty but 'darker' than Pokemon.

12. RoboClover
    OP

United States
    Hahahahaa! Just for that i will personally guarantee you i'll check out Contact. I understand the frustration when people dont want to check something out or give it a chance just because nobody's heard of it >.<

monster hunter is sort of like a survival game in prehistory. you go out into the wilderness and slay beasts 20 times your size, slice em up, use thier parts to make weapons, armor, all that...it happens in missions. go kill this thing, kill 5 of these, steal a dragon egg...i just saw the kind of prehistoric thing in both.

13. TripDyke

Australia

14. WildWon

Former Staff WildWon EXTERMINATE!

United States
    Wow, after looking at that link for Contact, i'm sold. Gonna check that one out tonight. Can't wait! [​IMG]

15. RoboClover
    OP

United States
    Do they have it at a normal chain game store or is it something i'd have to order? just that you said it was obscure and underappreciated, i know what its like getting ahold of stuff like that

16. Leamonde.Halcyon

United States
    I know the feeling, and it happens too when places like IGN give them low scores because they haven't been paid to give the goods ones [​IMG]

I can't tell you the trouble I've had getting anyone to pick up Rondo of swords without a long litany on why 'but IGN said' does not mean it sucks.

And most of them who picked it up liked it. [​IMG] IGNs reviews upset me, but I'll give them credit for gaming news coverage.

17. ZyberMaster

Newcomer ZyberMaster Advanced Member

United States
    wow BiChan you sure know how to sell it... im going to check out Contact tonight

18. Turmoil

Member Turmoil GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Its been mentioned here already but if you haven't played Planescape: Torment on PC then your missing out. It could go down as having one of the best storylines for a game ever. Many people passed it over due to its darker and complex and not so cute/watered down theme or because it took so long to get into the game. Either way sounds like might be just the thing for ya.

19. Pyrofyr

United States
    I agree with Zyber. He made me want to play the game. Originally I had started it, liked it, and then found like 50 other DS games I wanted to play and skipped ahead to play them leaving this one unplayed...

I mean hell, after this I also want to play Monster Hunter xP

20. silent sniper

Member silent sniper !dennaB

Canada
    Contact is a great game. Story is good(ish), the graphics have a new freshly approacged style to them, and the gameplay is just YES!