Gamers need to 'quiet down' says CA Senator.

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by ComeTurismO, Jan 26, 2013.

Jan 26, 2013
  1. ComeTurismO
    OP

Member ComeTurismO CTO

Canada
    LOL! Now this is just making me laugh now. Seriously? I had a good laugh. "Gamers have no credibility in this argument".
    Gamers are the ones who PLAY the games. We have more credability than anyone. Is playing a violent game like cod or GTA that different from kids running around there back gardens pretending to shoot each other. Sure, cod is much more vissually violent, but the mentality is exactly the same. Is this guy really saying that he never played cowboys and indians as a kid? (copied my post from my comment on IGN)

:arrow: Gamespot

2. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    Can't they do something like tighten gun control or something?

The whole video games cause massacres has already reached a level of satire and idiocy.

3. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I don't even think these "senators say stupid things about video games" are still news.

Video games are only considered a minor issue on the massacre, they come up after every major shooting, people say "WE NEED TO STOP THEM", and nothing comes of it.

The issue is over and done, senators are just leaving bitter last remarks.

xwatchmanx, Hyro-Sama, Ron and 4 others like this.
  4. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    Just more idiots who are talking out their ass. Video games are not to blame, the fact that so many Americans glorify gun ownership and the 2nd Amendment shows that there is still a serious issue with gun ownership and gun violence being related.

5. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Not to mention, Yee got his law smacked down by the Supreme Court - a law which would also make recent efforts to curb violent videogames pretty much unconstitutional.

These are the dying gasps of a defeated movement. Don't even bother giving them attention. Let them point fingers at nothing and pick fights with strawmen; less and less people are listening every year.

xwatchmanx, 2ndApex and KingBlank like this.
  6. dickfour

Banned dickfour Banned

United States
    Kind of funny how it's always the liberals that want to ban things, guns, big soft drinks, violent games, hell I can't even light sparklers in my back yard on Independence day because some fucking liberal thinks I might burn myself.

7. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Wait...now so there are TWO different senators making ignorant claims on the same day? (Chris Murphy in the other thread, Leland Yee in this one here)?

This is getting out of hand. Here's my idea. Ready to vote in the senate if you want to:

1) Ban the sales of violent games for everyone who doesn't fit the PEGI-rating*.
    2) In case another shooting happens, fire Murphy and Yee on the spot for being incompetent at finding the root cause of the problem and incorrectly blaming a whole sector. As well as anyone else who is more interesting in placing random blames rather than actually wants to earn their salary. **

*I bet half of those guys there wouldn't even realise they're voting to keep the status quo on this part.
    **I'd throw in compensating for damages, but considering the previous note, there won't be any.

8. loco365

Member loco365 GBAtemp Guru

That CA Senator needs to 'quiet down'.

9. Zetta_x

Member Zetta_x The Insane Statistician

United States
    I don't understand why people make a big deal of senators saying different things. These guys can't think critically, like at all. It's very rare for a politician to know any type of skill other than voicing an opinion and social engineering.

10. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    There really needs to be a "Shit senators say" video on Youtube.

2ndApex and The Catboy like this.
  11. Xuphor

Banned Xuphor I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.

United States
    Read more articles on the matter, all of you.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/25/elected-officials-continue-to-blame-games-for-violence <- REAL IGN link, OP links to Gamespot, despite saying it's IGN.
    Moreover this whole thing was directed to one of IGN's staff member's blog about calling out to senator's getting involved in video games (I can't find the link, but it's NOT the one they "updated" with in the same article), it wasn't even intended for regular gamers in any way that I can see.

Might want to update the OP with this too, as it says the 100% opposite.

12. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    FYI, we have ESRB over here, not PEGI. Also, they are reinforcing it somewhat, but they aren't really doing a good job (I've witnessed a 10-year-old buying an M (17+) rated game without any problems, while someone my age directly behind him in line wasn't able to get the same game because the cashier ID'ed him). Besides, kids under the age rating could always get their uncaring parents to buy it for them.

13. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    No, we need a thread dedicated to just that. There really is no need to make a new thread every time some Senator opens their mouth and says something stupid.

14. Redeem

Banned Redeem Member

Canada
    Pathetic. I don't get why video games are being blamed? Just because most video games have violent content, it doesn't prove that video games are the reason of this shooting. I know, it was awful. An awful experience! I would've been upset if this happened to my kid! But since children have been victimized in this matter, they've made this inference.

They really should check on what else is out there! The movies, the TV shows, the News, and also video games.. NOT.
    Video games have warnings on the content, as OP said in this or the other thread. The parenting is what caused the violence, IMO.

15. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    Because it's the recent scapegoat. For years people have been avoiding real problems by using scapegoats. Look into history, people blamed everything from TV, Rock n' Roll, Communist, Anarchist, Atheists, ect. Why? Because it's easy to pass the blame on another person or object than own up to it. Simple as that. They know there is a bigger problem, but they also know people don't want to hear, they want something small and easy to blame, so they find that and try to make that the center to all the problems.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  16. Redeem

Banned Redeem Member

Canada
    True fact, I must say. I'm not a Muslim, but I know that they did nothing wrong, and they're innocent. That would start off-topic, if people might think, but it isn't. The terrorism that was caused by a group of terrorists, like 9/11. People who saw what happened on TV, or who were surviving victims, actually were kind of curious to use guns and such terrorizing equipments.
    But a friend of mine says one is not a Muslim who goes against the religion. And according to the Quran, causing terrorism is a shame to yourself, and it is a sin.

17. Tom

Member Tom Gbatemp's Unofficial Modder

United States
    America is going about this all wrong, insanity kills people not guns. Every massacre was related to insanity, they are doing nothing about it and stealing our guns instead

18. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    The only things killing people are the ones that pull the trigger. It could be due to insanity, could be for fun, could be hate, could be prejudice, but if it pulls the trigger, it's all the same. Dead, dead, dead. Everything else goes out the window, or lie bleeding.

If a perfectly sane, perfectly sensible person suddenly bought a gun and shot people with it for no reason at all, whose fault is it? Not the guy that sells the guns, the buyer is clean and checks out! Do you blame motive? What motive? There's no motive whatsoever, no gain from killing.

There really is no need to extrapolate. Get the guy who pulled the trigger. People that do this are better off dead anyway. We don't need genes that insta-flip a good person into a gun-toting killer.

19. Just Another Gamer

Member Just Another Gamer 星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy

Australia
    So having guns there so the insane people can just take them and go on murdering a bunch of people is logical now?

If there was no guns then those insane people have nothing to use to kill others and will instead do some other weird shit in their house or hospital or something. I find it weird how people want to try and defend having guns readily available is a good thing when it clearly isn't, look at the UK or AUS we don't have guns and we hardly have these shooting problems.

20. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    It has been said before and I'll repeat it again. Violent video games don't create enough stimulation to cause the intent to kill! Before a person decides to 'murder' someone, there's a lot more aspects then rage quitting over a team deathmatch. We in general, have the intent to kill. That's in our nature however, we curve that nature by being productive. When you have a few individuals that killed innocent bystanders, it's usually from frustration beyond their control. This is where the lethal outburst of carnage can cause a irrreplacable damage. The VERY moment that a person decides to kill that doesn't involve protection, he/she becomes that individual who disrespects the law, life, and creation itself. Calling out a 'scarecrow' (if my fallacy is used correctly) doesn't stop the gun violence nor creates a voice to help others understand about the every increasing loose-cannons that are around us.

Also increasing gun control will allow the police to increase their weaponry for the sake of security. POLICE OFFICERS DON'T NEED A MILITARY RIFLE TO PROTECT THE CITIZENS OF THIS COUNTRY!!