astrangeone

OP
Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
My girlfriend and I are both from different "gaming circles". I grew up with portables (gameboy, game gear, GBA, gbc, NDS), only deviating to buy an SNES and Ultimate MK3. The girlfriend grew up in the age of Atari/Colevision, and in fact, she has a working Colevision with the Atari expansion pack. Like social circles, in high school. they don't really touch!

I vaguely remember the Atari consoles, and love retro games. I have all the different retro games on my Acekard 2i. (Namco Musuem, Retrogame Challenge, etc.) My girlfriend doesn't play now - she used to be an Gamecube nut.

We both have different likes in terms of gaming. I like the customizable aspects of RPGs, she likes the hack and slash gameplay.

I want to get her a DS Lite and Phantasy Star Zero to start. It has the aspects of hacking and slashing and the RPG aspects. Plus, if I wait, my character will be able to powerlevel hers.

Anyhow, this gamer generation gap makes me wonder if we can enjoy gaming together. (I don't play consoles, having grown up with portables.)

PS - Argh, the shovelware. What the heck is with game retailers and recommending me a shovelware game? I used to shop at a flea market (one of the vendors did console mods) and sold retail games as well. He would always try to recommend me things like Neopets/Imagine/Feel the Magic just because I'm female.

PPS - I'd probably pick up a version of My Personal Weight Loss Coach for myself. If the pedometer actually fracking works, although.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I think the gap between portables and home consoles is still smaller than the one between PC and console games. Home and portable consoles share the same constraints (limited resolution, limited number of keys, fixed hardware, etc.), so even if the titles aren't the same between consoles, the game design philosophy is more or less similar, and it's easier to reconcile the differences between various consoles, even portable and home ones.

Reconciling the differences between different genres is a whole other thing, though
wink.gif
I think you suffer from genre gap more than a generation or platform one. Can't help you there, though; the only DS game my girlfriend and I have in common is Mario Kart
laugh.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night