• Don't Care (Why?)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
D

Deleted-119707

OP
just a simple poll.
i was wondering what people think is more important, gameplay or graphics

i voted both because the game should be even.

if its just based on graphics, the gameplay will be crap (but not all the time). the game will be short and not worth the money to buy it (unless u use a flashcart).

if its just based on the gameplay and has poor graphics, i personally think that the gameplay would be crap. as i look at the graphics first, and if i thinks its crap, i dont carry on playin to learn the gameplay.

so people vote and comment on wh you chose what you chose
smile.gif

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which matters more to you?

If a game is fun, but the characters are chibi or pixelated, or if the background is blurry, will you continue playing?
Inversely, if the characters look like real people, but the buttons are in weird places, or maneuvers are difficult to perform, or the story is absolutely bland, will you continue playing?

In my opinion, gameplay trumps graphics.
Without the former, the latter is worthless.
You might as well go watch a movie. It'd at least be more enjoyable.

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Mostly gameplay. Games with good graphics get outdated. Games with good gameplay last generations.

Think about it, some day CGs in the movie "the Transformers" will be able to be rendered real-time in a console. Will you still look at Gran Turismo 5 and say "Wow that looks almost like a real car"? Highly doubtful.

Can fancy visuals make pong a better game?

QUOTE said:
if its just based on graphics, the gameplay will be crap (but not all the time).
That's called a tech demo

QUOTEif its just based on the gameplay and has poor graphics
That's called good games in the 90's.

I can't think of any game that has top notch graphics and offer shit gameplay, and game that has good gameplay and graphics that doesn't suit the game to the point it's unbearable.
(What I'm saying is, does World Series of Poker 2009 need modeling that rivals Too Human?)

I don't think you need to sacrifice one for the other. It's not like "Okay, so we manged to set up a kickass system in *insert game*, therefore we must make the characters stick-figures otherwise our gameplay suffers"

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
They sort of go hand in hand, but gameplay comes before graphics. You wouldn't be able to enjoy the graphics if the gameplay was crap. If the gameplay is really good but the graphics were shit, it's still a decent game. The best games have graphics that compliment awesome gameplay.

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Crysis looked great, but it wasn't a good game

Lost Winds doesn't have the most polygons but it has a great art direction and amazing gameplay.

Falco20019

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Voted for Gameplay
smile.gif
If I would prefer Graphics, I would have never bought me a Wii... What is a game with perfect graphic, the best gameengines and a story that sucks? Nothing
tongue.gif

If a game is really great, I would also play it if it's 256 colors only
tongue.gif

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Gameplay. That's why I have a Wii and a DS
tongue.gif

BTW, I still play old DOS games in 16-colors and text adventures. Because gameplay matters, graphics not
tongue.gif

Even though I don't dislike good graphics
smile.gif

ENDscape

REBORN! I will post with my Dying Will!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ill say both because:

1) Gameplay is good but if i cant stand the graphics, i probably wont play it alot
2) Graphics is good but if they work too much on that and not alot on gameplay then i wouldnt play it alot either.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
If the gameplay is good, and the graphics are decent, I'll play it.

If the 3D graphics are horrible, chances are I won't play it. 2D is usually win and doesn't suffer aging like 3D graphics do.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gameplay is vital & should be the thing that is worked on first. Sadly developers have to be able to show their work early on.

Of course Graphics can often add a lot to the gameplay but it is true that a lot of pretty games do get lost in the way many years after release & what's left is a date look and nothing more. Anyone who remembers Rise of the Robots will know what I'm talking about.

Gab

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
If I enjoy playing something, I don't care for the graphics really.
Another thing, I'd even play a game with so-so gameplay, bad graphics but good story.

P

pasc

OP
Well, if the game is fun I will play it. However if it a 3D pixelationmess then... proably not.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The graphics help enhance the gameplay... but gameplay is much more important, though gfx does matter. Yes, if pong had an awesome soundtrack, super futuristic 3d graphics, motion blur etc etc I would like it more than regular pong.

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Very heavily down to personal taste then.

There seems to be a retro boom in Japan, that a Rockman (Megaman) game will be made in 8bit, and some Metal Gear game would too.

I just can't imagine Gears of War 2 keeping its gameplay when it's graphics turn into 8bit 2D. But I don't think TC meant bad graphics as THAT bad.

I guess the question is more like "Will Too Human be fun if it had Dynasty Warriors 6 graphics?" but a lot of people already hate Too Human after playing its demo so I guess that already says gameplay > graphics.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
People "claim" game play, but we all know you sell out for graphics.

This is why we have a lot of shitty f**king games with f**king pretty graphics, and it takes so long for people to just admit, ok we bought the pretty game and got suckered yet again.

It's why we have a few great games, but because the game lacked great graphics, it was labeled "dull" or "boring" and they get passed over.

Any asshole can render graphics, but it takes genius to make a great game.
And the industry is rife with graphics artist assholes with dreams of making games, but they have no real talent for making a game actually any good.
Genius is rare.

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
It's neither in my case... I mean it's kinda both at the same time.
ph34r.gif

I mean the DOS 16-bit game Rayman was very lovable, but the graphics was low level, yet it was heart warming. The gameplay was stiff and strange, but you liked it in a strange way for some reason. I guess, it's more the feel of the game... oh god, I just confused myself.
ph34r.gif

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I play N64 and PSX games on my high-end PC because I like the gameplay of many games. Also, art direction and 'graphics' are not neccessarily the same, as the latter typically refers to realism. Games like Aquaria have great art direction, and on the other end so does STALKER - it is not the best looking game compared to Crysis or CoD4, but it doesn't sacrifice the bleak and depressing atmosphere for the bright flashing lights prefered by graphics whores.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.