Gameplay footage leaks from The Last of Us remake

It appears that the upcoming remake of The Last of Us has suffered another leak. After the existence of the project was leaked twice (once by Bloomberg and once by Sony), gameplay footage has been appearing on social media over the last 24 hours. The leaks appear to have started with XboxEra co-founder Nick Baker, who has Tweeted out a number of pictures and videos allegedly from the upcoming game, including a look at the controller layout, accessibility options, display options menu, and some general captures from the story mode. However, all of these Tweets have since been removed from Baker's Twitter account.

However, three videos Baker posted to Streamable are still online. Totaling about 6 minutes of gameplay overall, these videos give us a good glimpse of stealth and combat gameplay, as well as the new workbenches.

According to Baker, these leaks come from the "the most up to date" build. He clarifies that he's not entirely sure if that means the final build or not, but given that it went gold ten days ago, it's likely this is nearing the final version.

So far, fan reaction to the gameplay has not been positive. Many have mistaken the leaked footage for gameplay of the PS4 remaster (including Baker) before noticing that the HUD has been changed to more closely reflect The Last of Us Part II. These comments are in stark contrast to those presented by animator Robert Morris who, responding to those who have been calling the remake a "cash grab," said the following: "Actually it’s the most meticulously built and crafted project that I have ever seen or been a part of in my entire career. The highest level of care and attention to detail possible."

Twitter account Naughty Dog Central also posted some screenshots from the leaks, along with direct comparisons from the original.

:arrow: Streamable video #1
:arrow: Streamable video #2
:arrow: Streamable video #3

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
What you're talking about is a "Remaster"..
Isn't a remaster just nothing more than a recompilation of the source code to modern platforms?

A remake, basically an update of the game and a remagining is what FFVII Remake came to be?

I can't consider FFVII a remake, as it is an entirely different experience. Some common points, sure, but the game is basically a different beast.

But I am always open to learn.

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't a remaster just nothing more than a recompilation of the source code to modern platforms?

A remake, basically an update of the game and a remagining is what FFVII Remake came to be?

I can't consider FFVII a remake, as it is an entirely different experience. Some common points, sure, but the game is basically a different beast.

We still don't know anything about the gameplay, yet.. And the YT footage above is low-res and blurry. Far from how the end product will look..

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Wait, so this is real and not 4chan shitpost?

rjw0hBr.png

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
This is not a "leak." This is taking advantage of the news behind the TLOU 2 leak for marketing material and you idiots are too stupid not to see it.

See if this was an actual "leak." Naughty Dog would have deep sixed it in less than an hour. How has it been a "leak" but it's been up for more than a day?

Advance Warfare did the same thing with their "leaked" trailer a day before the actual release, but it stayed up..

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

"Remake" would indicate a rebuild from the ground up. I agree that FFVII stretched the parameters as liberally as possible, but from what we know, there is nothing hinting that this tlou is beyond a remaster.

eyeliner

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
"Remake" would indicate a rebuild from the ground up. I agree that FFVII stretched the parameters as liberally as possible, but from what we know, there is nothing hinting that this tlou is beyond a remaster.
Well, If they are upgrading visuals and adding some QoL features, yeah, that can be considered a Remake.

Less than that, it is a cash grab.

Reactions: tabzer

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Well, If they are upgrading visuals and adding some QoL features, yeah, that can be considered a Remake.

Less than that, it is a cash grab.

What separates a remake from a remaster then? To me, you described the Star Wars remaster. I'm thinking "remake" is closer to "reboot", except that the story remains the same.

eyeliner

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
What separates a remake from a remaster then? To me, you described the Star Wars remaster. I'm thinking "remake" is closer to "reboot", except that the story remains the same.
To me: Remake is a overhaul of the game, with some new features and visual upgrades.
Remaster is taking the masters (originals) and release them for newer systems. Kind of like what Sega does with the never ending Sonic re-releases.

But it seems not everyone agrees with this definition.
I tend to go by with what they do in movies. Remakes are new versions (like Psycho), and there are remasters, where the movies are re-released upscaled, for example.
Reboot or Reimagining is like Rob Zombie's Halloween.
In my view, of course.

Reactions: tabzer

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
To me: Remake is a overhaul of the game, with some new features and visual upgrades.
Remaster is taking the masters (originals) and release them for newer systems. Kind of like what Sega does with the never ending Sonic re-releases.

But it seems not everyone agrees with this definition.
I tend to go by with what they do in movies. Remakes are new versions (like Psycho), and there are remasters, where the movies are re-released upscaled, for example.
Reboot or Reimagining is like Rob Zombie's Halloween.
In my view, of course.

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/07/21/how-naughty-dog-rebuilt-the-last-of-us-part-i/

Based on this article, I would consider it a good remaster for a bulk of it (control schemes, audio enhancement, and resolution/fps), where the art direction is where it starts getting into the remake territory.

Reactions: eyeliner

The Frenchman

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thing is with PS3 to PS4 conversion early on in PS4 history is that at its prime PS3 was going head to head against Xbox 360, MANY people did not get to enjoy Uncharted or Last of Us so putting these out on PS4 was logical, not unlike Nintendo re releasing WiiU games on Switch.

With The Last of Us Sony has a masterpiece, they don't want it to be forgotten and sadly the second one had a lot of controversy and it hurt its sales. Not ideal for such an important IP. The TV series coming up is a good way of getting new eyes on the IP and to have a fresh release of the game with upgraded visuals/gameplay/cinematography is a given.

To say it is not worth its price is purely opinions, some will find it just some will find it overpriced.

The quality is there, visuals are on par with part II and the story is already known to be good. Now we can have parity through the whole series.

GTA Trilogy Definitive Edition was a cash grab, pushing out an unpolished, broken version of these games.

This has every right to exist. You think it doesn't? Don't buy it, you think it does, buy it!

I know what I'll do.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hke2YUirpf4 +1