Crescent Fresh™
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So I've been racking up quite a few PC games, and I've realized that some (most platformers) would be much more fun to play if keys were mapped to a gamepad. I haven't had a chance to look around much yet, but I figured this would be a good place to ask for recommendations. I know an Xbox 360 controller would work, but they seem a bit bulky, and I don't feel like handing Gamestop $30 for a used one. Not looking to spend a ton, but tis the season, and it'll probably end up being a gift for me anyway. Anyone have a gamepad they'd recommend? Reviews of PC controllers you own would be very appreciated and helpful. Thanks.

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DeMoN said:
What are you looking for exactly? Bulky controllers are usually better because they have more buttons, but is that something you require?
Here's a good site with some gamepads.
http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.as...mp;Order=RATING
Thanks for the help! Preferably something PS2-ish. Needs a D-pad and shoulder buttons, and I guess thumbsticks as well. No rumble needed. Must be wired. Found this on the link you provided (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826127204) but I'm reading reviews complaining about thumbstick issues. I think I'd also prefer if the D-pad was broken up into 4 separate directional buttons, like an official PS2 controller. Something about the concave single-button D-pad just doesn't feel right in my hands.

DryYoshi

Love child of Dry Bones and Yoshi
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
injected11 said:
DeMoN said:
What are you looking for exactly? Bulky controllers are usually better because they have more buttons, but is that something you require?
Here's a good site with some gamepads.
http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.as...mp;Order=RATING
Thanks for the help! Preferably something PS2-ish. Needs a D-pad and shoulder buttons, and I guess thumbsticks as well. No rumble needed. Must be wired. Found this on the link you provided (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826127204) but I'm reading reviews complaining about thumbstick issues. I think I'd also prefer if the D-pad was broken up into 4 separate directional buttons, like an official PS2 controller. Something about the concave single-button D-pad just doesn't feel right in my hands.
You can just get a wired Xbox360 controller, but then you would have a ''1 button D-Pad''
If you already have a PS2 controller, you can always get something like this:
http://www.1topstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=532
(It's a random site I got off of Google BTW)

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Okay, this is the perfect thread to ask this.

Are there any standard USB2.0 gamepads for the PC that are similar to the NES, SNES, or Wiimote (Sideways) controller? Cave Story would be much better that way instead of having the keyboard on my lap.

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
PS2 controller, use this adapter.
http://www.amazon.com/PS2-USB-Dual-Control...9118&sr=8-1

No drivers needed, works instantly, full analog, blah blah blah.
I now feel like an asshat for completely forgetting adapters. Not only will that work exactly as I want, but it's 1/10th the price of most of my other options.

Thanks for the quick responses, everyone.

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I use a 360 one and it's fine. There are probably better controllers, but the 360 controller is pre-set to work for a ton of games without setting up all the bindings yourself.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I don't have much of a preference when it comes between the two consoles, the PS3 controller is far superior to the 360 controller as a PC gamepad imo.

I do wish I went with an adapter rather than getting the PS3 controller.

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
8BitWalugi said:
You can connect a PS3 controller to a PC just by installing some drivers.
Sure, but assuming he doesn't have a PS3 already, it's an expensive solution compared to the $2.00 PS2 adapter.

I wish I didn't make that mistake...

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Joe88 said:
just take note

some games will not work with the adapter
... is there a list of the games that won't work with the adaptor somewhere? The main games I'm looking to play are Super Meat Boy, Trine, Gish, and maybe some Bioshock.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
All games should be able to work with a controller if you use a third-party program like Joy2Key. It definitely won't be as good as if the game natively supports controllers though.

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DeMoN said:
All games should be able to work with a controller if you use a third-party program like Joy2Key. It definitely won't be as good as if the game natively supports controllers though.
Okay good. I hoped joy2key or xpadder would suit my needs, so that's a relief. Could you describe why it wouldn't be as good as native support though? Or do you simply mean I'll need to input my key maps for each game separately?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ending to the fallout series was lame could've gave us a bit more