GCN Gamecube sometimes read burned cds and Action Replay disc

Carnov

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
As the title says, my gamecube sometimes read burned cds and my action replay disc. There's no clear pattern on when it would read. If an error occurs, sometimes it takes 1-3 restarts to read the disc and sometimes even more. When it comes to original cds though, it has no problem reading it as far as I'm concerned.
Do I have to tweak the laser again or is it something else?

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If it's reading legit discs no problems I'm thinking poor quality copy CDs then?

I'd try a different brand and maybe look into what is the recommended brand within the scene. A quick search seems to show Ritek Ridata as the best but hard to find apparently.

Carnov

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
If it's reading legit discs no problems I'm thinking poor quality copy CDs then?

I'd try a different brand and maybe look into what is the recommended brand within the scene. A quick search seems to show Ritek Ridata as the best but hard to find apparently.
Possible but I don't think it applies to the Action Replay disc since I got that thing straight from their store

Reactions: Lostbhoy

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Possibly true but AR discs are not legit either and therefor not fool proof or susceptible to errors.

I am just guessing however as I do not have personal experience with a modded GC but I'd definitely try a different brand before tweaking the laser. The "again" in your first post sounds ominous tho!

Sorry I'm unable to answer, hopefully someone with a bit more knowhow here can suggest something.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would try burning with a different drive/PC and/or using imgburn if you're not already, before messing with the laser again. And if that didn't help, I'd try different media before messing with the laser. Laser tweaking has its place, but it should always be last resort. IMHO.

Carnov

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
After some tweaking here and there and reviewing the ohms resistor, just discovered that the main problem is with the laser. Apparently, the resistor was still a bit high and my burned games finally run without a hitch. Managed to turn it around 160-175 if I did my readings right.
Only problem now is that my micro SD card reader starts to act funny since it doesn't always read my card and I'm not sure if it's because of me tinkering with the resistor or because of the reader itself but that's a problem for another time.

Reactions: Lostbhoy

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

After some tweaking here and there and reviewing the ohms resistor, just discovered that the main problem is with the laser. Apparently, the resistor was still a bit high and my burned games finally run without a hitch. Managed to turn it around 160-175 if I did my readings right.
Only problem now is that my micro SD card reader starts to act funny since it doesn't always read my card and I'm not sure if it's because of me tinkering with the resistor or because of the reader itself but that's a problem for another time.

Very nice to hear you got your Backup Games to work.:)

For the Reader:

Did you have checked the SD Card LOCK please ?

If it is the one from the Action Replay,that is not unusal,the Reader is unfortunately not really "best made and Quality".
Maybe you should consider to buy one of these:

SD Reader

Amazon has it too but out of Stock for the Moment...:(

Thank you.:)

Carnov

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Hello.:)

Very nice to hear you got your Backup Games to work.:)

For the Reader:

Did you have checked the SD Card LOCK please ?

If it is the one from the Action Replay,that is not unusal,the Reader is unfortunately not really "best made and Quality".
Maybe you should consider to buy one of these:

SD Reader

Amazon has it too but out of Stock for the Moment...:(

Thank you.:)
Yeah the one I'm using is from Action Replay. I did hear something about it being flimsy but I never really thought about it that much. Will look for a different one though. Thanks for the info.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu