Hacking Gamecube roms on 3ds

[demon]

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can it be done? if so how? i'm specifically hoping to run Wind Waker. Is there a way to run it through a flash cart?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Flash carts run things in DS-mode, meaning only with the power of the original DS, which is far too weak to emulate GC games.

Even when the 3DS's full power is unlocked though, I highly doubt there will ever be a GC emulator for it. Even a lower-end Core 2 Duo on the PC with a comparable GPU to the 3DS will struggle with many GC games.

djricekcn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gamecube will probably not work due to the power of the 3DS itself, it'll probably even be hard for the Vita as well.

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Almost certainly not going to happen, there is like a .1% chance that everything will align for someone to make a perfectly optimized emulator to run GC games on a 3ds

Reactions: SuzieJoeBob

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
You can only hope tack Nintendo get inspired by Capcom's Monster Hunter 3U and decides to release the remastered Wind Waker for both Wii U and 3DS.
As if Nintendo would ever get inspired by someone else Haha

Lube_Skyballer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
You can only hope tack Nintendo get inspired by Capcom's Monster Hunter 3U and decides to release the remastered Wind Waker for both Wii U and 3DS.
As if Nintendo would ever get inspired by someone else Haha

Nintendo only gets inspired by money and casual gaming and more money

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Nintendo only gets inspired by money and casual gaming and more money
Why wouldn't a company whose purpose is pretty much to earn money, be inspired to get money?
Companies like Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft will do whatever will sell the most, why do you think they all went into casual markets with Wii Mote, Kinect and the PS Move?
Or why there are even hundreds of yearly sport games like PES, Fifa, CoD, etc?
It's because people buy them, and that's all that matters.

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The only way we're going to play wind waker on the 3ds is if Nintendo port the game, so it is running natively on the 3ds hardware. Even then it would be a bit of a stretch and would likely require some compromises.

As Rydian said, flash carts can only run games in DS mode. The games run directly as if they were on a real DS cartridge so they play at full speed.

Emulators can be written for the DS to play games from older platforms, but to emulate a gamecube game you need a platform significantly more powerful than the 3DS.
Even 16 bit era consoles (Genesis/SNES) are not emulated at full speed for all games on the DS.

chocoboner

VILLAIN
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Even when the 3DS's full power is unlocked though, I highly doubt there will ever be a GC emulator for it. Even a lower-end Core 2 Duo on the PC with a comparable GPU to the 3DS will struggle with many GC games.

yeah, you're right. although I wonder how good an emulator could be in theory if Nintendo themselves were to make one, with all their technical knowledge. thinking like what Sony did for PSX support on the PSP. (although there's no reason to think that Nintendo is interested in doing this.)

on that note, I wonder what the limit would be for the 3DS if we could run emulators on it. what's the latest console it could emulate at full speed? maybe Dreamcast?

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
There was a PS2 game ported to the 3DS, which is Tales of the Abyss and the game didn't suffer any alterations graphics wise, besides the add of 3D. Given that the 3DS is nearly as powerful as a wii, it should be able to run gamecube games, emulation wise it's hard to say though.. It should be able to emulate N64 without problems or even PSX if it's done correctly, but dunno fore anything more recent like PS2 and Gamecube, seems highly unlikely.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
thinking like what Sony did for PSX support on the PSP. (although there's no reason to think that Nintendo is interested in doing this.)
PSX on PSP is virtualization, not hardware emulation, which is why it doesn't have a gigantic performance hit. On the other hand, GC is PPC while 3DS is ARM, CPU hardware virtualization won't work.

on that note, I wonder what the limit would be for the 3DS if we could run emulators on it. what's the latest console it could emulate at full speed? maybe Dreamcast?
I still haven't seen any benchmarks (of the 3DS itself, not similar hardware-using devices), and we're not likely to see some until people publicly get unsigned code running on it to whip up some benchmark-type programs.

Reactions: the_randomizer

chocoboner

VILLAIN
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
ah yeah, you're right. there's an architecture difference.

even though we have no benchmarks, I'm guessing that fact probably makes it unlikely that GC games will ever run on 3DS via emulation.

Ziggy Zigzagoon

Trophies
XP
Country
Are you high?? The Nintendoo DS could not play PlayStation 1 games nor even Nintendoo 64 games or Gameboy Advance games (the latter without help)! The 3DS is not THAT drastic a step-up.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Even if the 3DS was fully hacked and had some overclocking, it still wouldn't be powerful enough to play Gamecube games.

Also flashcards work in DS-Mode, which means it's even more limited to what power it can use.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Are you high?? The Nintendoo DS could not play PlayStation 1 games nor even Nintendoo 64 games or Gameboy Advance games (the latter without help)! The 3DS is not THAT drastic a step-up.
Are you equally as high??! What the hell does emulation capabilities of the DS have to do with anything? The difference between a DS and a 3DS is huuge spec wise.
That said though, the idea of emulating a system more powerful than itself is laughable. The reason 3DS games look better is because of the much more capable GPU and lower resolution the games are being rendered at.

ps the gamecube uses iso not roms
ROM = Read Only Memory
They are roms, haven't you heard the term CD-ROM before?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Incorrect, they do infact use roms
If we go by that standard, every single console in the history of ever used ROM's.

The accepted nomenclature is "ROM" for proprietary chip images and "ISO" for disc images because that's how they're stored, the format here is irrelevant. :P

That said, yes, I suppose you're all right saying so.

Deleted member 318366

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can it be done? if so how? i'm specifically hoping to run Wind Waker. Is there a way to run it through a flash cart?

Nope, sorry buddy. I may be a complete nark but even i know that you cannot run gamecube games on the 3ds. Just not possible, ain't gonna happen. :P

Edit: Would be badass though i'll give you that!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: hello everyone