dmonkey21

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I would like to know anything I can about modding a gamecube. I know that there are lots of modchips, but i don't know anyting about them or where to get them. Also, my only experience "modding" anything is using a NDS Flashcart and computer upgrades, so is it hard to do soldering on a GC? I've never soldered anything before either lol. Also, I donlt really understand but I've heard there are some chips that let you boot from a modded memory card with an SD card inside to play homebrew. is this true and do yu need a modchip to use it and so on? Also, I've heard of something people call a case mod, and from what I understand it just uses full sized DVDs, which I suppose would be much easier. Also, my computer is not that good I think the DVD write speed is 8x (maybe 16x but I'm pretty sure it's a max of 8x), so would my disc even work? Pretty much, from all this gibberish I was just wondering if one of you guys could clue me in on how to mod my gamecube to play backups and I suppose Homebrew as well.
smile.gif

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you want to start GC homebrewing and haven't soldered much in the past ^^ I suggest you get a Viper GC or Viper GC extreme. The solder points are pretty big (relativly speaking to a drive mod). As for SD you would also need an SD adapter of course which you can make or buy. As for a full sized case it really is a must, unless you want to use copter mode (which is without a top end of the GC case) or small DVDs wich are damn expensive.

I have a few things online for GC that might help you out a bit. Some things are a little old though but should still be okay and accurate
smile.gif

http://ngc.scorpei.com/index.html

dmonkey21

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ya thnx guys I think I'm gonna go for a Xeno GC. The solder point are kinda small, but it doesn't use wires, and I actually just found out that my MOM has done a bunch of soldering in the past and could probably help me out 0.o Go figure...

I am probably also gonna get a Gecko SD because thats what you need to use on a Xeno w/ anything that uses a file library, like SNES9XGX, or FCE.

Also, I really don't have much cash right now, so I was thinking at least for the moment to use small DVD's, I found some Ritek's (From what I hear the most reliable) for like $10 for a 20 pack.

My only question now is if mhy burner is good enough...
At my disposal I only have the crappy burner on my laptop and the burner on the family eMachines that is crap beyond belief (whole system was like $200 lol). I'd just probably burn at 2x or 1x, so it should be ok, right?

Oh! Also, alot of GCN Mod sources link to pages on gcemu.dcemu.co.uk. Everytime I go to anywhere on there it cannot display the page. Even places on dcemu.co.uk link here, is it just a dead website?

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I bought a xenoGC modchip about 2 weeks ago. This whole modding thing is easily the worst experience in my life involving video games. I would recommend you not even go near modchips, at least not GC modchips. I have soldered and desoldered the chip about 28 times by now and still can't get it to work. I have tried wired install and the soldering directly to the board. Do not go anywhere near modchips. Yes, I know it sounds great and you are very interested in getting Gamecube homebrew running but I can guarantee you will waste your money and come out as a very sad, frustrated, and angry person. Do not think about doing it, don't think it is easy, don't think it will work, and don't think you will be happy with the end result, I once again will guarantee you with someone with no soldering knowledge will 100% fail modding your cube and will waste your money. I have been trying to solder my chip again today and ended up melting different parts of the board due to so much soldering and de soldering. I am posting this to warn you as I do not want the same thing to happen to me to happen to anyone else. However, I am pretty sure I am going to be wasting my time as you will not listen, nor do I blame you, when people get excited and hyped about something nothing can change their mind and think they can do it no matter what anyone else tells them. I will warn you, now it is your choice. But when you get your chip, solder it in and see it doesn't work, and finally realize that your way in over your head, you will remember my post.

paul1991

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you buy a ViperGC extreme or QoobPRO, you only have to install 4 wires or so on very different parts of the board.

EDIT: A xenoGC is the size of a SINGLE KEY ON YOUR KEYBOARD. Flippin' tiny!!!

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you buy a ViperGC extreme or QoobPRO, you only have to install 4 wires or so on very different parts of the board.

So parts of the board(the dark green areas) are solder resistant, as in, solder doesn't stick to them or else I could get my xenoGC attached a long time ago. Think of a drop of water on wax paper, it doesn't stick and it just stays there and doesn't provide any use, similar to soldering on the dark green section of the board, solder will not stick making your solder and lead useless.

Agjsdfd

My title
Trophies
XP
Country
I used max drive pro for long time.(to play backups)
But you cant buy it anymore, I searched A LOT, found only one auction on ebay, chances are low to win...
Also SD media luncher works to load homebrew and game, but you have to do something with the lenses to be able to run backup games.
Better to buy a Xeno GC than other solutions.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
But you cant buy it anymore, I searched A LOT, found only one auction on ebay, chances are low to win...
Also SD media luncher works to load homebrew and game, but you have to do something with the lenses to be able to run backup games.
No it is not better to buy a XenoGC if you don't have lots of soldering experience as it will 100% fail.

And the SD media launcher has homebrew compatibility problems like not being able to load the SNES emulator.

Max Drive Pro is the absolute best but also rarest way to run brew and backups.

Agjsdfd

My title
Trophies
XP
Country
Of course,
someone who doesnt know much of soldering shoudnt do it by theirselves.
Also yes, Sd media luncher is not as good as other solutions.

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've installed over 100 qoob sx chips and also dozens of xenogc chips, they work perfectly fine.

If you cant solder yourself, then ask a friend or let someone else with soldering experience install it for you.
It's actually not that hard to install, for the qoob/viper chips you have to take of the heatsink.

But with the xenogc you only have to take off the dvd drive and loosen the screws, then you can solder it on the dvd serial port.
For me this is the chip to go now.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've installed over 100 qoob sx chips and also dozens of xenogc chips, they work perfectly fine.

If you cant solder yourself, then ask a friend or let someone else with soldering experience install it for you.
It's actually not that hard to install, for the qoob/viper chips you have to take of the heatsink.

But with the xenogc you only have to take off the dvd drive and loosen the screws, then you can solder it on the dvd serial port.
Haven't taken off my heatsink for my Viper Install
smile.gif
. The leg is exposed enough to solder to without removing the sink if you know what you are doing of course
wink.gif

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Do you do services or what? Because for just a hobby that sounds way over exaggerated.

Also, What do you mean by loosen the screws on the DVD drive? That isn't necessary as far as I know. Who would want to loosen those screws? What purpose would that serve?

Triforce

Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
Remember you don't have to use a chip, theres other ways. I use Action Replay and get it to boot up a loader so i can select .dol files from a memory card in slot 2. GCOM, GCOS etc. I wont go into the details on how to set it up and transfer dolphin files, but once done it's a simple process to play backups. Load AR, swap AR for backup, play.

Im waiting for the DVD emulator though so i can remove the GC drive and replace it with the emu to run a large HDD with a nice selection of games on it. I do this with PS2 using hdl 0.8b from a memory card exploit, and also a hacked XBOX with swapped hdd for xbmc and emulators.

It should be great when we can finally get the Cube running isos off a hardrive. And from what i saw at tehskeen it shouldn't be that long now.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Can't find any soft mods that are decent these days, SD media launcher is a crappy solution. And Max Drive Pro is so rare that it can't be bought.

dmonkey21

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

No it is not better to buy a XenoGC if you don't have lots of soldering experience as it will 100% fail.

And the SD media launcher has homebrew compatibility problems like not being able to load the SNES emulator.

Well, as I said I know people who would help me solder it, and the only thing the Gecko SD I'd need it for is emus because otherwise I could use the bootable iso homebrew trick.

If you're having problems with the SD Adapter make sure it's formatted FAT 16 or it won't work right.

Maybe the Max Drive Pro is good for you guys, but I don't wanna do that much disc switching just to play backups lol.

Also, here is the video I used to get most of my ideas for what I wanted to do w/ the mod.

Xeno GC

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Well, as I said I know people who would help me solder it, and the only thing the Gecko SD I'd need it for is emus because otherwise I could use the bootable iso homebrew trick.

If you're having problems with the SD Adapter make sure it's formatted FAT 16 or it won't work right.

Maybe the Max Drive Pro is good for you guys, but I don't wanna do that much disc switching just to play backups lol.

Also, here is the video I used to get most of my ideas for what I wanted to do w/ the mod.

Xeno GC
Yes, I have seen that video as well, you need a solder the size of what is in that video to be successful. And if you do it yourself, you will fail guaranteed. Give it to whomever you know that knows what he or she is doing. I wish you luck but probability of success if pretty low.

dmonkey21

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

So parts of the board(the dark green areas) are solder resistant, as in, solder doesn't stick to them or else I could get my xenoGC attached a long time ago. Think of a drop of water on wax paper, it doesn't stick and it just stays there and doesn't provide any use, similar to soldering on the dark green section of the board, solder will not stick making your solder and lead useless.

sounds to me like you would have much better luck if you used flux... I only say that from what I've heard of the solder dripping elsewhere on the board... if you r using flux then idk man. Keep in mind all the tips I've found about installing the xeno GC:
Use the smallest soldering tip you can find.
Always use flux.
Use a 15W Iron.
Apply some solder to the solder points on the dvd pcb, then just a bit on te Xeno GC itself.

QUOTE(lenselijer @ Feb 9 2008, 10:46 PM)I've installed over 100 qoob sx chips and also dozens of xenogc chips, they work perfectly fine.

Ya, that's exactly why I decided to get it. I'm not even going to be the one soldering guys...
Also, all of you reccomend the max drive pro, but that is not what I want at all. My main reason of getting a mod chip was to do away with the annoyances of swapping and load times in softmods. To me, a tricky install is far easier to deal w/ than a 20 sec load w/ a game swap everytime.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I am using flux of course. Well, this thread isn't about me, it is about your choice of modchip.

If I were you though, and had to get a god damned chip, I would at least go with qoob pro as it has a USB port, memory for BIOS and everything. It is the a great chip, if you can get it to work.....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: