GCN GameCube Modchip

Zim05

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im going to buy a gamecube for about $50 and want to get a modchip and a icedcube case
5_icedcube_review.jpg
and was wondering what is the best gamecube mod chip is

If you have a gamecube modchip please share your experiences

many thanks
bow.gif

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Depends what you want it for really... if you aren't bothered about homebrew or making backups of GC games and just want a chip to play copied/import games then get a xenoGC, it's the cheapest chip out there, compatibility is perfect, it's quick solder and VERY easy to install. It's one of the few chips that boots transparently i.e. it boots like an original game straight into the game where others you have to go through a menu.

I didn't bother buying a full sized case as they were quite expensive when I looked around for them, and it worked out cheaper overall just paying a bit more for 8cm DVDs.

smile.gif

Zim05

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends what you want it for really... if you aren't bothered about homebrew or making backups of GC games and just want a chip to play copied/import games then get a xenoGC, it's the cheapest chip out there, compatibility is perfect, it's quick solder and VERY easy to install. It's one of the few chips that boots transparently i.e. it boots like an original game straight into the game where others you have to go through a menu.

I didn't bother buying a full sized case as they were quite expensive when I looked around for them, and it worked out cheaper overall just paying a bit more for 8cm DVDs.

smile.gif
Looks like I might just get that without getting an icedcube case
smile.gif
One question when you mean it goes straight into the game does it still go through the gamecube logo screen?

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My ViperGC has worked perfectly since install. It runs the latest COBRA bios so it does show an initial screen, but then loads up the game (backup or original) without any button presses or anything. It's user selectable so you can choose the default action to go straight to the game, or stay at the menu screen, or whatever. Easy install if you have basic soldering skills.

ediblebird

Trophies
XP
Country
i say the XenoGC as well. its what i have, good price, it was my first bit of soldering of a modchip and i could even solder it on easy. I ended up getting the icedcube case tho, and i think it cut a lot of hassle of trying to find good 8cm DVDs

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

smile.gif

smile.gif
One question when you mean it goes straight into the game does it still go through the gamecube logo screen?
Yeah it goes through the normal gamecube logo screen/boot sequence and then into the game, just like an original.

As for the case, it's your call really... I did a bit of working out and figured I wouldn't ever need more than 50 discs. So 50 12cm printable Verbatim DVD-R would have cost me £10 and the full size case would have cost me £35 or something crazy - total £45. Whereas 50 8cm printable Verbatim DVD-R cost me less than £30, not to mention they look a lot cooler.
smile.gif

You can also buy just a top part replacement case (i.e. no bottom part, just the lid) for a fair bit less, but reviews for one or two particular brands seem to suggest that they didn't fit all that well, so that put me off getting just half a case - maybe that issue has been fixed by now though?

smile.gif

tjas

The Gbatemp HRManager
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Can you guy's share your expertise on modding a cube? I'm thinking of buying a xeno GC. Where is the best place to buy? And which media can be used to burn iso's on to? And is it really that simpel that you can burn mini dvd's and play it on the cube?

Thanks
smile.gif

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Can you guy's share your expertise on modding a cube? I'm thinking of buying a xeno GC. Where is the best place to buy? And which media can be used to burn iso's on to? And is it really that simpel that you can burn mini dvd's and play it on the cube?

Thanks
smile.gif
foundmy.com seem very cheap... I don't think you'll find them much cheaper than $14! As for me... I bought mine from eurasia.nu which sell them for $15 now (plus $7 shipping) and they accept paypal which is handy.
Installing the chip is extremely easy, much easier than a wii chip. It's a quick solder chip so all you need to do is place the chip on the right place on the board and use 4 drops of solder to bridge the 4 points on the chip with the board.

Like the Wii the GC laser can be a bit fussy with media so it is recommended you pay a bit more for a better quality disc such as Verbatim. A few people have had to adjust the strengh of the GC laser slightly to read backup games, but I can't comment on this much as I have never had to do it myself, I think it may be an issue with other mod chips or using cheaper media?

And yes it is really simple, just burn the iso burn with nero onto a standard mini 8cm DVD-R (Verbatim ones are the best) and you're done!
smile.gif

tjas

The Gbatemp HRManager
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Thanks
smile.gif

foundmy.com seem very cheap... I don't think you'll find them much cheaper than $14! As for me... I bought mine from eurasia.nu which sell them for $15 now (plus $7 shipping) and they accept paypal which is handy.
Installing the chip is extremely easy, much easier than a wii chip. It's a quick solder chip so all you need to do is place the chip on the right place on the board and use 4 drops of solder to bridge the 4 points on the chip with the board.

Like the Wii the GC laser can be a bit fussy with media so it is recommended you pay a bit more for a better quality disc such as Verbatim. A few people have had to adjust the strengh of the GC laser slightly to read backup games, but I can't comment on this much as I have never had to do it myself, I think it may be an issue with other mod chips or using cheaper media?

And yes it is really simple, just burn the iso burn with nero onto a standard mini 8cm DVD-R (Verbatim ones are the best) and you're done!
smile.gif

Thank you! I deffinitley want to pay with paypal.. I just hope that I don't have to screw arround with the laser, because I just fixed that problem... Is there like a compatibility list for media that the cube supports? Ow and what are those dre errors? to they appear often?

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thank you! I deffinitley want to pay with paypal.. I just hope that I don't have to screw arround with the laser, because I just fixed that problem... Is there like a compatibility list for media that the cube supports? Ow and what are those dre errors? to they appear often?
There are compatibity lists but the thing is that the POT level i.e. strength of the laser in GameCubes are not all set to the same level, along with other factors such as revision number and age of/wear on the machine, will affect compatibity. So media that works in one GC isn't guaranteed to work in another by default.
However, if you use a good quality disc such as ritek or verbatim you are unlikely to have a problem, but if you do decide to adjust the laser you can adjust the POT so you can read a wider variety of discs.

I've not had to adjust my GameCube laser and I don't have any disc read errors or anything, backups run just like originals. If you google 'gamecube POT tweak' or something you will find a lot of info on this, but I wouldn't look into it too much or else you'll never end up buying a mod chip!
tongue.gif

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

smile.gif

smile.gif

I would recommend getting a big case. I use the 8cm DVDs and the only ones I've found that work well are the datawrite reds. I have a hell of a time getting hold of them. With a big case you don't have that problem as you can just use a full size dvd.

tjas

The Gbatemp HRManager
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

smile.gif

smile.gif

I would recommend getting a big case. I use the 8cm DVDs and the only ones I've found that work well are the datawrite reds. I have a hell of a time getting hold of them. With a big case you don't have that problem as you can just use a full size dvd.
I think the cases are pretty expensive... But i made up my mind and i'm going to buy a xeno gc from eurasia
smile.gif
And I found that the shop where I always buy my cd's has got these:
DVD-R >> DVD-R/-RW mini >> Verbatim mini DVD-R 1.4Gb 4x / 5-pack slimcase
smile.gif

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I can't talk about any other mod-chips as I have never used them, but I really like the Viper GC Extreme. It is slightly more expensive but it does work really well. It is however a full IPL replacement (with the option to start the original bios) but that also gives it more features (video streaming, etc.).

http://ngc.scorpei.com/viper.html

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's much, much cheaper in the long run to get the case that plays full size DVD. I remember spending a while buying the mini DVDs but it was too much hassle in having to reorder them so I just spent a little more on a fairly cheap GC case and I never regreted it.

FrozenOne23

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've got my gamecube modded too. I'm using a Qoob Pro with a full size case (so I don't have to use mini size DVD's). So far all games have been working for me (50+ of the very best gamecube games) and originals work too offcourse. Updating the firmware is possible through USB. The USB cable delivered with the chip is very easy, you plug it into your pc and the other end in your qoob pro and you can flash programs (dol files) or firmware to the qoob chip. Cheats are also supported (and you can flash files with 1000's of cheats to your chip by the same usb method. The cheats work just like you'd have an original action replay disc. I think qoob pro is (one of the) best chips, you won't be dissapointed.
lecture.gif

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm using a XenoGC v2 and it plays watever I throw at it. I was using those expensive ass mini DVDs with about a 50% success rate. SO, I bought a case mod and no I'm using full sized media with about a 98% success rate.

Here is a pic of my Cube in action. I was originally platinum. But my case mod is transparent blue. I wanted one of those badASS IcedCube cases but couldnt find one for a decent price. The little green light on the side is the XenoGC. And don't laugh a my Diet Coke, you know u like it too lol
razz.gif

my-cube.jpg

tjas

The Gbatemp HRManager
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I can't find a supplier that offers a cheap cube case and has paypal possibilities
frown.gif
can anyone help??
biggrin.gif

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum