Hacking Gamecube Homebrew Launcher

Jademalo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, this is taken from wiibrew:

Purpose

Launch Gamecube homebrew on Wii. Read before using! Program can be dangerous, because the flash is changed.
Changes in Version 0.2

1. Support for front SD slot.
2. Gamecube disc work normally.

Background Information

DOL loader is patched into MIOS. If Wii switches to Gamecube mode, the DOL loader is always started. The loader will start Gamecube homebrew if loaded by GCBooterHomebrew. The loader launches the normal GC loader if no homebrew is detected. This behaviour can be disabled by reinstalling a normal MIOS.
Installation Steps

1. Copy RVL-mios-v5.wad.out.wad into root of front SD card (This file is not part of the archive and is located on Super Mario Galaxy Disc (EU), Mario Kart (EU) and maybe on all discs released in between). If you use a different version, this is on your own risk. The MIOS patching wad installer will only allow to install MIOS. This can only break the GC mode. Loader should not patch any starlet code.
2. Patch MIOS using MIOSPatchingWADInstaller.
3. Copy your Gamecube Homebrew DOL into SD root as start.dol. Use Wii front SD slot.
4. Launch GCBooterHomebrew. This should start the the DOL on the SD card. If screen looks strange, you need to try it again. It is sometimes not working.

and now, a few questions.

1. What is exactly being patched.
2. I already have SMG and MKWii, does that mean i dont need the patch?
3. can someone rewrite the instructions in readable english?
4. Does this mean that normal gamecube disks work like normal, and will boot the .dol file that is on the wiis SD card?
5. With step 2, is that just installing a normal MIOS, or is it slightly modifying the one that you download from SMG/MKWii?

im worried about how this works>

Arm the Homeless

Custom Title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1. The MIOS
2. You don't need the patch. It's to play GameCube homebrew on Wii.
3. It is English. Easy to understand. Think.
4. Run the Gamecube Homebrew Booter included in the package. I haven't tried a Gamecube disk yet.
5. It installs a patched MIOS (modified) which loads the DOL loader when Gamecube mode is started.

Jademalo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Arm the Homeless said:
1. The MIOS
2. You don't need the patch. It's to play GameCube homebrew on Wii.- ok, so whats that about MKWii and SMG in the install instructions?
3. It is English. Easy to understand. Think. - READABLE english. there are long complicated sentances that completley confused me. (dam, that sounded like im saying im thick xD)
4. Run the Gamecube Homebrew Booter included in the package. I haven't tried a Gamecube disk yet. is that all i have to do?
5. It installs a patched MIOS (modified) which loads the DOL loader when Gamecube mode is started. so.. gamecube homebrew booter does exactly the same thing as the gamecube regio free booter? just boots gamecube mode? and then the modified MIOS takes over and loads the thing of the SD card?

blazingwolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just used this yesterday, its safe, finding the .wad was a hassle though someone helped me out with it. After installing I was still able to play GC games so your Wii is still fully functional. I was able to load GC Homebrew like USBBoot V2 and got a Paper Mario: TYD backup to load, so yeah, its great.

Arm the Homeless

Custom Title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Jademalo said:
Arm the Homeless said:
1. The MIOS
2. You don't need the patch. It's to play GameCube homebrew on Wii.- ok, so whats that about MKWii and SMG in the install instructions?
3. It is English. Easy to understand. Think. - READABLE english. there are long complicated sentances that completley confused me. (dam, that sounded like im saying im thick xD)
4. Run the Gamecube Homebrew Booter included in the package. I haven't tried a Gamecube disk yet. is that all i have to do?
5. It installs a patched MIOS (modified) which loads the DOL loader when Gamecube mode is started. so.. gamecube homebrew booter does exactly the same thing as the gamecube regio free booter? just boots gamecube mode? and then the modified MIOS takes over and loads the thing of the SD card?
2. You can read. It's not in the archive of that game it says.
3. Learn to understand. It's not hard.
4. Once you've installed the patched MIOS.
5. All this does is load the start.dol gamecube (not Wii) homebrew on the root of the SD card.

Jademalo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Arm the Homeless said:
Jademalo said:
Arm the Homeless said:
1. The MIOS
2. You can read. It's not in the archive of that game it says.
3. Learn to understand. It's not hard.
4. Once you've installed the patched MIOS.
5. All this does is load the start.dol gamecube (not Wii) homebrew on the root of the SD card.

it says that its not in the archive that you download with the program in it.
You need something from those disks, and i think ive got it now, you need that, and the installer program thing patches that wad and installs it to the MOIS

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
blazingwolf said:
I just used this yesterday, its safe, finding the .wad was a hassle though someone helped me out with it. After installing I was still able to play GC games so your Wii is still fully functional. I was able to load GC Homebrew like USBBoot V2 and got a Paper Mario: TYD backup to load, so yeah, its great.
So it loaded on an unmodded Wii? Did you need a SD Gecko? Did you load the game from DVD or SD?

Jademalo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
im getting an error.. it says failed -1 mor something, then goes back to the HBC. then, when i run GCBoot, it doesnt load my dol.

help?

do_wad() failed with rv -1

LoudMaximus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does this allow for the official Nintendo emulator for a few n64 games to run on the wii too?I don't know too much about it I'm afraid,I can't even remember its name or anything I just know I heard something bout it a while back.Its just this would be a nice way to play zelda majora's mask without waiting for a new version of wii64 or a vc release

Miles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for adding yet another question to this thread, but I'd rather not clutter up the forum with a topic similar to this one.

I just need to clear this up.
If I buy an SD Gecko, and install the Gamecube Homebrew launcher, I can just use it to load GCOS and run Gamecube backups without any mod chips right off my SD card?

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Miles said:
Sorry for adding yet another question to this thread, but I'd rather not clutter up the forum with a topic similar to this one.

I just need to clear this up.
If I buy an SD Gecko, and install the Gamecube Homebrew launcher, I can just use it to load GCOS and run Gamecube backups without any mod chips right off my SD card?
I'd like to know this too... Also, is it possible to uninstall the wad again?

blazingwolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Yes it is possible to uninstall it.

2. Regular Gamecube Games boot fine on the Disc Channel with version 2.

3. It is possible to load Gamecube backups with Gamecube Homebrew Launcher, an SDGecko/USBGecko and SDLoad/USBBootv2. It will not work with GCOS, but I prefer SDLoad anyway. So yes you can run backups all you need is an SDGecko.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
blazingwolf said:
1. Yes it is possible to uninstall it.

2. Regular Gamecube Games boot fine on the Disc Channel with version 2.

3. It is possible to load Gamecube backups with Gamecube Homebrew Launcher, an SDGecko/USBGecko and SDLoad/USBBootv2. It will not work with GCOS, but I prefer SDLoad anyway. So yes you can run backups all you need is an SDGecko.
Thanks a lot for the information
biggrin.gif
To be honest, I don't care how I run GC backups, as long as I can
tongue.gif
I just saw this list again, and I'd gladly 3 euros for that
rofl2.gif
I'll just go and order my SD Gecko then... I've been wanting to buy it multiple times now (for Twilight Hack and such) and this time I'll just order one... I hope it'll work
smile.gif

Pikachu025

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hmm, is the first version still available anywhere? I like the idea of GCOS autobooting when I start any GC disc, would save a lot of import-disc-swapping hassle.

OneUp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This will not allow you to use GCOS to boot gamecube games. If you have a modchip you should already be able to boot GCOS multiboot games and all. If you want to boot GC backups, you would need SDBoot for a SDGecko or a clone of it, or USBBoot if you have an USBGecko.

Miles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OneUp said:
This will not allow you to use GCOS to boot gamecube games. If you have a modchip you should already be able to boot GCOS multiboot games and all. If you want to boot GC backups, you would need SDBoot for a SDGecko or a clone of it, or USBBoot if you have an USBGecko.
So If I get SD Boot, SD Load, and an SD Gecko I can boot GC backups?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)