Hacking Gamecube games not auto prompting progressive mode

portugeek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure why, but out of nowhere all my Gamecube games stopped prompting the progressive/interlaced mode screen. At first I thought that maybe the Wii was remembering my selection and no longer prompting me. But I started noticing that even after I installed a new game (that allows 480p) it's not prompting me anymore.

I'm running USB Loader GX r1209 and Devolution r188. As for the video settings, I've set everything up as system default, and even disc default, with neither producing new results.

Is there something I'm overlooking? Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I do not have any problem with games supporting 480P
Try starting usbl gx with a fresh config file ( reset settings )

Also make sure your Wii system video settings are set to 480p ( 3rd option )
Make sure you connect your Wii via Component leads.

Reactions: portugeek

wiismodrome

flubber
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
If you find a solution for this problem, please post it here.

I'm having sort of the opposite problem. I would like to disable the progressive selection screen with loader settings. My 480i TV is connected with component and 480p will not display at all. Using Wiiflow with Devolution I can set the loader for 480i and the games will load correctly in 480i without showing the progressive screen. Dios Mios always shows the selection screen no matter how the loader is configured.

SoraK05

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
As far as I know, whether you are on a PAL/USA/JAP, with the appropriate hacks, the only way (especially after system menu v3.2) to get the progressive scan working on the NTSC GameCube games is to have the Wii's 'setting.txt' video mode set to NTSC. Having a USA System Menu will prompt the progressive scan question, but if the video mode in the 'setting.txt' is not set to NTSC using the USA System Menu, there will be no prompt.
You can use AnyRegion Changer to set the video mode on the Wii's setting.txt to NTSC.

Using Starfall / Priiloader on Wii System Menu 3.2 with the 'enable GC video mode hack' will get the progressive scan prompt even when using a PAL video mode in the 'setting.txt'. After v3.2, enabling the GC video mode hacks would not get a prompt, and the 'setting.txt' must be set to NTSC.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
99% of all NTSC cube games have progressive mode.
99% of ALL PAL games do NOT have this.
DiosMIos can patch some PAL images to Progressive signal.

You best bet is to get your hands on NTSC copies/backups.

portugeek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do not have any problem with games supporting 480P
Try starting usbl gx with a fresh config file ( reset settings )

Also make sure your Wii system video settings are set to 480p ( 3rd option )
Make sure you connect your Wii via Component leads.
I tried resetting the settings last night. I even tried deleting the settings files from the SD card, and still nothing. The Wii system is set to 480p and I'm using component cables. The weird part is that it's not prompting even after a fresh install of a game that supports progressive scan.

Doesn't holding down 'B' bring the option back, can't quite remember.
YES! Thanks for this! This brought the prompt back, but it seems to only be forcing the prompt for that specific instance. Which is what I assumed it would do, but just to try, I reloaded the game again to see if maybe it jarred something loose. Nope.

I read somewhere that the Gamecube would remember these settings after the first prompt and not notify you again. It went on to say that Wii didn't do this and would ALWAYS prompt. I don't know how true this is.

My Wii is NTSC-U ver.4.1
My games are NTSC-U backups (except 4 of them were DL'd .iso's because my discs weren't in the best shape.)

You know, now that I think about it, the prompts stopped after trying to Verify the .iso's. Two of the four verified just fine, but the other two didn't. I assumed at the time that it was because my discs were bad. But what if it has something to do with the .iso's. They all say NTSC. But is it possible for someone to modify an .iso that was originally from another region? Would something like this goof up my system?

Idk, now I'm just speculating because I feel like I've done all of the obvious fixes, and it's still not auto prompting.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I tried resetting the settings last night. I even tried deleting the settings files from the SD card, and still nothing. The Wii system is set to 480p and I'm using component cables. The weird part is that it's not prompting even after a fresh install of a game that supports progressive scan.

YES! Thanks for this! This brought the prompt back, but it seems to only be forcing the prompt for that specific instance. Which is what I assumed it would do, but just to try, I reloaded the game again to see if maybe it jarred something loose. Nope.

I read somewhere that the Gamecube would remember these settings after the first prompt and not notify you again. It went on to say that Wii didn't do this and would ALWAYS prompt. I don't know how true this is.

My Wii is NTSC-U ver.4.1
My games are NTSC-U backups (except 4 of them were DL'd .iso's because my discs weren't in the best shape.)

You know, now that I think about it, the prompts stopped after trying to Verify the .iso's. Two of the four verified just fine, but the other two didn't. I assumed at the time that it was because my discs were bad. But what if it has something to do with the .iso's. They all say NTSC. But is it possible for someone to modify an .iso that was originally from another region? Would something like this goof up my system?

Idk, now I'm just speculating because I feel like I've done all of the obvious fixes, and it's still not auto prompting.
Then it surely must be the images you are loading.

SoraK05

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
From the Disc Channel, NTSC games loaded with an NTSC video mode in the 'setting.txt' should work fine, prompting or perhaps holding B.
I don't know about devolution, but having a NTSC video mode in the 'setting.txt' should help..

portugeek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then it surely must be the images you are loading.
But I am now having this problem with ALL my games not just the two (working) images. Have you ever heard of bad images manipulating global settings?

From the Disc Channel, NTSC games loaded with an NTSC video mode in the 'setting.txt' should work fine, prompting or perhaps holding B.
I don't know about devolution, but having a NTSC video mode in the 'setting.txt' should help..
I can't access a settings menu directly from devolution. Which leads me to believe that it's using USB Loader GX's settings. Unless you're talking about a global 'setting.txt' for the Wii console. Where would I go to find that file?

SoraK05

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
But I am now having this problem with ALL my games not just the two (working) images. Have you ever heard of bad images manipulating global settings?

I can't access a settings menu directly from devolution. Which leads me to believe that it's using USB Loader GX's settings. Unless you're talking about a global 'setting.txt' for the Wii console. Where would I go to find that file?

The global Wii's setting.txt found in the system menu's data folder (title/0000001/00000002/data/setting.txt).
This file contains the settings for the Wii such as its region, country codes, video mode, etc.
You can use the homebrew AnyRegion Changer to modify these things, including the video mode.

Homebrew can sometimes interfere with the progressive scan thing with its own video patching hacks.. holding B might work though in general..

Also, a full 1:1 ISO in devolution should require verification. I believe an ISO which is modified against the disc used for verification may not work.
The homebrew CleanRip is recommended to dump the discs you are using for verification.

Also, just as a precaution, I found that changing files around on the hard drive I was using for my GameCube ISOs after verifying (like deleting and adding ISOs) will require verifying the ISOs again with devolution, since the devolution DRM probably takes into account the state of the hard drive and the location of the files on the HDD's sectors..

portugeek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The global Wii's setting.txt found in the system menu's data folder (title/0000001/00000002/data/setting.txt).
This file contains the settings for the Wii such as its region, country codes, video mode, etc.
You can use the homebrew AnyRegion Changer to modify these things, including the video mode.
I checked out "AnyRegion Changer" and I worried that my noobness might make the use of that homebrew risky. But you got me thinking. If all I needed to do was modify the 'setting.txt' file why not just change the Wii settings through the actual settings menu. Like selecting 480i and saving.. then reselecting 480p and saving.. thereby letting the Wii console make the actual change to the 'setting.txt' file itself.

Then while I was actually thinking that through I came across this utility in homebrew browser called "Settings Editor GUI" so I used that instead. And it WORKED!! :)

You were right, a change to the 'setting.txt' file was needed. Thanks for the help and heading me in the right direction!

*EDIT* - I still don't know what messed up the 'setting.txt' file to begin with. Because when I would go to the Wii settings menu it would show that the resolution was set to 480p. For whatever reason the games just stopped prompting w/o me actually changing the settings.

SoraK05

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
I checked out "AnyRegion Changer" and I worried that my noobness might make the use of that homebrew risky. But you got me thinking. If all I needed to do was modify the 'setting.txt' file why not just change the Wii settings through the actual settings menu. Like selecting 480i and saving.. then reselecting 480p and saving.. thereby letting the Wii console make the actual change to the 'setting.txt' file itself.

Then while I was actually thinking that through I came across this utility in homebrew browser called "Settings Editor GUI" so I used that instead. And it WORKED!! :)

You were right, a change to the 'setting.txt' file was needed. Thanks for the help and heading me in the right direction!

Glad it helped :)
BTW, changing the settings in the Wii Menu from 480i <-> 480p won't change the video mode from PAL<->NTSC.

EDIT:
If your settings get 'stuck', changing between 480i<->480p and playing with the video mode settings can help with this..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16