Gamecube games 3.8:3 aspect ratio with usb launcher gx?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by Jinroh, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Jinroh
    OP

Newcomer Jinroh Member

Switzerland
    Hey guys,

I spent a few hours yesterday to softmod my wii and copy all my existing wii and gamecube games to my usb hard drive.

I managed to make everything work, but I have an issue with gamecube games. First, the colors are kinda washed out, when I compare Resident Evil gc on my wii to it's counterpart running on Dolphin, there's a HUGE difference. The version running on my wii looks really grey and pale in comparison. Any reason why?

But my biggest issue is definitely the aspect ratio. When the game launches (whatever ratio I select in usb loader gx), it usually does in 16:9. In itself it's not a big issue, since I can ask my tv to turn it into 4:3. But the problem is that when it's in 16:9, there are two small black bars on the left and right sides of the screen. So the game is obviously not stretched to fill the screen on my bravia (it doesn't happen with wii games). So when I ask my tv to force 4:3 on it... It stretches the picture, including those black bars.

The characters seemed obviously a little bit too thin, so I took my ruler, and checked the dimensions. On my computer screen I had (in cm) 44.9*33.8, which makes a ratio of 0.75278. It's 4:3.

But on the TV it was 63.6*50.2, which makes 0.78616. As I thought, not wide enough, it makes something like 3.8:3.

So my question: Does anyone else have that particular problem, and is it possible to solve it? Does it come from the wii? Or maybe usb launcher gx? I can't test my gamecube games "natively" on my wii, as my console is pal and all my games japanese and americans. So I can't really compare and determine the cause of the problem. But honestly this wrong aspect ratio is a big issue for me.

Thanks in advance!

2. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I'm not sure I followed what it was you're doing to your aspect ratio, so I'm just going to point out your two best options and how to accomplish them. It's likely that what you described is an over-correction (treating a 4:3 image like it's 16:9 and squishing it even more).

Option #1: Display your GameCube games as 4:3 on your widescreen TV with black bars on the left and right sides (like with a 4:3 image on YouTube). GameCube games do not have native 16:9 support, so without any hacks, the only way to have the correct aspect ratio is to have those black bars there. The TV should be set to 4:3 (normal) and the Wii settings should be set to 16:9.

Option #2: DIOS MIOS has a Force Widescreen hack you can use. It doesn't work great with some games, but with this hack enabled, GameCube games should work just like your Wii games. With this hack enabled, the TV should be set to 16:9 (stretch) and the Wii settings should be set to 16:9.

3. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I forgot to edit and double-posted, but I should point out that your loader should be set to work with whatever aspect ratio your Wii is set to use. In your case, both your Wii and your loader should be set to use 16:9. The Wii setting for aspect ratio also doesn't affect GameCube games.

4. Jinroh
    OP

Newcomer Jinroh Member

Switzerland
    Yeah that's the problem, that's what I did. No issue with the wii and its game in 16:9. But as soon as I start a gamecube games (in 16:9) there are those SMALL black bars on the side. It's like some kind of weird 14:9. I don't know why it's not stretched all the way to the side of the TV.

So if you compress that "14:9" to 4:3, you end up with that weird 3.8:3 ratio. I will try what you said about Dios Mios. Are you talking about the launcher? I'm still new in that particular field and I'm not sure where to configure Dios Mios.

5. Maxternal

Member Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Costa Rica
    I have a wise screen TV and I do also notice small (I leave the image as full wide-screen) black bars on the sides of my screen and, like you, only on GameCube games. I usually have the widescreen hack turned on but even then sometimes it just doesn't effect anything but If I'm remembering right the black bars are still their either way. I don't know enough about TV signals to know what may cause that.

Also, as for the covers. I don't know if it helps much letting you understand what's going on here but it seemed to me that when I changed from composite video to component video the colors all looked more vibrant. My Wii and TV are NTSC, though, and although I have a mix of PAL and NTSC games I force everything I can to NTSC because PAL50 doesn't agree with my TV with component cables (and with composite cables it's black and white and distorted.)

6. Jinroh
    OP

Newcomer Jinroh Member

Switzerland
    Do you have that problem playing those gamecube games natively on your console or using usb launcher? I also use component. Do you think a PAL 576i signal would be a better alternative than 480p?

I wonder where that "black borders" problem comes from, but certainly not from the TV. It's messed up somewhere on the wii side, but I don't know if it's software or hardware.

7. Maxternal

Member Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Costa Rica
    It's been quite a while since I've run a GameCube game outside of a USB loader and I hadn't really paid much attention to it since it doesn't realy bug me that much. It'd be interesting to try but I don't have access to my Wii right now.
    You could always TRY the 576i signal and see how it compares. (my TV just gives me a "unsupported resolution" message when I try that so that's not an option for me.)

8. tbgtbg

Member tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

United States
    Have you used any other non-widescreen sources on the same TV? Some TV's just don't do them in quite the right ratio and they just hope you don't notice. If you still have an old SD only TV around, try plugging your system into that (even if you have to drop down to composite, or it's a tiny 13 incher or whatever, it's just temporary) and just see how the ratio is there.