Homebrew Gamecube firmware on the wii?

Langin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeah I have 2 wii´s since a day and I want one only for use for Nintendo Gamecube backups. BUT I have a idea/question. Is it possible to emulate the original firmware of the gamecube on the wii? or maybe even replace it?(while holding some region free things.)(example: Make a extra side on firmware from where you can launch the original firmware.)

I ask this since I selled my NGC and I really want to use that old good firmware again.

Edit, thanks moderator!

Thoob

LOLmonade.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sell one Wii and buy a Gamecube with the money, and then have some money left over to buy games, etc.
Why did this not occur to you..?
unsure.gif

Son of Science

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thoob said:
Sell one Wii and buy a Gamecube with the money, and then have some money left over to buy games, etc.
Why did this not occur to you..?
unsure.gif
Or..
Sell one Wii, then buy two gamecubes
Then sell both gamecubes and buy 4 N64
Then sell 4 N64 and buy 8 SNES
Then realize that you should have stopped at the Gamecubes since N64s are more expensive than Gamecubes and SNES are much more expensive than N64
Now, you're short 1000ish dollars.

Langin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Lol I have a snes and a 64! And does not sound to bad! Wow I am sooo smart Jezus man. I still want to know if it would be possible, cos it is cool you know.

edit: NO WAIT >.> My backups are on bigger dvd´s that do not fit in a ngc! Hah logic. I want to sell my white wii and let my black one remain. Problem one. Though I still have 25 retail cube games.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Am I missing some nifty features from the gamecube had that the wii can't do?

If you have an older wii, it may have a drive that can play backup DVD's (the black variant comes with a newer model...sorry). If your white wii has that kind of drive, check out neogamma to get those games to work. Also: all wii's can play retail gamecube games. The thing has backward compatibility.
smile.gif

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You do realize that Wii can play GC retail game, right?

If you want to play GC backup, use Neogamma. If you want to play one of the Audio Streaming GC backup, buy a WODE and play it through WODE using USB.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the long and short of it is, he wants to be able to view the gamecube firmware (which you can't from the Wii) which is both silly and a little stupid... As the GCN firmware was just a blob of ugly black mess.

The simple answer: It is not possible to make a wii use gamecube firmware, even if you overwrote the Wii's firmware there are many differences in hardware that the GCN firmware would not be able to easily account for (differences in CPU/GPU/etc) While it may be possible to load the firmware via MIOS/BC I don't think it would be functional since it would be running on user level versus root... Unless the GCN always runs in root... honestly not sure now that I think about it.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
the gamecube firmware was simple but awesome, period
unfortunately, I don't think it has been dumped (or at least publically released)... if it was, I'm sure you could extract the main program and have the intro running on your wii as a stand alone dol since CPU/GPU/SPU are the same.
settings configuration and DVD loading won't work but memory card interface maybe

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Also nice. Never really watched Fallout on Prime, but sounds like a good show. +1