GCN GameCube controller and PJ64 question

spotanjo3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know about usb adapter to PC for those many controllers and I choosen GameCube.

Is GameCube controller compatible with PJ64 ? How ?
The reason I ask is because nintendo 64 controller have four "C buttons", but GameCube have yellow "C" stick. Will the gamecube's yellow "C' stick work like Nintendo 64 controller's four "C buttons" for many n64 games ?

What about "Z" trigger for nintendo game cube ? Will it work like Nintendo 64's controller's "Z trigger" for most nintendo games?? Can you answer those two questions ? I know that I have to manually config the controller myself but I want to know. Thanks in advance.

bryehn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
as long as PJ64 can recognise the controller you'll be fine. As for button mapping, the GCN controller does a really good job with N64 stuff...

obviously the z button can be awkward for something like GoldenEye, but the N64 games I have on Wii work great.

spotanjo3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as long as PJ64 can recognise the controller you'll be fine. As for button mapping, the GCN controller does a really good job with N64 stuff...

obviously the z button can be awkward for something like GoldenEye, but the N64 games I have on Wii work great.

You mean the gamecube's z trigger can be awkward for something like GoldenEye ? I am not fan of GoldenEye, anyway.
tongue.gif

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
and if it doesnt work out exactly how you want, you can always download joy2key and use that with pj64

joy2key is a great program, I always use it when Im watching videos and Im on the couch or in bed

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You have to figure out that the N64 controller has like 3 "handles" and your left index finger rests on the Z trigger when using the analog stick, which makes it the main Action button in most games.
on the other hand the Z trigger is really bad positioned on the GC controller.
So naturally what you have to do, is to remap (within Pj64) the N64 Z trigger to the GC L trigger, because that's where physically matches on both controller.
On the Z trigger of the GC controller you can simply map the L button from the N64, but you'll find out that it's hardly used in a game, if any.
I usually map the C buttons on the C stick, but also use X and Y on the GC for quick access to C-left and C-right, and dependind of the game, I also remap c-down or up to the GC Z trigger.
But the N64 Z trigger you definitely want to put it somewhere when you can reach it easily and naturally all the time, because it's probably the most important button.
And don't forget that you can have multiple profile and create 2 or more for different style of games.

By the way, I also use a GC controller in Pj64 and it works really great, the analog sensitivity and the deadzone are almost the same as on the real N64, making this , my first and only choice(not considering the adaptoid) among controllers.
Other joypads just lack the smoothness and sensitivity required to precisely aim or move around on N64 games.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hey !
I also have the trio linker plus, and I can confirm it works great, it even comes with a good configuration utility that lets you remap the buttons just like joy2key kind of programs.

Now I would also recommend you to get Pj64 1.7 beta, the improvement over the free 1.6 version are really worth the effort.
I've actually completed Zelda OOT with an hi-res pak in true wide-screen mode, not stretched !
Have fun..

spotanjo3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey !
I also have the trio linker plus, and I can confirm it works great, it even comes with a good configuration utility that lets you remap the buttons just like joy2key kind of programs.

Now I would also recommend you to get Pj64 1.7 beta, the improvement over the free 1.6 version are really worth the effort.
I've actually completed Zelda OOT with an hi-res pak in true wide-screen mode, not stretched !
Have fun..

I also have pj64 1.7 beta. Does this trio linker plus required disc to install or download somewhere on the google ? Or is this just plug in and you are ready to use it ? Thanks in advance.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I also have pj64 1.7 beta. Does this trio linker plus required disc to install or download somewhere on the google ? Or is this just plug in and you are ready to use it ? Thanks in advance.

Yes, in order to take full advantage of all the features you need drivers, but if I well remember, mine came with an installation CD.
Anyway I quickly found out that newer drivers were available here with improved compatibility and support for even more devices(such as the DC steering wheels and so on).
On that page there are also Vista drivers by the way.
SwordmythCould you give me a link to the controller you are going to buy because I would also like to pick up one.

This is the official page of the product, I believe there are also links to shop for it on this page.

And by the way, I have purchased several adaptors trough the years, and honestly to me this is the best there is, it works very well and their support is excellent, I've seen about 4 or five updates in a year when it was already working fine out of the box, therefore I would say they care about their product.
If you like, it go for it ! Is inexpensive, and it surely gets the job done
wink.gif

trioli3.jpg

Relys

^(Software | Hardware) Exploit? Development.$
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yes, in order to take full advantage of all the features you need drivers, but if I well remember, mine came with an installation CD.
Anyway I quickly found out that newer drivers were available here with improved compatibility and support for even more devices(such as the DC steering wheels and so on).
On that page there are also Vista drivers by the way.
Swordmyth said:
Could you give me a link to the controller you are going to buy because I would also like to pick up one.

This is the official page of the product, I believe there are also links to shop for it on this page.

And by the way, I have purchased several adaptors trough the years, and honestly to me this is the best there is, it works very well and their support is excellent, I've seen about 4 or five updates in a year when it was already working fine out of the box, therefore I would say they care about their product.
If you like, it go for it ! Is inexpensive, and it surely gets the job done
wink.gif

trioli3.jpg

I just got my self a EMS Dualshooter pro. It has two slots for ps1, ps2, or ps3, controlers! I'mma loving it! Also the playstation controler maps out nice for n64 games!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.