Hacking GameCube Backups?

Diffusion

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Are you asking on how to make backups or how to run them?
tongue.gif

Only way I know of to run them is to use an SDGecko to run SD-Boot... or a just use modchip.

With the Gamecube you can do it using Datel's SD media launcher.

Sanoblue

The Fuzzy Blue Woof!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yea thats the conclusion ive found... all i have is gc memory cards and action replay... and a wii... im thinkin maybe i can use the wii to put the files on the memory card then use the action replay to launch it

Sanoblue

The Fuzzy Blue Woof!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yea i know the wii has it blocked... but there are ways around it...

but i was thinkin use the wii to set the memory cards up so i can use the action replay on the gc and run the memory cards there

Sportsmaniac1322

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There are a few options you have.

A: Get a modchip. They run about 99% of Gamecube backups perfectly. And you can put multiple games on 1 disc!
B: Go to your local Gamestop or EBGames and pick up a used Gamecube for $30. Then, order a Gamecube SD Media Launcher and use GCOS to launch backups. I don't know how well this works because I haven't tested it.
C: Get a Gamecube and install a modchip on that! This way you don't have to boot up an application to boot backups. It just loads like normal.

Note that for B and C, you'll either need to burn on mini DVDs, or mod your case so that the Gamecube is big enough to accept full sized DVDs.

Miles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could install the Gamecube Homebrew launcher, and us an SD Gecko or USB Geco to load up SD Boot or USB Boot.

It doesn't play all the games, but it plays a good number.

Some games I couldn't get working were Tales of Symphonia, and Pikmin.

Sportsmaniac1322

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Miles said:
You could install the Gamecube Homebrew launcher, and us an SD Gecko or USB Geco to load up SD Boot or USB Boot.

It doesn't play all the games, but it plays a good number.

Some games I couldn't get working were Tales of Symphonia, and Pikmin.
I think GCOS would be easier because since SD Gecko's only go up to 2GB, you could only fit 1 game on there. But with burning the games on DVDs, you have an unlimited supply. I don't know how much space a USB Gecko has though.

Miles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sportsmaniac1322 said:
I think GCOS would be easier because since SD Gecko's only go up to 2GB, you could only fit 1 game on there. But with burning the games on DVDs, you have an unlimited supply. I don't know how much space a USB Gecko has though.
Actually SD Boot can read my non-SDHC 4GB cards fine, and apparently it can read SDHC, but I never tried.
I also forgot to mention, there are applications out there that trim the ISOs of GC games without losing any of the data.
Most GC games are only a few hundred megabyes in size.
Animal Crossing and Pikmin for example didn't even break the 100MB barrier if I recall correctly.

Miles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, if you have a gamecube already, I'd say either get a mod chip or get SD Media Launcher and Action Replay.
The Wii can do it, but it's not 100%, or probably even 75% for that matter.

Sportsmaniac1322

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Miles said:
Honestly, if you have a gamecube already, I'd say either get a mod chip or get SD Media Launcher and Action Replay.
I disagree. With the combination of a modchip and GCOS multidisc, the Wii can play almost every game from any region. I've burned around 15 backups, and had no problems with any of them.

Miles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sportsmaniac1322 said:
Miles said:
I disagree. With the combination of a modchip and GCOS multidisc, the Wii can play almost every game from any region. I've burned around 15 backups, and had no problems with any of them.

I was refering to using SD Boot and Gamecube Homebrew launcher.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: c