OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well... since my Wind Waker disk got this
http://i.imgur.com/pU4hoME.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/o4M9tay.jpg
I decided to play only backups of my original games, now on my wii. I could do it for Wii backups with a 500GB HDD. So I followed lots of guides for running GC backups from USB and I did exactly every step but all I get is a Black Screen.
These are the major steps I followed:

1. I have an SD and a HDD Fat32 with 32kb clusters (tried 64 too).
2. I did the DMToolbox thing and created the "games" folder in my USB and put the gameID folders with the iso created in there.
3. Installed DIOS MIOS 2.10. with Wad Manager and IOS 236.
4. I tried Wiiflow, cfg usb loader, usb loader GX, dios mios booter... with it's config to run gamecube games. The only option I couldn't find is "Set DML to DM". I can't find that option anywhere.
5. Tried too with an 8GB SD and DML.

But when trying all these things the only thing I get is Black Screen and then I must turn off my wii. Not even an error report... I have searched during days for trying to fix this, through the whole internet and as a desperate option I decided to post here... As here is where I found lot of posts with the same issue but not answer of the OP with the fix if they could fix it.
I'm sorry if I bother you but I do really need help with this... I even bought other USB driver thinking that mine was broken (even if wii games worked) and I bought other SD for trying too.

Thank you.

EDIT: I edited the photos. They were showing so big so I put the links to them.

portugeek

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm gonna list off a bunch of stuff, (questions/info) some of which might be common sense to you, but I'm not sure what your experience level is. I'll also point out some USB Loader GX settings.

- Is your harddrive powered via USB?
- If "Yes", does it require only one USB port for power, or does it require two, with the use of a Y splitter?
- Make sure your HDD is plugged into USB port 0 on the Wii. (it's the bottom USB port if your Wii is sitting flat.)
- Does your HDD have multiple partitions?
- Which wad did you install? DIOSMIOS_2.10 or DIOSMIOSLite_2.10? (you must install DIOSMIOS_2.10 if you'd like to run games off of a USB drive.)

USB Loader GX - (I'll be walking you through rev.1218)

Go to Settings (the circle with gears on it) then "Loader Settings" and scroll down until you see.. === GameCube Settings =======
Make sure...
- GameCube Source = Main Path.
- GameCube Mode = MIOS (Default & Customs) (Please note that changing this setting will make it the default mode for which all your GC ISO's boot up with. So if you have specific GC games in your list that you would like to boot up under a different loader, like Devolution, you'd have to change the settings individually for those specific games. To do this, you'd go to the individual game settings that are found before you start each game.

Now click "Back" and go to "Hard Drive Settings"
- Multiple Partitions = OFF (if your harddrive isn't partitioned.)
- USB Port = 0

Now click "Back" and go to Page 2 of the Global Settings and look for "Custom Paths"
- Main GameCube Path = usb1:/games/ (your "games" folder should be in your harddrive's root directory.)

All of these settings might already be set this way by default, I don't remember. I've messed with my settings so much in the past, for different reasons, that now everything feels personalized to my Wii.

Reactions: Cyan

Svanhild

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for your help, now I have another issue.
My usb loader wasn't updated and did not have those options so I found the versio you mention and now I could set that options. But now I have other problem. It tells me that the fat32 partition must be the first and primary... as this error report says to me:
http://i.imgur.com/GizBUlT.jpg
But I have 2 partitions in this HDD. One is WBFS (for wii games as you may know) and the computer detect its as unformatted. The other is the fat32 one. I don't know how to set the fat32 as first/primary and deactivate the WBFS one so it become secondary. I don't know how to explain it, I'm not good at this things so here's a photo (my screenshot key isn't working so I use my phone):
http://i.imgur.com/s0YgzOr.jpg

N: is the WBFS partition. As you can see it's marked as primary and when I try to change that I can't because my computer does not recognice de WBFS format and asks me to format it.
K: Is the Fat32 that I want to use for my gamecube backups.

How could I change this? I tried to find but I can't. I'm thinking of format my WBFS after passing my game ISOS to my computer and make only one partition for playing gamecubes and creating the WBFS one when I want to play wii ones but that's a shame...

The_Dragons_Mast

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
Thanks for your help, now I have another issue.
My usb loader wasn't updated and did not have those options so I found the versio you mention and now I could set that options. But now I have other problem. It tells me that the fat32 partition must be the first and primary... as this error report says to me:
http://i.imgur.com/GizBUlT.jpg
But I have 2 partitions in this HDD. One is WBFS (for wii games as you may know) and the computer detect its as unformatted. The other is the fat32 one. I don't know how to set the fat32 as first/primary and deactivate the WBFS one so it become secondary. I don't know how to explain it, I'm not good at this things so here's a photo (my screenshot key isn't working so I use my phone):
http://i.imgur.com/s0YgzOr.jpg

N: is the WBFS partition. As you can see it's marked as primary and when I try to change that I can't because my computer does not recognice de WBFS format and asks me to format it.
K: Is the Fat32 that I want to use for my gamecube backups.

How could I change this? I tried to find but I can't. I'm thinking of format my WBFS after passing my game ISOS to my computer and make only one partition for playing gamecubes and creating the WBFS one when I want to play wii ones but that's a shame...
All backup launchers can load wii games from Fat32 since 3+ years ago , so just make it one big fat32 partition for both the wii & gamecube games.

Svanhild

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
All backup launchers can load wii games from Fat32 since 3+ years ago , so just make it one big fat32 partition for both the wii & gamecube games.

Wow I did not know that (maybe the tutorials I followed were outdated) But it's possible to move big files to a Fat32? I'm talking about 4gb+ ISOs like Smash bros brawl is.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Like the message in USBLoaderGX told you, you need to put gamecube games on the first partition on the drive.
It didn't mention primary, but it will have to be primary too.

Your first partition is WBFS, your second partition is FAT32.
If the tutorial you followed let you made FAT32 before WBFS, you could had gamecube games working without problem.

But don't worry, you can convert your current WBFS partition to FAT32 in 2seconds, without losing your Wii games! ;)
You will have two FAT32 partition.
Check the "wbfs2fat" and the guide to use it in my signature.

Once you converted the first partition to FAT32, you can put gamecube games on this partition, then in USBLoaderGX > User path > Gamecube Main path: You can select USB1 partition. (USB1:/games/)

Reactions: portugeek

Svanhild

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank You for your help. I did this all, now I have only one partition with Fat32 and used the converter so I can play my wii games with no WBFS partition. I moved my "games" folder too and used the settings you told me... but still... now I don't get any error. Just Black Screen... I'm uploading a video to youtube so it can be easier for you to understand what's happenning or If I jumped any step.
Thank you again for your help and attention!

portugeek

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank You for your help. I did this all, now I have only one partition with Fat32 and used the converter so I can play my wii games with no WBFS partition. I moved my "games" folder too and used the settings you told me... but still... now I don't get any error. Just Black Screen... I'm uploading a video to youtube so it can be easier for you to understand what's happenning or If I jumped any step.
Thank you again for your help and attention!
This happened to me back when I did this. How did you go from 2 partitions to 1? Did you reformat the entire drive or just merge the two partitions?

Because when I did it, I had merged the two partitions. Which eventually led to problems, because when I converted the wbfs partition to FAT32, it didn't convert that partition with 32KB Sectors. So once I merged the two FAT32 partitions into one, it recognized the two different Sector sizes, and automatically assigned it's own Sector size for the entire drive. Once I learned that this had happened, I had to transfer everything off the drive, and reformat the entire drive again as FAT 32 with 32KB Sectors, then transfer everything back. After that everything worked smoothly.

Svanhild

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I reformatted it before I read Cyan's post, used the WBFS manager to create again my games ISOs so I could transfer them later. Then I reformatted it into a only new partition at 32kb sectors. I merged them before and I get the same issue, it was at 64kb sectors. But now it's only one with 32kb and that's what I get. I am also trying with other loaders but them doesn't work. I put my smash bros melee cd in and tried from the disc channel and it doesn't works neither (Was just testing, I know that with DIOS MIOS disc loading doesn't works on disc channel)

portugeek

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm.. Do you have a USB Flash drive, or another harddrive, that you can test with? It doesn't need to be very big. Just format it the same way you did with your current harddrive, and place like one or two games on it to see if they work.

Svanhild

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I used a 4gb datatraveler (Kingston) and it worked... I'm really angry that I bought a HDD for this and now I can only use this data traveler. Thank you for the help, really you helped me so much and now at least I can store 2 of my 20 gamecube games. It's something. I'll reformat my HDD again and try some things like only using it for gamecube games for a time or so.
It's a shame a pendrive works for this and a full dedicated HDD doesn't.

portugeek

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a shame a pendrive works for this and a full dedicated HDD doesn't.

Dios Mios is very picky with certain drives. And it seems to be the most picky when it comes to Toshiba drives. Now, just so you know.. this isn't necessarily a harddrive problem. This is Dios Mios just being picky. So your harddrive "could be" just fine.

If you have original GameCube discs for your games you should try using Devolution. Devolution isn't as picky when it comes to specific harddrives, but it DOES require you to verify your games. So you WILL need to own the actual disc. But, you only need the disc for a one-time verification, then after that you don't need the disc anymore.

Edit: Not only that, but Devolution has a higher compatibility with GameCube games. The only draw back is having to verify.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If you have a blackscreen, it's often because it's trying to mount the drive but fails.
I have the same issue with my seagate free agent, but it's a random issue.
Sometime the drive works, sometime it waits on a black screen, and sometime (often) the Wii shutdown.

Try to launch the game few times, if it's like me it could be a random issue.
If after 10 tries it didn't work, then your drive could be incompatible with DIOS MIOS.

If you can, try a shorter USB cable, or another one.
a user reported that the cable affected drive compatibility too.

DIOS MIOS Lite and 32GB SD card is also a good choice to store few games at the same time.

Svanhild

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'll try devolution too, I have the discs but as I said... since my wind waker disc passed I was trying to run backups. I'll try a few more times with my HDD too and I'll search for another cable. I'm not in the way to waste more money trying this. Thank you!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Bye bye