Gamecube Backups from USB?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by tylerzentz, Jan 10, 2010.

Jan 10, 2010

Gamecube Backups from USB? by tylerzentz at 2:22 AM (1,108 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. tylerzentz
    OP

Member tylerzentz GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i understand it is impossible to play gamecube backups from a USB device because once the wii enters gamecube mode, it disables all of its wii hardware that isnt meant to be used by the gamecube (i.e. USB slots). Would it be possible to create a cMIOS that can have USB functionality? Because from what i understand about custom IOSs and custom MIOSs is that they are modified versions of the originals that have better funcionality. would this be feasable?

2. junker_man32

Banned junker_man32 Banned

United States
    its not entirley impossible. theyll have to modify the mios somehow.

3. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    A MIOS is something completely different from an IOS. On Wii you have 2 processors, one for the game itself(the ppc) and one for the IOS(the arm). If the game needs data from the disc, it calls the other processor for the data. Since we can modify the IOS, the backup launching is "easy". But a gamecube has only one processor(ppc) and accesses the hardware directly. When the gc backup launcher plays a gamecube game, it patches the game itself to read DVD-Rs, the cMIOS is only resonsible for booting the gc loader, allowing DVD-R access at all, and going into GC mode. To get usb gc loading, you have to solve a bunch of problems.

And now if you look at the fact that the latest gc backup launcher is months old, and far from being perfect(for discs...), you should come to the conclusion to forget about usb gc loading.

4. EnigmaXtreme

Member EnigmaXtreme GBAtemp Maniac

Australia