Hacking Gamecube backups aren't working correctly anymore.

Thrittingsloats

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This might be kind of a long post but it's kind of a long story with a bunch of crap that happened so apologies for that.

I have a 16GB PNY flash stick that I used for Cfg USB Loader to load up GC game backups with Dios Mios and everything worked fine. However, I tried to run Melee from an actual retail disc and it would load up the game with the Dios Mios splash screen and the game would start up, but when I got to the point where I had to select a stage to play the match in, the game would freeze right after I selected a stage and the match would never start. So i did some searching online and I found a forum post where somebody said USB Loader GX would be the better one to use to keep retail games working properly. So I downloaded USB Loader GX and moved the files for Cfg USB Loader off of my flash stick and into an empty folder on my computer, leaving just the "games" folder with the GC ISOs in it on my flash stick. I then put the "apps" folder for USB Loader GX onto my flash stick and put it into my Wii and tried the retail copy of Melee again by loading it via USB Loader GX. The same problem happened, so I just decided to say screw it and switch back to Cfg USB Loader. I moved the apps folder for USB Loader GX off of my flash stick and put the apps folder and the other folders for Cfg USB Loader back onto my flash stick and put it back in my Wii and now when I try to load my GC backups it just says "loading game" forever. I didn't change any of the files at all, all I did was move them off and put them back on so I can't see why it doesn't work now. I switched back to USB Loader GX and tried that and that one only works sometimes. Most of the time it just freezes when i hit the Start button on the screen to start the game. Sometimes, the game loads up successfully but usually it doesn't.

Again, sorry for the SUPER long post, but I just felt like I should put everything there so anyone reading would know what was going on. I just don't understand why simply moving the files to my PC and back again would cause it to stop working correctly, unless switching between the loaders screwed something up. Anyway, it would be nice if somebody who actually knows what they're talking about could help me out. Thanks!

firecrotch219

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using 2.11. I'm pretty sure that's not the newest version.
DIOSMIOS is a bit dated. I recommend using Nintendont and discarding DIOSMIOS.
Get your hands on a clean cMIOS install from here. cMIOShttps://www.dropbox.com/s/onfro2baa6fzyc8/RVL-cMIOS-v65535(v10)_WiiGator_WiiPower_v0.2.wad?dl=0
It is in WAD format, so just put it on your SD card, and install it using a wad manager, replacing DIOSMIOS.
From there, use Nintendont for GC games. You can get it here. https://www.dropbox.com/s/nz3278zr61ro73r/nintendont.rar?dl=0
just put that folder into your apps folder on your SD card, and you should be able to load it using Homebrew.

The reason I am saying this is because whenever I used DIOSMIOS, I had issues with lag or freezing once in a blue moon. I haven't had any problems with Nintendont yet, and there is no annoying popup logo before you start a game. ALSO, there is a vast variety of controller support with Nintendont. Lemme know if it solves your problem, and if it doesn't, then it must be your copy of Melee

EDIT: you'll also need to change your directory for games to [USB/SD NAME]:\\games\[folder for ONE GAME]\game.iso
Yes, the iso needs to be named game.iso.

You can have as many games as you'd like, but be sure that they are each in the games folder inside their own folders (preferably labeled with the game name).

For Example: E:\\games\The Wind Waker\game.iso
E:\\games\Super Smash Bros Melee\game.iso
E:\\games\that one game\game.iso

Last edited by firecrotch219,

Thrittingsloats

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies and thanks for the links firecrotch. Yeah, I think I'm gonna try Nintendont. Hopefully it works. If not I'll probably be back on this thread asking more questions lol.

Edit: Thanks a lot for the advice guys. I switched to Nintendont and it seems to be working flawlessly now. Loading up backups and loaded up my retail copy of Melee just fine. Thanks a ton.

Last edited by Thrittingsloats,
Reactions: firecrotch219

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i dont know why tv manufactures put the hdmi ports in dumb locations so the cables have to stick out, and then down, putting strain on the ports. Instead of having the ports along the bottom edge of the tv facing downwards.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    windows me was mostly on laptops if i remembered correctly
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I hate that too where you have to use an HDMI extension for an Amazon Fire Stick.
    +1
    I had a desktop with ME on it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, And also cheap-ass desktop PCs like eMachines.
    Worst MS OS in history. Period.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My entertainment centers blocking all my io gotta fix that eventually
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I had used win 98 SE till XP arrived
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nah I can still go for totinos