Gamecube backups (4.2)

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by jakl_53, Jan 4, 2010.

1. jakl_53
    OP

jakl_53 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 27, 2009
    United States
    So i have my wii (evil new 4.2 that can't play wii backups) softmodded and can play my homebrew and all that fine. I understand that I cannot play Wii backups from disk, sad but I can deal. Since it cannot play Wii backup disks at all, can it play GC backups?

2. Krestent

Krestent What to post?

Mar 31, 2009
    United States
    I just saw a thread in which that question five minutes ago so I know that you could have found the answer by searching, but the answer is NO

3. jakl_53
    OP

jakl_53 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 27, 2009
    United States
    My bad. I just saw that thread but didnt read the whole thing so a mod can lock this if they would like.

4. djtaz

djtaz PM's Full - Wadder Me

Sep 21, 2008
    Why cant you play backups from 4.2 ?
    Are you talking about discs or are u talking about from a USB harddrive ?

5. jakl_53
    OP

jakl_53 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 27, 2009
    United States
    From disk because I have the new chipset or whatever it is. Im curerntly try to boot from usb loader, but I already searched for a GC USB loader and I already know that is a no, but I wasn't for sure about from a disk.

6. djtaz

djtaz PM's Full - Wadder Me

Sep 21, 2008
    I have a 4.2 machine here in front of me and i just loaded both the USB drive and also a disc from the wad i have.

Discs do work on 4.2 if you have the correct wad installed.

7. jakl_53
    OP

jakl_53 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 27, 2009
    United States
    Its never worked for me and everywhere that I have read says that Wii's purchased after late 2008 have the new chipset which blocks dvd backups

8. ddetkowski

ddetkowski GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 15, 2009
    United States
    United States
    I've modded a lot of Wiis, and even virgin Wiis at 4.0 had the new D3-2 chipset in them, FYI

9. petspeed

petspeed GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 13, 2009
    You can still play GC backups but that requires one of the new generation modchips like Wode. I think also Wiikey fusion and flatmod fusion can do it when they are released. These chips makes it possible to play Wii and GC backups from USB and/or SD.