Gamecube backup loader not working

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by clownz, May 26, 2009.

May 26, 2009
  1. clownz
    OP

Member clownz GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Sorry if this is in the wrong area and please move to correct area if it is...

I recently tried to use Gamecube Backup loader Xi by WiiGator and I updated to Mios 5 like the instructions indicated and made sure I have cIOS r9 installed. The Gamecube logo shows up in the Channel and when I try to run it it goes black and reboots.

I have the softmii packs installed and backups work great from the channel, but now this new game cube back up loader is not working [​IMG]

I tried to go into the SD card and run the Gamecube Backuploader directly from the apps folder and it goes black, reboots and nothing happens.

I tried to use the Gamecube multi loader (3 games on one disc) and then I also tried to use 1 game on one DVD and no luck. any advice tips help link to guides that have had this same exact problem is greatly appreciated. I did search the forums and could not find anyone else with the same problem and a resolution.

Thanks in advance

2. LexLuthor

Member LexLuthor GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    What firmware and region are you?
    What region disks are you trying?
    Try one from you region and see if that works.

If so then its probably to do with your settings in preloader.
    Make sure you have the latest version (0.29) installed and that you got the full hacks.ini file off of Wiibrew. Then double check you have all the right hacks enabled, ie. Force Disk Region, Region Free Gamecube Games, No health check.. so on.

3. clownz
    OP

United States
    Firmware - Region NTSC
    I have been using PAL/NTSC (works fine for wii games) and the other day the gamecube multi disc menu came up but could not load any games, so I decided to try and install mios5 and cIOS r9

I have preloader v27. the update setting is getting an http error page cannot be found then says please insert coin

might be the preloader issue, v27 doesnt have a region free gamecube option
    thanks for your help. i didnt think to check preloader. i am going to search the forums/google on a safe way to update preloader. i am afraid i might brick the wii if i dont upgrade right.

4. LexLuthor

Member LexLuthor GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Hmm still seems odd.

The best bet for upgrading preloader is to just head over to wiibrew.com (.org?) and download the .dol from there and just install it through the homebrew channel. It will just replace the old one.

Whilst your there lookup hacks.ini and copy the text for your region. Then paste that information into your hacks.ini file which should be at the root of the SD (you'll have to open it in notepad or something).

5. clownz
    OP

United States
    Thanx Lex for all your advice,

I updated preloader to v29 and then manually posted the Hacks.ini file onto the root of the SD card and edited the options again. For some reason it took more than one boot with preloader to show the region free game cube in the options.

Re-ran mIOS patcher using v5 and hitting x to get the games to load from the disc channel (apparently I did not hit x the first time I used the patcher)

then I used Wiiscu to do all the ios updates with trucha bug and updated all the channels.

I have noticed that for some reason if I mix PAL/NTSC game cube games on the multiboot makers they dont work the screen just goes black. If I do a single disc with an NTSC game cube game it seems to work.

Whereas, before I did all these updates the multiboot disc menu used to come on but now it doesnt. (cant complain happy to have at least some gamecube games working)

I am using system menu 3.2u, preloader v29, mios v5 patcher by wiigator, have everything installed from the softmii v 2.5 pack, ios 30 (according to preloader), installed everything with wiiscu with trucha bug.

I do notice that some of the wads I tried to install for the VC games, they just boot to a black screen and when I hit the home button it pops up with their menu and I can see the game in the background but I am not able to play them. Any ideas? I havent been able to play them even when I had just the softmii pack installed.

Any ideas on the VC games?