Gamecube Backup Launcher

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by EnigmaXtreme, Mar 17, 2011.

Mar 17, 2011

Gamecube Backup Launcher by EnigmaXtreme at 9:48 PM (2,833 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. EnigmaXtreme
    OP

Member EnigmaXtreme GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Ok so i just updated to Mios rev 10 using WiiPower's cMios v0.2 and when i go to run Gamecube Backup Launcher I get

Failed to read dvd 263. Error 0x53100 Ready

However aftera second or too the screen goes either black or green and sometime sthe game loads, it loaded for Four Swords, Mario Sunshine and Eternal Darkness but not for Windwaker or Double Dash

Secondly while Eternal darkness did load, i got an error at the Poe screen saying

An error has occured. Turn the power OFF and check the Nintendo Gamecube Instruction Booklet for further instructions.

Is this a known problem?

and lastly, i remember I while back there was a patcher to be able to have the GC backup launcher on the disc channel anyone know if thats still possible

2. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    Modchip?

So it fails to read the disc for some reason(modchip?) and then just starts MIOS, which has a few side effects as you already noticed:
    - Some games don't work at all like Wind Waker
    - Autio streaming is not working. If you eject the disc after the game started, but before the error shows up, you can play it.

If you have a modchip, then what's the point in having the the backup launcher to show up in the disc channel? Anyways, it's still possible, you just need WiiGator's original 0.2 cMIOS and select the correct option during the installation. Or take Waninkoko's cMIOS rev5. But both integrated launchers are outdated and will fail for some games. Well of the games you mentioned, they should only fail for Wind Waker in so far that the dungeon map will crash the game.

Edit: Haha, retail games on a not modded Wii? Sorry that's too much for WiiGator's loader, it can really only load backups on softmodded Wiis. NeoGamma can read retail discs/1:1 discs on everything and backups/multi game discs on softmodded Wiis.

3. EnigmaXtreme
    OP

Australia
    I dont have a modchip and I will run cMios rev 5

4. EnigmaXtreme
    OP

Australia
    Ok i used rev5 and still getting the error

5. Hells Guardian

Member Hells Guardian GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Wiipower correct me if I'm wrong but If you are recieving that error I believe that means the wii is seeing the disc as an original disc and boots through the unpathched MIOS? right? which if thats the case means that this system must be chipped because it doesn't see the discs as a backup but as a retail game.

6. WiiPower

Germany
    I think you are confusing a few things. It should the GC part of the backup launcher that can't read retail discs / if you have a modchip. And since that's in GC mode, the system menu or any IOS/cIOS doesn't matter anymore. But you got it partly right, the system menu needs to let you start the game, and if the system menu can't read backups, it won't get to booting MIOS.

The reads for backup discs on softmodded Wiis are the dvd sector reads that were indented for video dvd playing, and they need a sector as parameter. While the reguar dvd read needs an offset. You can't use each of them on the wrong type of discs, the drive refuses to work in that case. The cIOS identifies the tpye of discs transparently(i think only for wii discs...) and uses the correct one automatically, while WiiGator's loader is hardcoded to only use the dvd sector read.

NeoGamma's GC loader on the other hand identifies the disc type and uses the correct read command after this. But since i'm lazy, it only does that in GC mode and not in wii mode, which causes a read error when trying the get the game list. Well, that i could fix, but then i had to tell the modchip a starting offset, which i don't know how. Again, well, i could fix that too by patching all reads to use the correct offset, but i'm way too lazy for that. (and it would require the plugin code in memory, so no good Ocarina support for this anyways)

7. Hells Guardian

United States
    Ok thats a good bit about the way it works. always glad to learn a bit. the system menu and cIOS part I already understood. It was exactly how the cMIOS worked that I didn't get I just knew from personal experience that if I boot a retail disc through the system menu thats always the error it returned then it just booted without patching any reads so I simply assume that thats normal behavior for that particular cMIOS when the system is seeing a retail disc (Weather from a chip or because it's actually an original). Thanks for giving me a bit more insight as to whats happening in the background though.

8. WiiPower

Germany
    If you start a gamecube disc from disc channel, the system menu and its IOS need to be able to identify the disc as gamecube disc. Instead of launching the game somehow, the system menu does something i don't know* and then starts MIOS. And the cMIOS is patched to start the integrated GC loader as this time. If that gets into some error, it starts the regular GC loader that's still inside the MIOS.

*If you just start MIOS from homebrew, some games don't work(WW) and audio streaming is not working, and i have no clue why

9. Hells Guardian

United States
    When system menu loiads a GC Game it loads BC which sets hollywood speed to 162MHz and loads boot2 which in turn then loads MIOS. This is according to the info I found on wiibrew.

10. EnigmaXtreme
    OP

Australia
    I should mention im using original discs, im using gcbackup cause apparently its region free so i can play my gc imports properly

11. Hells Guardian

United States
    Ok then yes that is what should happen when you load an original title. if you want to play imports properly just burn the GC Gecko OS disc and boot it through the backup loader.

12. WiiPower

Germany
    Are you sure it's helping you to play GC games region free from disc channel? I thought without region free system menu patch, you wouldn't get that far. And then since the GC loader does not actually load the game, the loader inside MIOS does, it's using your wii's region video mode. (->only reduced region free) What i'm saying is that i assume that you achive the same with the homebrew cMIOS too, but without those annoying errors.

13. EnigmaXtreme
    OP

Australia
    All i know is that the GCBL loads my USA copy of Four Swords where my region free disc channel dosent

14. Hells Guardian

United States
    Im betting you had a problem with the MIOS to begin with because as Wiipower mentioned. the system menu is most likely patched with some kind of region free hack whatever it be. The system menu won't recognize an out of region disc unless that is the case. As for weather you installed that before or after the Backuploader I couldn't say..... Have you installed Prilloader or startpatch or something of the likes?

15. EnigmaXtreme
    OP

Australia
    Oh god yes i installed Startpatch ages ago, the disc channel recognizes i placed Four Swords (US) in teh console but when i hit start all i get is a black screen