Gameboy Micro and FLASH CARTS

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by chaofan, Jun 18, 2008.

Jun 18, 2008

Gameboy Micro and FLASH CARTS by chaofan at 3:46 PM (7,183 Views / 0 Likes) 35 replies

1. chaofan
    OP

Member chaofan GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Hi guys! Got a question concerning GBA flashcarts and the Gameboy Micro.

Now, my friend had bought me a Gameboy Micro during the days where DS really hit big. I do not want to waste their money by not playing and leaving the Micro to just rot, so here I am, asking this question:

What is a good flash cart that does not stick out, and is compatible with the Gameboy Micro?

Before I get flames, I should say that I looked around, but couldn't quite decide what I was going to get. I was considering M3 Lite Perfect, but I read that it only worked for NDS. Then I was thinking about EZ Flash IV, but I did not know if it were worth it.

Let's break it down. What am I looking for?:
    -A compatible Flash Cart for my GBA Micro
    -Fits the Micro perfectly
    -Preferrably with nice memory space to fit around 6-7 GBA games
    -Preferrably with any SD card
    -Aussie website, or international website that has money order as an option

It's a big ask, but if you have one answer to the above question, it would be appreciated if input was given [​IMG]! Thanks

2. PizzaPasta

Member PizzaPasta Son of p1ngpong

United States
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10447

I know it doesn't have SD but it looks like a good inexpensive cart.

If you have a DS and a slot-1, you could just get a 3in1 (GBA sized) and flash whatever game you want to play to NOR.

Check the review section though, that's the best opinion you're going to get, really.

3. FireEmblemGuy

Member FireEmblemGuy Finally hit 1000 posts

United States
    Actually, that card might be a little small- thast can hold only 4 16MB games. The 1Gb eLink has 2x the memory for only 4 or 5 more dollars.

Note that I have to link you to DealExtreme here fro my references; They ship internationally but only accept PayPal; BambooGaming.cn claims to be AU-based, has prices in AUD, but again I don't know what they take for payment.

If you want SD for your Micro, there's really only a couple good options. There's the more expensive but more compatible EZFlash IV MiniSD, ~33 AUD or at BambooGaming for 40 AUD, both free shipping. Then there's the cheaper but less compatible SuperCard MiniSD, a little over 25 AUD, again about 40 at Bamboogaming but out of stock.

Both cards take MiniSDs up to 1GB, maybe 2 but I'm unsure. They're expensive, but you can get a cheap MicroSd and a micro --> Mini adaptor and that should work fine(works for the EZIV, anyways)

That's about all I can help you with, hope I didn't waste your time.

4. Social0

Member Social0 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Belgium
    a good ol G6 does the job!

5. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    As FireEmblemGuy said, your main options are the EZ-Flash IV (be careful which version you get as some don't have GBA compatibility), M3 Perfect (not Pro), and slot-2 Supercard (not Rumble). The Lite versions of the M3 Perfect and Supercard only take microSD cards and only fit DS Lites, so you'd want one that took miniSD so it sits flush. I have heard that the M3 Perfect miniSD does stick out slightly though. You'd mostly want to stay away from the Supercard if the sole use is going to be GBA gaming, as the Supercard has excellent DS support but lackluster GBA support due to having slow RAM that makes some GBA games slow down or not even boot at all.

So really, your main choices are the M3 Perfect MiniSD and whatever version of the EZ-Flash IV works with a GBM.

6. FireEmblemGuy

United States
    Right, I forgot to mention that you DO NOT want an EZ-Flash IV Compact, stay away from those if you're looking at GBA gaming; They'll only support GBA games up to 8MB. SuperCard Rumble Versions have no GBA support, while the M3 Pro can only play GBA games up to 4MB. And Lite versions of cards, as the name implies, only fit into the DS Lite without an extra shell, not the Micro.

As DtM mentioned there is the M3 Perfect, you can get either the MiniSD version or the Lite version(just make sure it has a GBA casing with it, they usually do). The main problem with the Perfect is the price tag- you'll be hard pressed to find one under 75 bucks, AU or US, and that's before shipping. Kinda why I left it out of my post, but it's always there as an option.

7. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    I suggest the M3 Mini-SD or M3 Lite with GBA case (both of them use SD card memory)
    I use the M3 Lite with the GBA case. It's great, and never has failed me...and it doesn't stick out!
    One thing about the M3 Lite with the GBA case is that you can swap between your DS Lite and GBA, GBA SP, or GBM and they'll all fit flushly (that is, if you swap to the correct case).

Game compatability is great and the team is known for their excellent products (iTouchDS doesn't count! [​IMG]).

Go buy one at RealHotStuff, if you are going to buy one.
    They're not particularly cheap, but they're worth every dime.

Read through different GBAtemp Slot-2 reviews to find the best one for you (don't forget to read the M3 Slot-2 review!).
    If you do decide to purchase one, read Costello's M3 How-To/FAQ - it's very helpful.

8. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    Wow, I'm not actually any help here but while I still had one I was looking at buying a EzflashV Then It got stolen 1/2 a week later.

9. dexmix

Member dexmix GBAtemp Regular

United States
  10. chaofan
    OP

Member chaofan GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Hahaha, upon further viewing, I found 4 other threads with the same topic as me, but thanks for the replies guys. Much appreciated! I shall read your posts further when I get time after exams >.< .

Now, where to get the money- ....

Cheers to the replies!

11. DespizingU

Member DespizingU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I definitely think the G6 Lite and M3 Lite are the two best slot 2 carts, and use both with my Micro. The M3 Lite more so since it has expandable memory, and there's a lot of skins for it on the GBA side. Which I haven't seen any for the G6 Lite. Basically whatever cart you go with though you'll have fun with.

12. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    EZFlashIV for GBA + 2 Gig MiniSD = full of win for around 55 bucks total shipped to your house. It takes a minute to setup the transfer of the games to your flashcart, you have to use their utility, but it's not like they are firing off any new games, so you'll most likely only have to do this once.

13. Gman 101

Member Gman 101 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Amen, I've got an M3 Lite and it's got no problems whatsoever. By the way... what are some good sites to get M3 skins from?

14. tau

Newcomer tau Member

Australia
    In the next two weeks I'll be grabbing a GBMicro and an EZFlash IV+2gb mini sd. Hopefully it all goes well.

Wondering though, anyone else think I'm crazy when I already have a DS Lite, M3 Real with gba exp and a GBAsp?

15. FireEmblemGuy

United States
    Micro is the best for portability, and I recall it having a higher screen quality than the Lite or other GBA models, so I think it's one of the best choices you can make.

16. gizmo_gal

Member gizmo_gal QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!

United States
    I dont see where anyone mentioned it directly, so I will throw this out there, GBA Micro takes GBA standard sized carts PERFECTLY, so any card that will fit the GBA or GBASP, will easily and perfectly fit the GBAMicro [​IMG].

There are some good cheapity-cheap GBA Flashcards on Dealextreme, [​IMG]. Only a couple ones--to my understanding--accept removable storage.

17. xerces

Member xerces GBAtemp Regular

United States
    +1
    I second that.

18. DespizingU

Member DespizingU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    The best two sites I've found for M3 skins are GBA The Movie Way, and the M3 Wiki(just click on the Skins link).

The M3 Wiki has a lot more skins for the GBA side of the M3(BACKIMG's). But there are a few good ones at GBATMW too.

19. tau

Newcomer tau Member

Australia
    So I grabbed a GBMicro, EZFlash IV, 2gb mini sd and a usb charger cable since USB chargers are simply the greatest ever, screw power point chargers.

Should be here early next week. Can't wait!

20. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    I'm sure you'll love it. I know I do.