Gameboy flash cart

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by rhijaen, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Jul 10, 2007

Gameboy flash cart by rhijaen at 5:06 PM (4,199 Views / 0 Likes) 27 replies

1. rhijaen
    OP

Newcomer rhijaen Newbie

United States
    Is there such a thing as a flash cart for the original Gameboy?

Can you point me to a link, please?

2. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

the only one I know and ever owned is the famous "GB Doctor".
    I have no idea where to find one these days though, as the one I ordered was back in 2001.

edit: there's also the GBXchanger but I think it's actually the same product.

3. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    I have a Flash 2 Advance (GBA) cart and the GB Bridge, they work sucessfully. They don't work with any other GBA flash carts (AFAIK)
    Some people were selling them on the trading forums, not sure if anyone still has any, thats where I got mine.
    Divineo.cn has some and some F2A Ultra carts aswell.

4. imgod22222

Member imgod22222 GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member

United States
    There was never any homebrew for the original gameboy, was there?

And was there a technological difference (besides screen) between the gameboy and the gameboy color? I remember putting a gameboy color game in a gameboy and it complaining.

5. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    There are is fair bit of homebrew/pubic domain roms out there, not sure how much I would have check my goodGBx set to be certain.
    Most of it I think was for the GBC.

EDIT: The GBC had twice the clock speed as the original GB, the processor itself was slightly different and had 4x the memory

6. cracker

Member cracker Nyah!

United States
    The GB Xchanger was actually the name of the cart linker (and it was capable of writing to more than just the Bung carts). The carts were actually named Doctor GB and Mr Flash. This is the only place that might sell them anymore. They are very hard to come by these days and I'm glad I kept mine even though I don't use it too often.

7. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    I used to have the old Bung kit in the day, had like 32MB ram on it, or 64 (I forget) but it worked with GB/SGB/GBC and it worked like a charm.

8. rhijaen
    OP

Newcomer rhijaen Newbie

United States
    Thanks guys

Not really keen on buying a $60 adapter when I can buy a cart for my GBA for the same price. Was just looking for something that would induce some nostalgia in me.

9. cracker

Member cracker Nyah!

United States
    You could always use Goomba for GBA or DS. Or if you have a PSP you could use RIN.

10. JusDaMan

Newcomer JusDaMan Advanced Member

Hold up... I remember buying a Gameboy 20 in 1 game before. I think that is a early stage flash cart. ofcorse i got that in china though.

11. cracker

Member cracker Nyah!

United States
    X in 1 carts are usually battery backed RAM carts that are useless once the battery runs out. Even if you put in a few battery you would have to have a programmer to get anything on the cart. Also the RAM is probably a very tiny amount -- 128K, 256K, etc. because most X in 1 carts usually have many duplicates of the same game that are slightly altered at runtime to appear to have more than a couple games on the cart.

12. 1man1dream

Member 1man1dream GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    short answer no. there might have been one that came out towards the end of the gb era, but when the hype was on I remembered searching all over for retailers of flash carts.

13. camx

Member camx GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Nah, look for the GB E-Merger i'm sure you can find it somewhere. Its a perfect solution... 64M cartridge, the only problem i've ever had was that the it uses your printer port for connection. Also, it really only works with both an AC Adaptor (not included) and a 9 volt battery at the same time (also not included.) BUT i've had mine for a few years now and the battery is still top notch and it still flashes and plays games perfectly. A little finesse is required to get it to work right but I swear by this thing, it will play em just like the originals.

14. DjoeN

Member DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Belgium
    I used to have a GB E-Merger
    Still have my GB-Xchanger (V2)
    Still have a Famous SCC (Super Smart Card), i can even use it in my Super Pro Fighter X Turbo (Snes backup device)
    Also have a Multi Game Doctor 2 (MGD2) with GB interface

Here a few others:

- GB Game Jack (UFO)
    - GB Challenger (UFO)
    - GoldFinger 3in1 (EMS)
    - Gameboy Smart Disk Drive (CCL)
    - Super Twin (FM Trading)
    - Hashi-SH Touchboy
    - Megaboy
    - E-Merger (Netmars)
    - GB Transfferer (EMS)
    - GB Bridge (In combination with FA)
    - GB Smart Drive
    - GB Backup Station (Genius)
    - Touchboy
    - GB Cart Flasher (Homemade by IT Students from Poland)
    - Various other Homemade GB/GBC flashers
    - Maybe i forgot a few :/

15. flai

Member flai Androgynous Apparently :)

United Kingdom
    If you want one I'll see if I can't find mine (no promises), cause I've got no use for it anymore so I can sell it.

Its a Dr. Flash 64MB. I used to use it for my Gameboy Color back in the day when I was a lil' pirate.

16. test84

Member test84 GBAtemp's last ninja 2.

Iran
    which one is good and still available to buy?

17. acrocosm

Member acrocosm GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    xchanger is rare besause it's the most famous and teh best of them all. If you have lots of patience you can wait for one to show up on ebay (expect high prices and very high last sec bids) but you can get a GB Transferer which is also quite good and reliable here and here, they are the only trustworthy retailers according to the LSDJ forums/wiki

18. cracker

Member cracker Nyah!

United States
    For another option of available hardware I will suggest the TouchBoy that can be acquried at AI Trading (GoldenShopHK back in the day). IIRC they got pretty good reviews from people back in the day but I have no firsthand experience with them. I ordered from the shop twice back in the day and they were very speedy and reliable but bare in mind that was back in 2001 or so. Some interesting info is that the company is run by the some of the old Super UFO crew (makers of the CD64, etc.).

Edit: While looking at the new Super UFO page I found this. It probably wouldn't suit your needs since it requires the original cart to dump the game from and doesn't say it can be programmed via a parallel port linker like most carts can be. Is an interesting piece of hardware for 7 dollars though. [​IMG] The 16M might actually be Megabits though. [​IMG]

19. acrocosm

Member acrocosm GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    with touchboy you need to have the original game cartridge. you plug it in your GB/GBC/GBA and then plug in the game and you tranfer it to the touchboy. if you are going that way for 71$ + the cost of the games you may as well just buy the games only e.g. from ebay. they are really cheap those days from 1-10£ for the rarer ones like FF legends. they are really cheap those days. I got zelda dx for £3.5 including shipping. i know i was lucky, it usually runs about double [​IMG]

20. cracker

Member cracker Nyah!

United States
    I have seen an unofficial tool for the Touchboy that is supposed to be able to program the Touchboy via a parallel port programmer. I'm not sure what programmer is required though and it's worth searching (and paying out the ass) for a GBX+Dr GB/Mr Flash. [​IMG] Man all this talk makes me want to drop everything and play some GB/C.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.