Gameboy Advance No Sound

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Daragon13, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Daragon13
    OP

Daragon13 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2019
    Slovakia
    Hello,

my GBA sound is very very quiet. The slider for increasing volume does not work. The sound is the same in max and in min, so I thought it would be this problem. Also I tried to replace a speaker, but it does not help. Then I tried to plug in headphones. This also does not work - no sound at all. I tried to resolder speaker, volume increaser, but nothing changed. What could case this?
    I am going to buy a new "volume increasor", but I have still three weeks to ask you for help, while waiting for it :D

2. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 12, 2009
    Have you check the capacitors, etc?

3. Daragon13
    OP

Daragon13 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2019
    Slovakia
    Hey, I found out what cause this issue. As I said it was volume increaser. Headphones also does not work, because of this. I resoldered it again and volume was again loud. While I was moving with that "wheel" it fades out immediately and makes scratchy sounds. After it it goes again loud and again the same process.. So, it is definitely volume increaser, no doubt about it.
    Next time I'll try to look on it much closer.

4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Sounds like you narrowed it down.

The "volume increaser" as you called it is something called a variable resistor or potentiometer, and are responsible for most things like this across audio equipment. When tuning up any bit of audio gear with analogue volume controls (or occasionally any analogue switching stuff*) I usually have to get some contact cleaner into the volume slider and run it back and forth/up and down a whole bunch of times to clear out any gunk in the way, or just replace it. Sometimes you can get lucky by turning it up and down a whole bunch of times but a bit of cleaner usually speeds that one up a treat. Main problem comes as some of volume things are fairly well sealed and thus it is hard to get things in.

*had a old school audio amp the other month that would drop in and out. Turns out the selector switch on the front was slightly sticky so cleaning that sorted it.

5. Daragon13
    OP

Daragon13 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2019
    Slovakia
    Yes, it is a potentiometer. I could not remember the real name of it. My english is not as good as it should be so, that's the reason why I think up some words :D .
    So, you think there's only dirt inside of the potentiometer? I've already buy a new one for about 1.25$ so it doesn't matter, but I try to to clean that with contact spray and we'll see. But I'd like to replace it anyway, as you said it has bad access into it. I try to look for some videos if that's possible.
    Thank you for a better description of the problem :)

6. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Dirt or corrosion/oxidation inside the tracks or on the wiper. Occasionally you find them welded in place by said same but that usually plays out a bit differently. But yeah a sliding surface made down to a price inside a now nearly 2 decade old device... I would almost be surprised if it worked normally.

7. Daragon13
    OP

Daragon13 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2019
    Slovakia
    I see, I will replace it anyway to avoid some future failures. Thank you :)