NintendyFan

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm working on a repair project and couldn't find any information on this. So, I decided I would start up a thread on which games require batteries to save or run other activities.

Without further adieu,

GBA games that require batteries for saving and other functions:

- Baseball Advance
- Boktai 1, 2 and 3 (JP)
- Bomberman Tournament
- Breath of Fire
- Breath of Fire II
- Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
- Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance
- Dragonball Z Collectible Card Game
- Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Heartbreak
- Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land
- Krazy Racers
- Lego Bionicle
- Lego Island 2: The Brickster's Revenge
- MegaMan Battle Network
- MegaMan Zero
- Metroid Fusion (Only some use a battery)
- Metroid Zero Mission
- Monster Rancher Advance
- Monster Rancher Advance 2
- Pokemon Emerald (Not for saving, but for other game events)
- Pokemon Ruby (Not for saving, but for other game events)
- Pokemon Sapphire (Not for saving, but for other game events)
- Super Dodgeball Advance
- Warioland 4

If anyone else can name so other games that require batteries, please let me know!

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically any game that uses "SRAM" to save will use a battery for saving purposes. So here's a complete list of those titles: http://www.pocketheaven.com/ph/releases/advsearching.php?Name=&Release=&Publisher=&Country=&Language=&Dumper=&Filename=&Internal=&Serial=&CRC32=&Size=&Save=%25SRAM%25&Sort=Release

This doesn't necessarily include games that have batteries purely for a real-time clock, or for any other purpose. Just for saving via SRAM.

NintendyFan

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hmm.. Megaman Battle Network 3 White for sure doesn't, I just repaired one of those. I'll look into this more and add these new titles tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions. :)

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My mistake, I forgot that many of the later ones could be FeRAM though they're still classified as SRAM in the release lists - http://www.pocketheaven.com/ph/wiki/index.php?title=GBA_Saves

hare1222

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for this list. I've disected a few of my GBA carts with the tri-wing screwdriver and discovered that many of them don't use backup batteries. This is pretty cool, as it means I won't need to replace burnt out batteries in most of my favs. Mega Man Zero 2 and Final Fantasy Tactics are two that use SRAM as opposed to batteries. Unfortunately, FF6 does use a battery. Bummer when it dies.

hare1222

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm working on a repair project and couldn't find any information on this. So, I decided I would start up a thread on which games require batteries to save or run other activities.

Without further adieu,

GBA games that require batteries for saving and other functions:

- Baseball Advance
- Boktai 1, 2 and 3 (JP)
- Bomberman Tournament
- Breath of Fire
- Breath of Fire II
- Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
- Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance
- Dragonball Z Collectible Card Game
- Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Heartbreak
- Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land
- Krazy Racers
- Lego Bionicle
- Lego Island 2: The Brickster's Revenge
- MegaMan Battle Network
- MegaMan Zero
- Metroid Fusion (Only some use a battery)
- Metroid Zero Mission
- Monster Rancher Advance
- Monster Rancher Advance 2
- Pokemon Emerald (Not for saving, but for other game events)
- Pokemon Ruby (Not for saving, but for other game events)
- Pokemon Sapphire (Not for saving, but for other game events)
- Super Dodgeball Advance
- Warioland 4

If anyone else can name so other games that require batteries, please let me know!
Final Fantasy VI uses a battery. I own it and have disected it with the tri-wing screwdriver.

These games don't use batteries:

Gunstar Super Heroes (yay!)
Mega Man Zero 2
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy I&II Dawn of Souls
Summon Night Swordcraft Story 2
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World

Varia

Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm.. Megaman Battle Network 3 White for sure doesn't, I just repaired one of those. I'll look into this more and add these new titles tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions. :)

Actually, I also have MMBN3 White, and had my save battery replaced a few years back. It does have one of those, that's for sure.
Even my 2nd battery had burnt out already, I was so pissed off that it happened only like 5 months later...
I'm not sure about MMBN5 and 6, but I know for fact that 1-4 all use those save batteries.
It's the only thing that always kept me from getting physical copies of the whole series...

NintendyFan

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Actually, I also have MMBN3 White, and had my save battery replaced a few years back. It does have one of those, that's for sure.
Even my 2nd battery had burnt out already, I was so pissed off that it happened only like 5 months later...
I'm not sure about MMBN5 and 6, but I know for fact that 1-4 all use those save batteries.
It's the only thing that always kept me from getting physical copies of the whole series...

It's possible that they've made 2 different versions with battery save and just SRAM memory, thanks for clearing this up for me! I'll edit this ASAP.

loco365

Trophies
XP
For some reason, on the PH list of games that use SRAM+Battery to save, Final Fantasy IV is on there, but mine doesn't have a battery.

NintendyFan

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
For some reason, on the PH list of games that use SRAM+Battery to save, Final Fantasy IV is on there, but mine doesn't have a battery.

I haven't seen a IV with a battery yet, but it is possible. Like I said above, it would seem they created some versions ( presumably first release ) of games that use battery and then when creating another run of them, used SRAM no battery.

loco365

Trophies
XP

I haven't seen a IV with a battery yet, but it is possible. Like I said above, it would seem they created some versions ( presumably first release ) of games that use battery and then when creating another run of them, used SRAM no battery.
That's certainly a possibility.

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I have an european copy of Warioland 4 which seems to be using FeRAM and no battery backup, though the casing clearly has "slotting" for battery backup in the casing. Still, non battery backed up FeRAM seems to be in use.

I find it possible the whole list of games is "only some" - possibly depending on region or revision.
I am just happy only my ruby has battery and even that is just for the clock.

bradzx

x-Darkie-x
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have Bomberman Tournament cartridge with me and I save the file. Then I turn on and pick Quest, it delete by itself. I don't have any tool with me. I know I need to buy it but I forgot what is name of tool to open it up. So I can change the battery.

FlareFolf

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Blender Bros. also seems to have a save battery, i have seen two copies of the game from the inside and they both had one

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:ohnoes: Y didn't U Tell ME that ALSO? @BigOnYa :ohnoes: 🤢🤮
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does it taste like... chicken?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I wanted to ask you about your experience with seeing south park. Most of the people a bit younger like my younger brother and cousins that are a few younger than me that saw kids found south park funny because of the curse words, kids at school, that seemed like liking the show on a very basic level.

I could not quite have a in depth discussion of the show.

How was it for you? As an adult. What did you find the most interesting part about it. Did you relate to the parents of the kids and their situations. Was it satires, the commentary on society. The references on celebrities' and pop culture.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember seeing the very first episode back in the day, and have watched every episode since. I used to set my VCR to record them even, shows how long ago.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just like any comedies really, and cartoons have always been a favorite of mine. Family guy, American Dad, Futurama, Cleveland Show, Simpsons - I like them all.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    South Park is great cause they always touch on relavent issues going on today, and make something funny out of it.
    +3
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa were you always up to date on the current events and issues of the time or were there issues that you first found out thru south park
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Most of the time yea I knew, I watch and read the news regularly, but sometimes the Hollywood BS stuff, like concerning actors slip by me. I don't follow most Hollywood BS (example: the Kardasians)
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa there were relevant issues before south park was made, that's why i think a south park prequel/spinoff would be great. Randy and his friends in their child hood
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, like them running in high school together, getting into stuff, and how they got hitched and had kids. And how the town of South Park was back then compared to now. That would be cool to see.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @salazarcosplay if they made a prequel, it would still be about current issues, cause it doesn't make sense to make it about stuff that happened 30 years ago that nobody cares about anymore
    it's too late
    the older south park episodes about particular issues usually age poorly since the topic is no longer relevant
    an exception is giant douche vs turd sandwich, that's always relevant :P
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was gone for like an hour and none of you thought to write or call pos
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We knew you were going to Sonic to get lunch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sonics fast I would've been home in 10 mins
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Meet and greet with AncientBoi then?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That would've gone slow he's old
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That would've gone slow he's old +1