Gaming (GameBoy Advance) GBA Games Requiring Batteries

oneWonders

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just in case anyone wants to know, Advance GTA (the Japanese version of GT Advance) uses a battery for saving. I should probably learn how to back up the save data before I lose it all...

Reactions: cvskid

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
Nice list

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Just in case anyone wants to know, Advance GTA (the Japanese version of GT Advance) uses a battery for saving. I should probably learn how to back up the save data before I lose it all...
If you have a DS flashcart and a DS, you gan use GBA backup tool to make save backups.

oneWonders

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for your reply :)

I have a really old R4 DS if that is any use. Not sure how to see what fw i have but it says software wood akmenu 1.62 hw:00 if that's it.

Is this http://gamebrew.org/wiki/GBA_Backup_Tool
the software you are referring to? And is it the latest version?
From the broken english on that page I'm not sure if it is A or B that will backup the save to SD card and which one will overwrite the cartridge's save from what is already on the SD card. Maybe it will be more clear when i install it.

I'm more worried about my gbc zelda saves to be honest - getting some of those rings is a right pain!

I really need to get a better flash cart for DS or 3DS anyway, cos this R4 cart seems to have slowdown on a reasonable amount of games - is that usual for an original R4 or is it likely the sd card?
I guess I should try and get a better one soon before they become hard to come by.

Thanks!

oneWonders

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok I just tried it an it's fairly straightforward.
Pressing A overwrites the current .sav file on the SD card that you are highlighting. It doesn't matter if the name of the save isn't the same as the game, it will still overwrite it.
Pressing B will create a new save file based on the metadata for the current rom and name it correctly.
So for each game you will want to press B.

In fact the first time you use it you cannot press A because there are no existing save files on your SD card to overwrite.

I haven't tested the saves it produces but I'm assuming they are okay.
The program also contains an EEPROM backup utility and it says something about that being different which I haven't really bothered to try and understand as I've only backed up the battery backed SRAM saves so far.

DaG

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You are missing Kuru Kuru Kururin. I have just disassembled my cartridge to change its battery.

Attachments

• photo_2019-11-03_09-59-58.jpg
    photo_2019-11-03_09-59-58.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 426

ClassyPhoenix2568

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i just got a copy of game & watch gallery 4 and took a peek in it and it has a battery in it

Attachments

• photo_2021-01-18_19-25-39.jpg
    photo_2021-01-18_19-25-39.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 215

UniKlixX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Just wanted to show you guys that Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Heartbreak, Megaman Battle Network 5 and Kirby and the Amazing Mirror doesn't necessarily use battery save despite some rumors stating that is the case. Here you can see my cartridges of those games and they all use FRAM. ^_^ But maybe the earlier versions use battery save and these are later versions :unsure:

Nevertheless I recommend adding "Only some use battery" for Ham-Ham Heartbreak. :)

IMG_20220221_134258.jpeg

Last edited by UniKlixX,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: