GameBoy Advance AC/DC Adapter

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Daragon13, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Daragon13
    OP

Daragon13 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2019
    Slovakia
    Hello,

I have these 3 GBA battery upgrades (see link of photo below) and I was wondering, what is the type of that female connector? I am asking that because I have the battery covers with DC converter integrated into it, but I have not got an AC/DC adapter. I want to find a cable with that connector to make my own adapter, but it looks like only nintendo has these type of cable male. It seems to be a little version of classic USB Type B cable using in printers, but that's only a first look on it.
    Image: https://www.savegames.eu/wp-content...C-Adapter-Set-Nintendo-Game-Boy-Advance-t.jpg
    There's the official Nintendo site: https://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/gameboyadvance/hook_acadapter.jsp
    They did not mentioned anything about that and support will not answer my question to this.

I would really appreciate your help, thank you in advance :)

Last edited by Daragon13, Apr 1, 2019
  2. angel_012007

angel_012007 Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 12, 2019
    Spain
    Madrid
    Hi @Daragon13,
    I have just the SAME issue (yes, really).
    I have been googling around last couple of days and I found:
    - It is a proprietary connector socket (female) & plug (male)
    - The shape and size are VERY similar to the DSi/DSi XL/2DS... DC charger connector, BUT it is not physically nor electrically compatible: does not fit, has pin polarity reversed and voltages are not the same
    - The AC/DC adapter itself (the part you plug to the mains) and the "battery thing" you & I have, can be found on eBay and some other markets, BUT I have not found any place you can find and buy a cable or just the connector: nor eBay, nor AliExpress, nor Alibaba...
    - The "battery thing" is just a cover and a kind of physical-adapter. It has no brains inside it (it is absolutely empty). All the electrical job is done in the AC/DC adapter itself (AC 110V/240V -> DC 3.3V)
    It looks like it has never been of any interest to any 3rd party or aftermarket manufacturer.
    Should I found some more news I will let you know.
    Angel.

Last edited by angel_012007, Apr 12, 2019
  3. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    Probably not much demand. 3rd party versions have normal DC plugs.

4. Daragon13
    OP

Daragon13 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2019
    Slovakia
    I really do not need a adapter, just a cable. You can easily find a lot of cheap adapters with USB socket. Maybe not 3.3V, but there is a voltage boost or voltage decreaser in a market. I've already bought an 5V 400mA adapter and then I try to reduce it on 3.3V. So, that's not a problem I think. The problem is that male connector. I have absolutely no idea what is it and where to find it. I left few messages on different forums, but nobody helped me. I wrote a message to official Nintendo in my country without answer :/
    Yea, I can buy a whole set, but for what do I have those "battery" parts? :D

If you found out more about this. Leave a post here, thank you. I appreciate that you did some research, too :)

5. MrCokeacola

MrCokeacola GBAtemp Fan

Feb 26, 2018
    Canada
    Wow never knew Nintendo made an official battery pack adapter for the GBA.

I've never had a problem with my "Hipgear" GBA ac/dc adapter and the barrel jack even works on a Gameboy Color too.

6. BORTZ

BORTZ The Amazing

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I don't know if this helps at all but I distincely remember having a separate battery back cover that attached to the batteries. It was its own AC adaptor. My dad was a cheapskate, but that meant I always had power for my GBA and never needed batteries when I was at home. So there are or at least were 3rd party solutions. Again, not sure if that helps.

7. Daragon13
    OP

Daragon13 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2019
    Slovakia
    to BORTZ:
    The best would be if you bring us more details about that third party solution. Some pics for example? Of course, if you still have it. Maybe we're talking about the same upgrade, because I did not find any third party replicas or it was a custom made upgrade, maybe??

There's also a solution. It is possible to solder wires directly into battery part without needing a cable. I just need a correct pinout, but that's not a problem, too. Angel, could you please send me the schema, if you found it?
    I am waiting for an adapter and then I try to make my own solution to this, because I think that male connector is typified only for Nintendo GBA devices and we won't find it anywhere.
    I just do not like this solution, because after customization it won't be an original. That's the reason why I asked.

8. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
  9. Daragon13
    OP

Daragon13 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2019
    Slovakia
    I see, they maybe came across the same problem as we did :D
    Never mind, I try to upgrade it at least into one piece.

10. Daragon13
    OP

Daragon13 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2019
    Slovakia
    Good news, I found the solution for this ^_^ . My customization required:
    -basic soldering
    -5V to 3.3V step-down module (if you can't find 3.3V adapter)
    -5V 500mA USB charging adapter (if you can't find 3.3V adapter)
    -Old charging adapter socket with USB male cable and male socket type (whatever it is just with the right dimensions)
    -multimeter

You need to remove that Nintendo socket from the board and locate + and - with multimeter. You need to do the same with old adapter socket you will insert back to the PCB board. Solder the socket with right pin position to the GBA AC/DC adapter board. Then you need to change 5V charging adapter with step-down module, so the output will be 3.3V. All done.

Before testing it you should find out if there are not any bridges in the PCB board. Then you can plug the adapter to wall and test it with multimer. A multimeter should show on the screen the output from AC/DC adapter 3.3V or -3.3V if you accidentally swap the polarity.

Then you can insert the AC/DC adapter to GBA and test it. It works for me.

I can leave some photos if someone would be interested.

Last edited by Daragon13, Jun 16, 2019
    MrCokeacola and alexander1970 like this.
  11. alexander1970

alexander1970 GBAtemp allows me to be here

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
    Congratulations.:)

Yes please if you be so kind and show us photos of your work.:yay:

12. Daragon13
    OP

Daragon13 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2019
    Slovakia
    So, in the picture 1 there is a power adapter with step down voltage module. The output was 5V, current output is 3.3V.

The second picture shows bottom side PCB of the same adapter.

In the third picture there is a final result of my work. I use this socket - can not say what it exactly is, I can't find the right name for this type of socket in my own mother language. Anyone could help? I need two more of them.

You can see unmodded AC/DC adapter with the right location of + and - in the picture 4. I needed to swap them, because I wanted to use NDS power socket which has + and - swapped. You can see the result of swapping in the picture 5. You must cut the copper parts to avoid bridges. Then you can easy solder some wires to swap + and -.
    Also I found out that the NDS power socket is little bit thicker, so that's the reason why I used type of socket in the picture 3. There was 4 pins in the original (holding pad,+,-,holding pad), but my socket has only two pins, so I needed to bridge them to create only two. Unfornutanely I broke one pad, so I use a red wire again.

6th and 7th pics shows the whole system. (Yeah, I have Fuchsia GBA, but not for me, it's for my GF :) )

Attached Files:

1.jpg
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
      2.jpg
      File size:
      1 MB
      Views:
      3.jpg
      File size:
      586.1 KB
      Views:
      4.jpg
      File size:
      684.9 KB
      Views:
      5.jpg
      File size:
      569.9 KB
      Views:
      6.jpg
      File size:
      1 MB
      Views:
      7.jpg
      File size:
      1.2 MB
      Views:
    Last edited by Daragon13, Jun 16, 2019
    MrCokeacola and alexander1970 like this.
  13. alexander1970

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
    Thank you.:)

I appreciate it and thank you for sharing your work with us.:yay:

14. Daragon13
    OP

Daragon13 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2019
    Slovakia
    You're welcome, hope this will be helpfull for others.

My question. Do you know how can I find that type of socket which I used on Ebay for exmaple? :D What is it called?

15. alexander1970

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
  16. Daragon13
    OP

Daragon13 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2019
    Slovakia
    Yea, I am looking for a socket, but the exact one I used in my modification which I mentioned today.

Last edited by Daragon13, Jun 17, 2019
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted