Hardware GAME Uk rip-off

Weaselpipe

Erratic Temp user
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spotted yesterday, the 'Offer' in GAME- 3ds with Oot OR RE-Mercs and a case for 'just' £239.99. No mention of the impending price drop, or that by paying that price you can have those 20 free games we were promised. Just a straight up rip-off!

Bear in mind the case is hideous and worth £6 in their very store, and you can get either of those games for about £27 just up the road. Oh, and the 3DS itself will soon be worth a fraction of that price. Disgusting.

On the plus side I bought Samurai Warriors in there for £17.99, then traded it in HMV 3 days later for £21. PROFIT

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I agree the savvy consumer would not opt for the deal but they can price it however they like... I am not sure why you are so incensed.

Weaselpipe

Erratic Temp user
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Because I have a problem with their pricing in general, and it just confirms beyond doubt everything I ever believed about them as a company. I had relaxed my view on them recently, as they had some almost reasonable deals going on but this combined with their bizarre policy of 4 staff to 1 customer (who all hover around you like wasps at a picnic) makes me rage

Weaselpipe

Erratic Temp user
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
My local one has a policy on haggling - "I'll have to ask the manager" followed by "I don't know if we're allowed to do that" followed by a good half an hour of haggling before you get any results! Easier to just go elsewhere!

I did ask them about the price drop and got told "The official line from Nintendo is that the price won't drop any time soon". When I told them they I already had a 3DS and access to the internet where I could see a variety of official statements to the contrary they claimed they knew nothing about it. Weird thing is, the GAME store about 2 miles away has a sign up about getting on the Ambassador programme, and someone's taken the time to put screenshots of all the known games on it.

rgros

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You should join Greenpeace or something
smile.gif
this kind of stuff always happens since mankind started trading several centuries ago
smile.gif

Nothing to be done about it, life is unfair for the less wary of their surrounding (or market in this case)

muckers

Trophies
XP
Country
Pong20302000 said:
you do realize you can haggle and change games in the bundles in GAME?

i used to work there so i know why they do it

if you dont haggle you wont get what you want

Perhaps you used to be able to, but not any more. The tills auto discount bundles - if you put a different game through (even a cheaper, pre-owned copy of a new game in a bundle) it just doesn't work. I guess you could do some manual discount trickery, but it shows up in the the discount report at the end of the day and the managers do not like it at all. Sometimes you get rare cases where you can get a chart game as part of a bundle, and trade it in for more than you paid for it.

F.E.A.R 3 was one of those games - pay an extra £20 and get it when you buy a 360 or PS3, but trade it in for £35. Often people want different games and you can work something out that way. But there is literally no way of simply swapping games in bundles. It's all too automatic and restricted now.

The price of a solus 3DS is still £199 in most places. As far as I know, the offer still stands at £199 for the Zelda/Mercenaries bundle. I worked yesterday and it was definitely still that price - commercial updates are done on Thursdays, so that price won't be right.

It's possible, but given the price of everything in the bundle I'd be extremely surprised. I'd hazard a guess that they've just got it wrong. The pre-owned price is £129.99 now though. You can understand the store not being given stuff to promote an impending price drop - it'll mean people won't buy something THAT VERY SECOND, and they'll wait.

Though I've been telling people to wait and get it post-price drop. Or to buy pre-owned, get it near mint and still get the 20 free games. They really should be pushing the 20 free games thing. It's an excellent incentive, I'm tempted to grab a pre-owned one to get the games.

If that price is right, though...then what a sh*tty bundle.
rolleyes.gif

boombox

Trophies
XP
Country
Wow..that's rather outrageous. Maybe the Manager in store is a bit crooked..because i really can't see a gamestore that doesn't know about general gaming news, and this is everywhere!

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
lol when i worked there i was the only one who knew about the 3DS and hung up pictures around the store

the manager thought it was fake until it finally got announced a week later and was like MMMwwwwhahaha

i try not to buy there but the deals friends and staff get is too tempting

boombox

Trophies
XP
Country
Pong20302000 said:
lol when i worked there i was the only one who knew about the 3DS and hung up pictures around the store

the manager thought it was fake until it finally got announced a week later and was like MMMwwwwhahaha

i try not to buy there but the deals friends and staff get is too tempting

I'd bloody love to work in Game or Gamestation!
Could i ask how you applied Pong?
Did you do a covering letter? and if so, was it business like, or did it have lots of character and a bit more easy-going?
I've applied 2 or 3 times now and i keep handing them in when they're not looking for anyone..just wish i could nail the time when they're looking, but they're always so vague.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Don't go in and ask, they just throw your CV away (I worked at Game too).
Gamestation is more relaxed while Game trys to pull the business look.

Apply to Gamestation :3

boombox

Trophies
XP
Country
prowler_ said:
Don't go in and ask, they just throw your CV away (I worked at Game too).
Gamestation is more relaxed while Game trys to pull the business look.

Apply to Gamestation :3

Oh yeah, definitely Gamestation, Game seems too..bright and businessy, exactly as you say.
I just know I'd be really good working there, I love games, I'm good with people, friendly and female..that's gotta rack in customers right?! haha.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Oh you're female?

Just walk on in and you'll probably get a job right there and then.

Edit: heh, I remember this one guy walked in asking for a job, his CV was written on paper.
He didn't even make it out the door before someone put it in the bin.

dsrules4

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i got my 3ds crom game and the price was unreal fro the time. i got the console for £145 and a game Lego Pirates for and extra £10. Maybe its just your game that rips people off.

badgerkins

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I find Gamestation to be more easy going than GAME. The staff are more approachable and seem more enthusiastic when they talk about games.

boombox

Trophies
XP
Country
prowler_ said:
Oh you're female?

Just walk on in and you'll probably get a job right there and then.

Edit: heh, I remember this one guy walked in asking for a job, his CV was written on paper.
Lol, bad times..obviously not that arsed about the job then >_<
Maybe if I print it on awesome paper, scented with hormones and perfume...and powered with Jedi force... you WILL employ me..you WILL employ me
wink.gif

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
badgerkins said:
I find Gamestation to be more easy going than GAME. The staff are more approachable and seem more enthusiastic when they talk about games.
Thats true for some reason lol.
I have been to many different Gamestation and Game stores and it applies to all of them
tongue.gif

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
GAME and Gamestation, despite being owned by the same parent company operate very differently.

The people they'll hire for GAME don't have to know shit about actually gaming, they just need to be able to sell stuff.
Gamestation however will value if the worker knows anything about gaming, which makes for engaging, informative and helpful discussion about what game to buy in the store.

Speaking of 3DS prices, a used 3DS in Gamestation right now is £129.99, whilst their new 3DS bundled with a game, I think that's £189.99, and that's before the official price drop.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
i did nothing special

just went in with CV and showed them i knew my stuff

also previous jobs where i sold stuff gave me glowing references

but i quit in the end
your not allowed to get Ill over Christmas and not expected to take a lunch break unless you worked 8 hours straight

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
prowler_ said:

What the hell else would it be written on? When I apply for jobs, my CV is always on paper (unless applying online, in which case its .pdf).

"Hi, I would like to apply for the vacancy... ...my CV, yeah, no problem. Here is is, typed up on a beaded seat cover..."

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.