Game to help you learn japanese

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Chaotic Kitten, Sep 23, 2008.

Sep 23, 2008
  1. Chaotic Kitten
    OP

Newcomer Chaotic Kitten Member

Australia
    I know this shouldn't really be in the hacking section but at the same time it sort of fits with the "translation" section of it, sort of...
    Basically, instead of constantly asking people to translate this or that, just learn the language.

"Kanji Sonomama is the perfect tool for anyone learning Japanese. I have been learning for about 1 year now and would find it hard to live without. This is a translator. You can write in English and get Japanese or write in Japanese and get English. Example sentences are given in Japanese and English for each word. Hiragana is given for the kanji but only when searched in Japanese. Basic knowledge of kanji stroke order is required. This is one of the best apps on the ds. Far better than buying an electronic dictionary and Cheaper."

Kanji Sonomama Rakubiki Jiten
    Release Date Apr 11, 2006
    Genre Language Learning Software
    Version Japan

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/arjj/ (Page is in japanese)

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9g-49-en-70-198v.html (page I found everything on)

Just google the info I'm sure you'll find something.

2. psycoblaster

Member psycoblaster Divine

Korea, South
    but it fits better in the games section.

3. Paranoid Mouse C

Member Paranoid Mouse C GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Thanks for shedding some light on this titile. I was Wondering if My INSERT_LANGUGE_HERE Coach games were the only retail intructional language games for the DS, but now I see that it isn't. This little gem will have to do untill My Japanese Coach gets released.

Now, if only a Hangul/Korean game/app existed for the DS. I can't find a single bloody Korean language eBook!

4. psycoblaster

Korea, South
    XP I can teach you korean [​IMG]

5. kryss

Member kryss GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    There is a Korean DS dictionary - "Touch Dictionary" it has Korean, Japanese and English.

As for rakubiki jiten helping you learn Japanese, good luck. It didn't teach me anything. You have to write kanji at full speed because it doesn't wait for you, which is VERY frustrating.
    Get "Nazotte oboeru otona no Kanji renshuu kanzenban". The best way to learn kanji on DS.
    I've heard "Anpanman's aiueo kyoshitsu" is good for kana, but I've never tried it.

You'll need a dictionary anyway, or just buy a pencil and a notebook, write it down to start with then look up the meanings after.

6. Glacius0

Member Glacius0 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    "Touch Dictionary" is a Korean Dictionary. It's like Rakubiki Jiten, but a little less easy to use since you can't draw characters.

@Psycoblaster: you live in Seoul? I'm here for a year to learn Korean. I live near SKKU.

Edit: ah, I posted a little late^^ as for Rakubiki Jiten not waiting till you finish..you can set the recognition speed to slow in the options menu. But I agree, it's a dictionary so it doesn't really teach you anything. Although it can help you while studying. I've used both dictionary programs during my study and I find them quite useful.

7. psycoblaster

Korea, South
    yup [​IMG] that's where I live

Touch Dictionary can be useful as a dictionary, but a dictionary won't get you anywhere in understanding sentences.

8. Chaotic Kitten
    OP

Newcomer Chaotic Kitten Member

Australia
    So which is the recommended game for helping you to learn?

9. Glacius0

Member Glacius0 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Right now, there is no simple way to learn Japanese on the DS right now, so you will just have to try a few of the suggestions made on this thread like Nazotte oboeru otona no Kanji renshuu kanzenban and Rakubiki Jiten.

However, when "My Japanese Coach" comes out (very soon) it will probably be an easy way to learn some Japanese. I think in your case this is your best bet.

10. Pokefandh

Newcomer Pokefandh Newbie

Spain
    Wait for My Japanese Coach. The Chinese one is great.

And get DS Kageyama Method: Tadashii Kanji Kakitori-Kun - Kondo wa Kanken Taisaku Dayo! to learn kanji.
    --------------------
    sig

11. Paranoid Mouse C

Member Paranoid Mouse C GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Great suggestions and recommendations, guys. Thanks a ton. I'm gonna play with all the mentioned apps/games today.