game size

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by El_Taco, Jan 1, 2010.

Jan 1, 2010

game size by El_Taco at 3:53 PM (783 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. El_Taco
    OP

Member El_Taco GBAtemp Regular

Switzerland
    Hello
    Was woundering about the size of the games, because the iso files are always around the same size but the dump of the game on a usb device in wbfs file is really variable(300mb(mario bros)- 4gb (Punch out) but the iso files are the same...)
    So was woundering why, if somone knows a reason, I'd enjoy him sharing it with me =)
    Thx

2. Ossot

Member Ossot GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The way the Wii reads discs, they must be the full size, taking up all 4.7gb. However, on most games a LOT of that is just buffer/blank data that's not actually needed.

That's why when you put it onto USB it shrinks down in size. The USB loader doesn't neeed that junk data and only takes what is actually needed.

3. El_Taco
    OP

Member El_Taco GBAtemp Regular

Switzerland
    okay thx =) was thinking it had lot to do with cinematics and musique in the game.
    Thx for the answer

4. razorback78

Member razorback78 GBAtemp Maniac

Philippines
    iso disc image files have so many unnecessary files on it. you could use wiiscrubber to remove unwanted files.

5. user0002

Member user0002 GBAtemp Regular

Finland
    I was surprised the New Super Mario Bros was so small in size when put on a usb drive.

6. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    It's a 2D game, those games are usually a lot smaller then 3D games.
    I don't complain though, less space on the HDD and less MB to download [​IMG]

7. Sir-Fritz

Member Sir-Fritz GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Actually its the opposite in graphics heavy 2d games. 2d sprites and backgrounds take up a lot of space at high resolutions compared to a 3d models that can be scaled. For example secret of monkey island special edition is 2gb and its entirely 2d but has 1920x1080 res backgrounds.