NULL

Game of Thrones series finale: how satisfied are you with how things ended?

Discussion in 'Books, Music, TV & Movies' started by Costello, May 21, 2019.

?
  1. Yes, I think the end was satisfying

66 vote(s)
    7.6%
  2. Eh, it was okay

127 vote(s)
    14.6%
  3. Didn't really like it, no

102 vote(s)
    11.8%
  4. Terrible. What a debacle!

111 vote(s)
    12.8%
  5. Never cared for Game of Thrones / didn't watch it

461 vote(s)
    53.2%
  1. Thardus

Thardus Member

Newcomer
    Jun 19, 2018
    United States
    Yeah, that's right. Recall the last feast scene: she knew that Jon was a leader that commanded love, and she realized her own leadership commanded fear. The last season was the parting of ways of the two.

They were longer episodes than I'm used to. I wanted to see it wrap up too, haha. There's only so much meat left on the bone before it starts ending up like Lost: a show I stopped watching after season 2, or like The Walking Dead, another show I just recently lost interest in.

2. Vulpes Abnocto

Vulpes Abnocto Not Dead Yet

Former Staff
    Jun 24, 2008
    United States
    [​IMG]

Flame likes this.
  3. crimpshrine

crimpshrine GBAtemp Regular

Jun 18, 2014
    United States
    Don't get the outrage, power corrupts even the best. Her character and some that blindly followed her played out within the series in plain site, it really should not have been a surprise. Seemed like a reasonable ending to me, I figured they would have made the ending more favorable for John Snow, but even that was pretty realistic. Things don't always work out in the end when you do what is right.

Minox likes this.
  4. Minox

Minox Thanks for the fish

Former Staff
    Aug 27, 2007
    Japan
    I believe they ended the show about as well as they could have. They didn't have source material to go by and ending a TV show usually does not go well.

Flame likes this.
  5. Benja81

Benja81 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    Benja81 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 24, 2015
    United States
    I'm happy with the ending, because it has been made pretty clear that it was GRRM's intended ending all along. What made it feel overly contrived on the show, is that the last 2 seasons combined (the bulk of Daenarys' character shift) was a combined 13 episodes only. When the last 2 books come out, I have a feeling GRRM will proved an insane amount of details and POVs to more naturally depict the swing in her personality. I still feel bad for Daenarys though, but she had it coming!

6. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    what happened in the last season just isn't a very natural continuation of what happened before.

the show so far, by taking out things and focusing on certain characters and actions (like dannys mostly good, non crazy deeds) wasn't the books and it didn't make sense to force it to conclude the way the books will likely end. I'm sure in the book it will absolutely make sense for her to go crazy like this at the end, but it didn't for the show. not like this.

i'm pretty eh either way, this wasn't really important to me, not more than any other show i watch.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

its just what happenes when writers want their showrunners to be likable to the audience. they calculated. they made her non insane for 7 seasons as to not throw o the show only fans and only brought the hammer down at the very end when it didn't matter anymore how people would react to it

7. Benja81

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Dec 24, 2015
    United States
    You mean writer, I know there are writers for the show, but they are following the original books for the first few seasons. Making Daenarys likable was not something the writers of the show came up with, Daenarys was always likable in the books too. I know the last 2 books are not out yet, but its clear GRRM was planting these seeds all along if you pay attention. She has always been a likable sociopath, but previously all of her interactions had warranted the outcome. So not many, including me, noticed it until she burned King's landing w/ everyone in it.

Last edited by Benja81, May 25, 2019
  8. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    they followed the books, but they did cherrypick what made it into the show and what didn't.
    and how certain actions were framed or weren't. and for danny, they framed everything in her favor right until the end. even early season breakdowns and fears of not being accepted if jons secret came out weren't exactly the insane paranoid delusions of a going crazy woman.
    and killing a dude plotting her end isn't exactly far from the norm in westeros.

overall, her big break felt more like she was possessed by a spirit at some point, instead of developing her character.

nothing she did this season really overlaps with what she did in seasons past either, besides killing. before, there was a greater good, always. she didn't kill innocents, she killed the puppetmasters at the top. she didn't kill just simply because it was the most convenient for her, though many of her kills helped her personally too.

of course she always killed, like most every other character in this show. but she killed what were objectively bad people or enemy soldiers, not randos that didn't exactly care who ruled them either way. until 2 eps ago when she killed just people in a city for no reason, after winning.

there was no build-up, no shift from killing the lords and ladies in (often abusive) power and their armies to killing most living beings just in her physical way. she just snapped for very thin reasons.

9. Benja81

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Dec 24, 2015
    United States
    https://screenrant.com/game-of-thrones-daenerys-targaryen-evil-deeds/

^^ They explained it very well, so I'll just let them do it. Its a lot to type and I'm at work lol.

Last edited by Benja81, May 25, 2019
  10. Spadezilla

Spadezilla GBAtemp Regular

Dec 19, 2013
    United States
    -10000/10

11. crimpshrine

Jun 18, 2014
    United States
    I find it funny that that needs to be pointed out. It's like, did we all watch the same show?? Everything in that list is right on, wonder if the portion of those upset are just suffering from cognitive dissonance. She was mostly a bad person, who did some good things along the way while the entire time further developing her bad side. John's character embodied being truly good and unselfish, the opposite of her.

gameboy and Benja81 like this.
  12. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    Idk, felt rushed to me.

13. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    None of those events compare to just murdering unarmed nobodies AFTER she won.

Her actions before weren't literally madness out of nowhere. They weren't entirely unwarranted considering they were in a conquest and meeting actual resistance. She had reason to kill soldiers here and lords there. She didn't have at the end. And inbetween, she didn't have serious reason to actually snap.

Again, no one is pretending that she was jesus christ himself before season 8. But she wasn't at all what she was in the last 2 eps of season 8.

14. crimpshrine

Jun 18, 2014
    United States
    Yeah I don't see it like that.

If you take any of the popular serial killers you would say they are truly evil, but in many cases there was a really long time before they first started killing where when you examine their behavior it was not anywhere near the same level as when they started killing (and whatever other sick behavior they did at that time) but in 95% of the serial killers it can be listed as all signs that there was something wrong.

I think with her character it is very similar. You say she was not at the person she was in the last 2 episodes, but if you take her actions in other episodes it makes sense. Again, I don't know why some don't see what allot of us do. That link (read it, it lays it out pretty well) describe her character traits through all the previous episodes that indicate she will eventually go mad. Just my opinion, but I think those that are upset are just too personally invested in her character and do not want to see reality.

Benja81 likes this.
  15. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    The previous seasons covered (roughly) a book per season, and each season had 10 episodes; the last season covered the plotted content of two books, in six episodes. Yeah, you could say it was a bit rushed.

GRRM outlined how the whole thing should end ("I want each (remaining) Stark kid to get their own kingdom to rule. Yes, even the bastard"), and left them to it. We expected them to get to that ending via some gradual progression that would feel natural (as they would over the course of two seasons). Instead we get three episodes of infodump (and three episodes of brooding) and that's it.

It reminds me of the Star Wars prequels where Anakin was supposed to fall to the dark side slowly and gradually over the course of years of traumatic experiences and growing feeling of powerlessness and frustration that despite his so-called "powers" he's unable to save people he cares about while at the same time growing disillusioned by the Jedi and the establishment, but in the movie we have "hey wanna join the Dark Side?" "Okay *slaughters a bunch of kids* "

Rushed.

And I have a feeling that Tyrion's speech about why Bran should be king is word for word how GRRM explained his reasoning as to why he wrote the ending that way. "I feel it makes for a good story, blah blah yadda yadda" and the show writers were like "Should we show and develop Bran's thread enough to convince the audience this is a good ending? Nah, let's just have someone spout this verbatim and call it a day."

So yeah.

16. lcie nimbus

lcie nimbus 100th degree asskicker

Dec 25, 2015
    Canada
    Alberta , Canada
    I watched, and loved all 7 seasons. Mostly because of the complex, layered plots and amazing acting. Season 8 lacked that. Enough said. There were exactly two points that interested me. The actual battle of Winterfell, and the Cleganebowl. I got the Cleganebowl.

Last edited by lcie nimbus, May 27, 2019
    WeedZ likes this.
  17. gameboy

gameboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    it wasnt bad. Its too bad the ginger wildling didnt win over the lady knight though.

18. Sethtimus Prime

Sethtimus Prime GBAtemp Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    United States
    Way too rushed. Maybe if they gave Bran some more story, it might start to make sense.

19. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Okay...I'm bumping this one. Reason: due to movement stuff, I only got around to watching the last seasons a few days ago (and thus, had to ignore pretty much any news on it).

I voted "it was okay". After hearing about how bad some considered it, I expected worse. But on the other hand: until season 6, game of thrones was head and shoulders above EACH AND EVERY OTHER series I've ever seen (and probably ever will see again).

Season seven clearly had less character development in it. Nothing much 'new' was added. Which was understandable: a story needs to have an ending.

Unfortunately, season 8 was all about the 'tying up the loose ends'. The problem isn't so much with the plot (ey: this is game of thrones. The fact that protagonists aren't immortal is one of the best features of the show), but as mentioned: in the rushed way everything had to be handled. A pity...but I don't consider the series spoiled by things like the following:

Warning: Spoilers inside!

20. Nicolez

Nicolez Member

Newcomer
    Friday
    China
    I may feel that the ending is a bit dull, or we may expect it to go in the direction we want, so it will be so big, but I started from high school, and until now I graduated from college, accompanied by a whole youth.

NULL