NULL

Game of Thrones series finale: how satisfied are you with how things ended?

Discussion in 'Books, Music, TV & Movies' started by Costello, May 21, 2019.

?
  1. Yes, I think the end was satisfying

66 vote(s)
    7.6%
  2. Eh, it was okay

127 vote(s)
    14.6%
  3. Didn't really like it, no

102 vote(s)
    11.8%
  4. Terrible. What a debacle!

111 vote(s)
    12.8%
  5. Never cared for Game of Thrones / didn't watch it

461 vote(s)
    53.2%

Front-page
    the-iron-throne..480x0_q71_crop-scale.
    This is it. The last episode of Game of Thrones has aired. The last episode of the eight season, The Iron Throne, is the last we will ever see of Game of Thrones. What a ride this has been, right? We are now running a quick poll to ask you whether you were satisfied with the way the series ended.

This post contains no spoilers, but obviously the comments will be full of them, so if you haven't seen it all, do not read any of the comments (duh!)
    So, what did you think? Vote!

PS: if you pick the last option in the poll, you may then want to navigate away from the thread. This is for GOT fans only ;)

Prans, peteruk, Hmed and 5 others like this.
    Discussion (79 replies)
  1. anhminh

anhminh Pirate since 2010

Sep 30, 2010
    Vietnam
    The show was discontinue after season 6 and I would wish they never continue it.

Hmed, Maximilious and Treflex like this.
  2. Asia81

Asia81 In my Ecchi World <3

Nov 15, 2014
    France
    Never cared for Game of Thrones / didn't watch it.

I just download it for my mother as she love it.

Hmed, Zense, Mr. Looigi and 1 other person like this.
  3. Costello
    OP

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    and you call yourself a geek? :D

Hmed and slaphappygamer like this.
  4. Asia81

Asia81 In my Ecchi World <3

Nov 15, 2014
    France
    I never did, but I would call myself otaku instead.

Hmed, RedoLane, popokakapetu and 3 others like this.
  5. DeadlyFoez

DeadlyFoez XFlak Fanboy

GBAtemp Patron
    DeadlyFoez is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 12, 2009
    United States
    I thought it was great! They left it open for spin offs. I hear lots of people are upset because it ended in a way that they did not expect, and thats what I thought was great about it.

6. SS4

SS4 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 13, 2010
    Canada
    In front of my Computer
    I'm not satisfied because even though its over we keep hearing about it nonstop . . . I'm sure its a decent show and i might get around to watch it someday but seriously can ppl stop with the fanboyism and saltiness overload lol

Hmed, CORE, urcent123 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Mikemk

Mikemk GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    And in 5 years, there'll be a campaign to unseat the MAd King Bran the Broken, who's already shown himself to be power hungry and uncaring about people!

Joking of course. Or am I?

kekoroto likes this.
  8. Delerious

Delerious GBAtemp Regular

May 10, 2018
    United States
    California
    I didn't particularly like how it ended, but I'm not gonna go on a nerd rage over it like people in the fandom have.

9. Chary

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    It was interesting. And I say this having only watched the last two episodes, and having had my parents excitedly try to recap me. 7/10 give me more dragons

FEF1, Zense and Mr. Looigi like this.
  10. Windaga

Windaga GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    New England
    I binged seasons 1-5, then started weekly from season 6 on. I thought the ending was fine. It wasn't as interesting as the rest of the show, and there were some things I'd like to see cleared up, but overall, I'm satisfied with how it ended.

11. SonyUSA

SonyUSA We're all mad here

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    SonyUSA is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 12, 2006
    United States
    Wow, what biased poll choices. XD I thought it was fine and everything rounded out fairly.

Meepers55 likes this.
  12. DarkCrudus

DarkCrudus The Ghost

Apr 15, 2007
    United States
    Minnesota
    You can tell the entire season was rushed. No problems with results of certain character arcs or endings, buuut could've had more build up to said endings.

Maximilious, Euphonique and osaka35 like this.
  13. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    Isn't the poll leaning too much towards the negative? Not that I don't care about it, I just have been watching other shows. With that said, just going say, I haven't seen a single episode and then jump away from this thread.

Meepers55 likes this.
  14. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    So originally I watched it for the boobies, but then the story was good too, I was happy with the ending, it seems so many people didn't notice Danerys going crazy through the series, I always felt it's where her story led, now Jon's ending could've been better, but personally I just thought they were all going to die.

Really bothers me that some people are just like "Dany was my favorite I hate this show now" means they just mindlessly watch, or probably watch while they do the Instagrams or somthing.

Last edited by Ericthegreat, May 21, 2019
  15. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

GBAtemp Patron
    osaka35 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    It was okay TV. it just wasn't good Game of Thrones.

The thing people tended to love about game of thrones is how characters drove the action. Plot lines stopped full-stop because another character did a thing that was true to their character and went stabby stabby to another one. Characters acted on things you'd forgotten about, but they didn't. Very much a character driven story with no real obvious outcome because of so many character interactions and the carefully crafted limited knowledge of the viewers.

After they ran out of book material, they stopped with character driven story and went plot driven story instead. Stuff happened because it needed to happen. it was destined to happen. Which doesn't necessarily mean a bad ending. As the story went into the end-game section, the outcome becomes clearer and the possibilities become far fewer. All they needed to do was keep true to the characters and respect their motivations.

They did not.

Dialogue became modern and stilted, which felt weird. Characters did things contrary to their arc and personality because the plot needed them to, or at the very least wasn't setup properly or at all. Characters constantly fast-traveled. Time skipped if they didn't feel like explaining how something happened. Things that should have happened, didn't. Small tweaks that'd make the plot work so much better just weren't done because...who knows. Danerys end-point makes perfect sense, but they didn't create a satisfying setup for her actions. She just did it because the plot needed her to. We needed to see the change. We needed to understand the change. We needed to feel and understand how it was maybe, just maybe, justified. We did not see it. She just did it.

They gave themselves a hard limit of a certain amount of episodes to finish the story, and wrote backwards from the ending. This would have been a great idea for a first draft...but they just went with it and didn't adapt to the story's needs.

It's disappointing. It was fine TV, entertaining, and we got an actual ending. But it was the worst of Game of Thrones, and a face-plant of an ending. Better than fade-to-black, though :P

Last edited by osaka35, May 21, 2019
  16. huma_dawii

huma_dawii GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth
    I wasn't happy about it. However I'm glad is over.. what a painful 2 last seasons... .__.

17. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Seems you like the series, what were your thoughts on the ending?

18. xs4all

xs4all GBAtemp Fan

Jun 9, 2008
    Australia
    Spoiler alert: There is some finger snapping going on and everyone dies, just saved you all the trouble of watching it.

osaka35 likes this.
  19. Costello
    OP

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    really? that was not conscious. I thought it was fair (2 positive options / 2 negative options, each with a different weight)
    would you have added another option? just curious

lexarvn and SonyUSA like this.
NULL