Game names, NDScrc etc.

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Regalia, Aug 1, 2008.

Aug 1, 2008

Game names, NDScrc etc. by Regalia at 11:58 AM (1,712 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. Regalia
    OP

Newcomer Regalia Newbie

Australia
    Hi all,

I'm new here, well not that new, since I've been lurking here as a guest for a month or so now. [​IMG]
    So, yeah, I kinda registered coz I'm pretty curious about this NDScrc thing (read the guide somewhere here). Yes, I know to some of you it's like breathing, but please bear with this n00b. ^^

What I want to know is, what is it NDScrc actually does in renaming rom files? I've got a couple of games with names like zz36.nds. Does the NDScrc script rename this? And to what? Some random style that I prefer? (e.g Supergame36.nds)
    And I also read that it renames the rom itself...what does this mean? I was wondering if this had anything to do with how the game name shows up in the menu of the cyclods card I have.

Thanks in advance.

(PS. I may have posted this in the wrong forum...but I originally thought I would be asking more about the games than the NDScrc... [​IMG])

2. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    This is a file renamer that let you find your game easily.

Looking for Rythme Tengoku Gold is easier if your file is named "Rythme tengoku gold" instead of "cnbs-rtg.zip"
    It doesn't change the ingame data, only the zip filename and the .nds filename inside your zip.

You point the folder where your roms are, and it will analyze and rename them automatically.

Then you asked if it will rename to string of your choice : yes, you can define renaming mask like :
    game name.nds
    or
    xxxx - game name (country)(release group)(number of languages).nds

all is up to you to choose.

3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    edit: wow I did not realise that much time had passed. Damn sea of tabs.

How it works. If I say I am going to give you a number and tell you it even but is actually odd when it comes out your end you know it is wrong, this process of generating a number from a file you can send to verify is called hashing. There as many odd as even so that is not good enough (instead crc32 is used and sometimes even stuff like md5 and sha1). People then make lists of the crc32 values for a rom and then roms your end have crc32 values made for them and compared against a list (there are many lists from many people and while names and numbers may vary these should not).

Rom itself: roms are generally easy to compress (between the padding and simple formats a lot of space is "wasted") so roms are generally zipped, rar compressed or 7zipped.
    Tools can rename the compressed file and the rom inside the compressed file.

The name it renames to is usually done by a string you set in the programs options menu, (this string can include rom name (internal (see below) or from a list), rom number, region, developer/publisher, crc, number of languages, release group, size and a fair bit more than that) which can usually include your own words if you want.

DS roms also have the name of the rom (as the manufacturer deems fit and often one for each of the languages the DS sports internally) as a part of the rom but to my knowledge this ndscrc does not change this (I think it was kyuzumaki who released an app called RomeR which was later incorporated into rominator (another app like NDScrc) that could do this).
    I have no cycloDS but a lot of cards do use this name in addition to the name of the file on the microSD.

re "PS". These forums are massive so most people use the view new posts button although it is still a good idea to post in a relevant section.

4. Regalia
    OP

Newcomer Regalia Newbie

Australia
    Thanks for the quick response guys. [​IMG]

So basically, NDScrc basically performs in a similar manner to the way I hash my anime files to match the hash/crc codes to the original files distributed, right? K then.

I'm pretty anal about these things, so I was also wondering, would getting the same rom from different releasers have any effect on the names appearing on the flashcard menus? (not the filename zz36.nds, but the one with the game's title). For example, if I got the name 'SONIC' from one rom, would a different copy of the same rom have say...'sonic' or 'Sonic' or something else?

Also, one final (hopefully) n00bie question...would it be correct to assume that if a rom is released by 4 different groups, then any one of them will be fine, since they should be the same?

Thanks again.

5. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    Yes, it's like your anime database file scanning and recognizing [​IMG]

Even if it's rare now to have many release for the same game, that still happen. (it happened frequently on gba, but with different intro added to the game so different CRC)
    In that case, yes if the dump is good, all the releases will be exactly similar and renamed using the .dat content. (the .dat is the database with all the information about CRC and names).

So, getting a rom from a different release group might not have any difference in the internal game name written on your flashcard.
    If the data is modified or the dump went wrong (bad or overdump), it is usually marked as NUKED, or "xxxx" in release number listing.