Hacking Game hang problems with USB Loader GX

Jeff Lavenz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been having troubles getting some GCN games working using Nintendont and USB Loader gx. The games I have been having troubles with are as follows:

• The spongebob squarepants movie: Game freezes after Nintendont loads the image.
    NHL 06: Freezes at language select unless you are really quick to select English. At the same time, the game also freezes at the pre-match loading screen.
    007: from Russia with love: game freezes after image load.

If anyone could help me fix this problem I would be grateful.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What version of Nintendont are you using and did you make sure your disc images are valid? There is a tool in my signature that can do that for you.

Jeff Lavenz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am using Nintendont version 3.331 (wii). I am unable to check the iso checksums because I don't have access to a computer currently. I might be able to check later though. At any rate is using the latest version of Nintendont a bad thing?

Jeff Lavenz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I probably won't be able to get on my dad's computer until tomorrow afternoon so I'd have to look for that revision then. As far as I know the three isos I downloaded- aside from NHL 06, which I had gcz compressed after trying to use Dolphin on my laptop before it died- are 1:1 isos. I had re-downloaded from Russia with love already and it had still not worked, so. I tend to delete archives for gamecube games because of their size hence why I would have to re-download NHL 06. Dunno about spongebob though.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
you should try to boot the game from nintendont when launching it directly from HBC.
if it's doing the same thing HBC->Nintendont, then it's not a USBLoaderGX issue.

if it works on HBC->nintendont but doesn't work with USBGX->nintendont, then it's a loader's setting issue.

Jeff Lavenz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have tried to run from Russia with love on hbc - >Nintendont but it would not work then either. Spongebob squarepants movie is the same way. NHL 06 I am going to get a new iso for later on as soon as I have these two working. So I have access to my dad's laptop now, should I get checksums for them?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yes, verify the checksum first.
if it matches redump.org checksums, look at the compatibility list and try the same setup/version/settings (if any setting is given).

Jeff Lavenz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have just checked the spongebob squarepants movie and it is not the same checksum as the one listed on redump.org. 007 from Russia with love is the same, however. So now I have no idea what the problem could be.

Jeff Lavenz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an update on the current situation. I have redownloaded the spongebob squarepants movie and I have found a working copy. So now it's just from Russia with love and NHL 06 that is giving me troubles.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Are you using component cable+480p?

Some games don't work with progressive patch, and nintendont is forcing that option if it detects your console is connected with component480p.
You can try to set your wii to 480i and try again, or use USBLoaderGX (which doesn't have the "forcing bug") but be sure to set video mode to "auto" and all other option to OFF (not use global) just to be sure it's really off.
you can also try to set the video mode to "force NTSC480i".

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Then I don't know.
If it's working for other users (you checked the compatibility list?), it's either your version of nintendont or your settings (disable memory card, wide screen, etc.)
I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work only for you.

You could try a different region for these games. maybe PAL could work on your NTSC console.
you can also report your issue in the nintendont main thread (there's a form on the first page to use to report issues/incompatibility), maybe someone else with these games could help you better than me.

Jeff Lavenz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then I don't know.
If it's working for other users (you checked the compatibility list?), it's either your version of nintendont or your settings (disable memory card, wide screen, etc.)
I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work only for you.

You could try a different region for these games. maybe PAL could work on your NTSC console.
you can also report your issue in the nintendont main thread (there's a form on the first page to use to report issues/incompatibility), maybe someone else with these games could help you better than me.

I'm not sure if PAL would work either, I'm kind of having troubles getting the PAL SA2B working as well, so. I did check the compatibility list for From Russia With Love, but the game is listed working. and the iso is 1:1. I didn't see any notes that say what to set for it though settingwise. I use Individual Memory Card emulation, 123 blocks as main settings. Everything else is at default settings, aside from ocarina, which I set on for SA2B NTSC-U and SADX NTSC-U.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
why are you using ocarina? (well, I'll suppose you tested without cheatcode too and it didn't work)
if you are still on 3.331, do you have kenobiwii.bin file?
you should update to 3.337 (or whatever the newer is), kenobi file is not needed anymore, more cheats are working too.

Jeff Lavenz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK I have been able to get NHL 06 working after having redownloaded the game. It still freezes at the language select unless you are really quick to select English, but now it continues working after the pre-match loading screen and the game plays okay. One more game to go. Now I am using the latest version of Nintendont available on Nintendont.net. But it is not the one that Cyan mentioned. I personally try to stick with stable releases but if 3.337 is a stable one, I will get it tomorrow morning while my dad is at work. Also note that I have also been unable to get PAL format GCN games working using Nintendont on my TV either. Just a black screen is all I get PAL-wise. If someone can test if NHL 06 freezes at the language select for them, I can file an issue claim on the Nintendont thread.

Jeff Lavenz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just curious, when I get that new update, is kenobiwii.bin still able to be left on the SD card? I don't want to get rid of it because I still want to keep it just in case I want to use codes on wii games. Also, I don't know if usb loader gx will allow me to use cheats on GCN games at all without that file.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yes, you can keep that file. It's used by other homebrew (sneek for example).
You don't need that file to use cheat on Wii games, USBLoaders already include it in their sources.

And like you said, the current last revision of USBLoaderGX (r1246) still check that file before launching nintendont.
I removed the check in 1247, it will be release soon.

Jeff Lavenz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright. Will the codes I have set with Ocarina (keep in mind I'm currently using codes only for sonic heroes, sadx and sa2b) still work after having updated Nintendont since it runs codes itself without sneek now in the latest release (3.341)? given I run nintendont through GX, I mean.

Last edited by Jeff Lavenz,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The arcade version is so fun but the ports yikes lol