Game Genie Game Patcher tool

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by cracker, Jul 4, 2007.

Jul 4, 2007

Game Genie Game Patcher tool by cracker at 5:41 AM (4,833 Views / 0 Likes) 23 replies

1. cracker
    OP

Member cracker Nyah!

United States
    Classic Cheat Code Game Patcher (CCCGP for short) is a program that takes Game Genie (GG) or Pro Action Replay/RAW (PAR) codes that you have copied from a website, etc. and automatically parses them for you so you (don't have to enter in one code at a time like other programs like you to do) which produces a list of available cheats for you. You can then select the cheats you want to apply to a game permanently and patch them directly into the game. You can then play your favorite games in ANY emulator (or if you're lucky enough to have the necessary equipment..the real consoles) with cheats! [​IMG] Note that you CAN'T turn the effects of the cheats off so I don't recommend using codes that require you to switch them off to continue.

Not sure if there that many people out there that still enjoy cheating for classic consoles but I hope there are at least a few!

Comments/feedback/bug reports are greatly appreciated!

Get it here!

2. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    Oh man, I used to love the Game Genie. I bought one at Liquidation World and Super Mario World 3 became soo much more fun haha.

3. cracker
    OP

Member cracker Nyah!

United States
    SMB3 is one of my favorite games to use cheats on as well. How can you resist skywalking (I can still see the icon of the Pyramid with an Eye in it next to this code in the codebook...), fly at any time, getting hit turns you into X, etc?! [​IMG]

4. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    Oh man, they sure knew how to cheat back then! [​IMG]

5. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I had advance warning of this but very nice work, even more so as my favourite emulators (PC and console) tend to be a bit light on the cheating side of things.

6. OSpencerO

Member OSpencerO GBAtemp Regular

From Nashville, Tennessee In Knoxville, Tennessee
    Iceland
    Cracker, This is Hella Coooool! [​IMG]

Spencer

7. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Very nice indeed Cracker! I very useful tool as I'm planning on getting flashcarts and what not for the rest of my consoles. Its pretty good for playing NES games on the M3 too.

Any chance of adding N64 support? I can play ROMs on mine and it would be nice to be able to crack open some games and get the secrets out and play them on a none emulator.

EDIT: I must be stupid because I can't get any NES roms to patch!

This is what I've got in the code input:
    SXUIEKVK
    Infinitelives

And at the patch select it says:
    SXUIEKVK - infinitelives - {5DA7:0?0}

When I patch the game I just get the message "something went wrong with patching...doh".

Tried several ROM's (with different codes of course) and same thing happens, I've read the readyou file kinda confusing (Probably because I've not slept since Tuesday) so I can't see what I'm doing wrong. Perhaps I'll try again when I've had some sleep.

8. cracker
    OP

Member cracker Nyah!

United States
    What is actually happening is that the parser is mistaking the first line for the description (thus assuming the second line is the code). Add a space between "Infinitelives" and it will correctly ID which is which. It is only necessary to do this for the first description and the rest of the codes will fall into place as long as every other line is the description:

Code:
    [description]
    [code]
    [description]

something like:

[code]
    [code]
    [description]

or:

[code]
    [description]
    [description]

will also throw off the parsing but usually pasted codes will work fine w/o any modification.

Have fun you cheater! [img]http://gbatemp.net/vanilla/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

9. Hadrian

United Kingdom
    Yeah I tried doing all those, with different roms its probably me or something. Or perhaps the codes are for the wrong region of rom.

10. cracker
    OP

Member cracker Nyah!

United States
    No it's just the format of the code. I can get the same, wrong decrypted address, value, compare {5DA7:0?0} but when I add a space between the two words in the code description it decrypts as it should {5CC0:AD?CE}. Remove all the codes from your list then add it back (with a space between the two words in the description) and you will see what I mean and the game will then patch fine.

11. Hadrian

United Kingdom
    Yeah I did exactly that when I first tried it.

SXUIEKVK
    infinite lives

Which game me:
    infinite lives - SXUIEKVK - {5CC0:AD?CE}

So it should work right? But I got the same result. I tried a random game Ducktale.nes for that. At first I thought it was just the rom so I tried several others and the same happens. Then I got different roms from different places, and also tried a few SNES games too...same thing. So something must be wrong at my end.

Its not really essential that I get them to work really so I'll probably give up.

12. camx

Member camx GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Is the process similar to apply gameshark codes? I want to cheat on some GBC games [​IMG]

13. cracker
    OP

Member cracker Nyah!

United States
    @hadrian: Something just hit me as to why you might be having problems patching games... I'm guessing you are trying to save the patched game under the same name. If this is the case then you must name it something different.

@camx: GameShark actually is a totally different beast. It pokes values into RAM (which can sometimes accomplish more with less codes but can also not be as powerful). The Game Genie actually alters the commands that the NES runs so instead of loading the number of lives from RAM, subtracting a life, and then storing it back to RAM you could do something like load the number of lives from RAM, subtract 0 from the number of lives thus leaving is the same, store the number of lives back to RAM. There are many ways to go about manipulating the commands -- some more safe than others. [​IMG] I've actually been wanting to check into how feasible it would be to make an automatic trainer generator for GB/C (and GBA) but I'm not sure if it will ever be much more than vaporware in my head. [​IMG]

14. Hadrian

United Kingdom
    [​IMG] I'm such a dumbass! Yeah works perfectly! Thanks a lot.

15. cracker
    OP

Member cracker Nyah!

United States
    Glad it's working for you.. Cuz classic gaming with cheats... *sniff*

16. camx

Member camx GBAtemp Fan

United States
    did some crystalis today with infinite MP. love you [​IMG]

17. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

United States
    Cracker I grabbed this from kodewerx this morning and played around with it today. Thanks to you I've beaten Kabuki Quantam Fighter, Street Fighter 2010, and Mighty Final Fight today lol [​IMG] Gonna tackle some Double Dragons 2morrow. Thanks for the valuable tool [​IMG]

18. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    Might someone be able to provide a link to a good webby for Game Genie codes?

Also it's a bit off topic, but this got me thinking about gba linkage with NDS games.
    Might it be possible to patch NDS games so that instead of searching for the GBA cartridge, they automatically assume it's there?

19. cracker
    OP

Member cracker Nyah!

United States
    GameGenie, Game Genie Code Creators Club, The Code Hut, and GameFAQs are all good places to look for codes.

Yeah it would be possible to make a patch to unlock stuff in a DS game w/o the GBA game. It's just a matter of finding the right opcode to alter or address to poke a value into. That is a simple explanation for a (more than likely) very tedious task though.

20. cracker
    OP

Member cracker Nyah!

United States
    Updated with PAR support for SNES, Genesis.