Game Freak title Giga Wrecker Alt. announced for consoles

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Jan 17, 2019.

Front-page

Rising Star Games will be bringing Pokemon developer Game Freak's latest title, Giga Wrecker Alt. to consoles soon. Giga Wrecker originally was an early access title that was fully released in 2017 for PC, while Giga Wrecker Alt. is a definitive version of the game, adding more content and features to a new release for Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4. The game is described as a 2D adventure game with physics puzzle elements. No release date was given, but Limited Run Games will assist in releasing a physical version of Giga Wrecker Alt. for PS4 and Switch.

Discussion (31 replies)
  1. Cubuss
    This message by Cubuss has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Jan 17, 2019, Reason: one word post.
    Jan 17, 2019
  2. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    Made by Game Freak but it looks like most indie titles.. Why was this style so popular?

Ericjwg likes this.
  3. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    Metroidvania, could be interesting.

4. chrisrlink

chrisrlink Intel Pentium III Hamster inside

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    inside your crappy old PC
    meh give them a break from their flagship title like way back in the day, I think this is to say "hey,we're just not pokemon here ya know"

Last edited by chrisrlink, Jan 17, 2019
  5. Limoon

Limoon Member

Newcomer
    Jan 17, 2019
    Turkey
    im a lemon
    looking forward to a pc release if it ever happens

6. Justinde75

Justinde75 Capsule Corp's VGM Addict

GBAtemp Patron
    Justinde75 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Feb 14, 2016
    Germany
    West City
    yikes this looks like a flash game

DKB, Ericjwg and Memoir like this.
  7. Flirkyn

Flirkyn GBAtemp Regular

Aug 9, 2014
    France
    Already own it on pc. Haven't played much but it was pretty good from what I've played. I hope those new content will come to steam version

8. Limoon

Limoon Member

Newcomer
    Jan 17, 2019
    Turkey
    im a lemon
    didn't knew it was on pc before, is it well optimized?

9. Flirkyn

Flirkyn GBAtemp Regular

Aug 9, 2014
    France
    Well it was a pc exclusive xD (the article said it).
    I haven't had any issue with my rx580, but it's not a demanding game tbh

Limoon likes this.
  10. Limoon

Limoon Member

Newcomer
    Jan 17, 2019
    Turkey
    im a lemon
    will check it out!

11. warweeny

warweeny GBAtemp Regular

Apr 25, 2011
    Netherlands
    It is popular because it is really easy to make, these remind me of the old flash video and games from newgrounds back in 2004.
    Popular does not mean good in this sense though.

That is because it is?

Vieela and Memoir like this.
  12. Vieela

Vieela GBATemp's official thinker™

Jan 18, 2017
    Brazil
    I really love the gameplay mechanics, but i really don't like the art style of it. Looks super clunky imo. Will give it a try when it comes out regardlessly, it really does sound fun.

13. TheMCNerd2017

TheMCNerd2017 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 21, 2017
    United States
    No PC edition?

14. radicalwookie

radicalwookie GBAtemp Fan

Sep 15, 2018
    United States
    Wow this.. this looks like it was made in 2004 and published on newgrounds for free

Bladexdsl likes this.
  15. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    That's a really good question. Usually "flash game" style--maybe "marionette sprites" would fit better--looks cheaply/lazily done to me to the point that I avoid them. The only game I can think of readily that I enjoy with that style is "Dust" and that's mostly because most the time it's not so obviously janky. I would point out that this general cheaply/lazily done isn't limited to indie titles. Look at most RPGs and overhead games with sprites and they also tend to look some sort of janky because movement speed/animation doesn't line up and/or there aren't enough animation frames. Conversely, there are plenty of indie games (CrossCode) which are the exact opposite and have good fluidity. So, I sort of feel you're unfairly tarnishing the word "indie titles". I guess that's because I don't group all non-studio games into "indie titles".

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N and Memoir like this.
  16. ken28

ken28 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 21, 2010
    Germany
    Can't read?..

17. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

Sep 6, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Bullet Hell
    I remember first seeing screens of this and hoping it would end up being a spiritual successor to Drilldozer... the final result seems far more generic and derivative.
    Probably worth picking up when it's in a sale.

18. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    "most indie titles" works as this seems to be the theme anymore. Yes, there are good indie games that obviously aren't meant to be lumped in here. To see such low effort from a big name developer is laughable.

19. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    I guess my issue is I sort of have this feeling that studios have 10-1000x the budget and 10-1000x the staff, while "indie" can mean one person doing asset swaps on a extant game engine. So, I definitely agree with you it's laughable to go with that style unless it was specifically done because someone actually thought it was aesthetically pleasing vs merely cheap to do. I guess I just wish there was some way to differentiate indie titles into better groupings because I'd be disappointed in Nicalis if they spit out a terrible game vs a lot of other indie companies/people where I'd just shrug it off. This also gets into whether one should consider Inti Creates or Wayforward "indie" or not.

tl;dr - I don't really disagree with you at all. Any time anyone falls very short of expectations, it's disappointing.

20. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

Sep 6, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Bullet Hell
    imo, it comes down to individual titles, whether it's being self published or if it's picked up by a major publisher. Game Freak, Wayforward, Inti Creates, etc, are not Indies when they're being published/distributed by Nintendo (or any other major publisher/distributor), but when they self publish they are.