Game Freak title Giga Wrecker Alt. announced for consoles

Rising Star Games will be bringing Pokemon developer Game Freak's latest title, Giga Wrecker Alt. to consoles soon. Giga Wrecker originally was an early access title that was fully released in 2017 for PC, while Giga Wrecker Alt. is a definitive version of the game, adding more content and features to a new release for Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4. The game is described as a 2D adventure game with physics puzzle elements. No release date was given, but Limited Run Games will assist in releasing a physical version of Giga Wrecker Alt. for PS4 and Switch.

Flirkyn

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Already own it on pc. Haven't played much but it was pretty good from what I've played. I hope those new content will come to steam version

warweeny

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Made by Game Freak but it looks like most indie titles.. Why was this style so popular?

It is popular because it is really easy to make, these remind me of the old flash video and games from newgrounds back in 2004.
Popular does not mean good in this sense though.

yikes this looks like a flash game

That is because it is?

Reactions: Vieela and Kioku

Vieela

GBATemp's official thinker™
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I really love the gameplay mechanics, but i really don't like the art style of it. Looks super clunky imo. Will give it a try when it comes out regardlessly, it really does sound fun.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Made by Game Freak but it looks like most indie titles.. Why was this style so popular?

That's a really good question. Usually "flash game" style--maybe "marionette sprites" would fit better--looks cheaply/lazily done to me to the point that I avoid them. The only game I can think of readily that I enjoy with that style is "Dust" and that's mostly because most the time it's not so obviously janky. I would point out that this general cheaply/lazily done isn't limited to indie titles. Look at most RPGs and overhead games with sprites and they also tend to look some sort of janky because movement speed/animation doesn't line up and/or there aren't enough animation frames. Conversely, there are plenty of indie games (CrossCode) which are the exact opposite and have good fluidity. So, I sort of feel you're unfairly tarnishing the word "indie titles". I guess that's because I don't group all non-studio games into "indie titles".

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I remember first seeing screens of this and hoping it would end up being a spiritual successor to Drilldozer... the final result seems far more generic and derivative.
Probably worth picking up when it's in a sale.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
That's a really good question. Usually "flash game" style--maybe "marionette sprites" would fit better--looks cheaply/lazily done to me to the point that I avoid them. The only game I can think of readily that I enjoy with that style is "Dust" and that's mostly because most the time it's not so obviously janky. I would point out that this general cheaply/lazily done isn't limited to indie titles. Look at most RPGs and overhead games with sprites and they also tend to look some sort of janky because movement speed/animation doesn't line up and/or there aren't enough animation frames. Conversely, there are plenty of indie games (CrossCode) which are the exact opposite and have good fluidity. So, I sort of feel you're unfairly tarnishing the word "indie titles". I guess that's because I don't group all non-studio games into "indie titles".
"most indie titles" works as this seems to be the theme anymore. Yes, there are good indie games that obviously aren't meant to be lumped in here. To see such low effort from a big name developer is laughable.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"most indie titles" works as this seems to be the theme anymore. Yes, there are good indie games that obviously aren't meant to be lumped in here. To see such low effort from a big name developer is laughable.

I guess my issue is I sort of have this feeling that studios have 10-1000x the budget and 10-1000x the staff, while "indie" can mean one person doing asset swaps on a extant game engine. So, I definitely agree with you it's laughable to go with that style unless it was specifically done because someone actually thought it was aesthetically pleasing vs merely cheap to do. I guess I just wish there was some way to differentiate indie titles into better groupings because I'd be disappointed in Nicalis if they spit out a terrible game vs a lot of other indie companies/people where I'd just shrug it off. This also gets into whether one should consider Inti Creates or Wayforward "indie" or not.

tl;dr - I don't really disagree with you at all. Any time anyone falls very short of expectations, it's disappointing.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This also gets into whether one should consider Inti Creates or Wayforward "indie" or not.
imo, it comes down to individual titles, whether it's being self published or if it's picked up by a major publisher. Game Freak, Wayforward, Inti Creates, etc, are not Indies when they're being published/distributed by Nintendo (or any other major publisher/distributor), but when they self publish they are.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night